Truck rolling

Janette

Seasoned Expediter
Driver
Is it normal for an automatic truck to roll when it's in driver or reverse, like it is in neutral?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Is it normal for an automatic truck to roll when it's in driver or reverse, like it is in neutral?
Cars roll when in drive or reverse..I would think trucks would too....BUT it should NOT roll when in neutral on level ground.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I've driven 4 different auto shifts, 2 KW's and 2 Freightliners.
All of them roll if you're not on level ground.
On the KW's I just used the trolly break to hold it still while I moved my foot.
On the Freightliners its "One foot on the brake and one on the gas"

Janette

Seasoned Expediter
Driver
I'm driving a 2008 Kenworth. The trolly brake idea sounds good. I have just been using two feet, which is okay but a little difficult. lol Thanks!

guido4475

Not a Member
I am thinking you are drivng a red Kenworth t-600 or 660 with an ultrashift transmission in it. Even though this is considered an automatic, it actually is an automated stick shift trans.When you let your foot off of the brake pedal, and put it on the gas, and give it gas, there is a short period where the engine rpms have to be at a certain point where the clutch will engage.This is why it rolls slightly.It is the same setup as a muscle car with a 2,500 rpm stall converter in the automatic trans, where the car wont move on it's own until the rpm's reach 2,500 rpm's.This can be a real pain in the rear while backing into a dock as well.