Truck Speed Limiters Proposed by Feds

traacker

Seasoned Expediter
Researching
You are overthinking it. :D

Hmmmm.... are they forgetting the id plate on the vehicle, licensing process, DOT and other regs, and the basic physics that are used by the engineers to design the heat dissipation system within the parameters their trucks are designed around? Lotta time has passed using existing limits so when the speed drops will a well designed vehicle enter the fright system? $ of truck cost lower and with great engineering within the new parameters and not so good brakes. Enter the individual driver... what law...

Kazper

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
It truly is a fascinating debate that provokes a reaction from everybody involved.
Let's keep it simple.
If loads are dispatched at 47-48mph and trucks are governed at 67-68mph.. that is 20 minutes an hour that goes into the invisible time bank.
Everything encountered along the way is a deduction from that. Mandatory rest break, pre-trip, rolling through weigh stations for a mile at 15mph...
HoS allows extentions due to unforseen delays caused by weather or traffic.
As a team driver that is on the road from 10pm-10am, governed at 67mph.. I have consistently averaged between 660-690 miles in my 12 hours.
Night construction, morning rush hour.. sure, I have my share of delays.
Here's the secret.
Keep the wheels turning.
I have noticed that those who want to fight for the right to race around at 80mph in a large truck are typically trying to compensate for time they made a conscious decision to waste.
But cars are ungoverned?!
We don't drive cars. Accept it.
Dispatchers force us to run illegal.
No, they don't. Some drivers choose to.
Not enough time in the day to make miles?
Stop wasting it.
Trip planning is often (not always) the answer. We all know winter driving sucks.
Save laundry for the end of the run.
Snack the shift away and save the meals for when the truck is parked.
I take my showers during my mandatory mid-shift break.
Some people are willing to sacrifice comfort knowing that safety is the reward.
I have no problem with being held to a higher standard than the 'unprofessional' drivers.
My personal opinion is that governing all trucks is the right thing to do because, the vast majority of the time, it is the safe thing to do.
I get a kick out of the crazy justifications of the hardcore in the profession.
"Sometimes we HAVE to speed up to avoid an accident!"
In a vehicle that goes 0-60 in over 30 seconds? Hilarious. I'm guessing these are the ones throwing their truck in neutral down an 8% grade and mad that, instead of making money, they are waiting for hours in maintenance shops for overpriced parts and labor getting a monthly brake job.. while getting their 4mpg and complaining that fuel expenses kill profit margins.
I'm not perfect. I don't know it all.
I have my bad days when I lose hours and miles on detours around floods or loading dock miscommunications.
Driving to endanger is never the remedy for time lost. If a car wants to do 100mph, let them dig their grave. Thats their choice. It won't be my fault.
When somebody can provide me with a verifiable reference that states driving trucks faster is safer for everybody on the road, my opinion may change.
Until then.. I am just fine with my slow truck.
I eat well. I sleep well. I plan well. Although crazy things do happen, in my 7 years of otr, I have never had a late load due to my personal inability to stay on schedule. No citations. No accidents. No log violations.
I adapt to see the big picture.
Yes, even at 67mph.