Big Truck Truck info

Rm0311

Rookie Expediter
I currently run a Sprinter but would like to step up to a straight truck. What make, engine , gear ratio, auto Trans is preferred. What is the cut off point for mileage.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Trucks that are 2007 MY and older have no DPF to worry about. 2010 and older generally have a DPF but no SCR.
Do you want to keep it under the GWVR that demands a CDL?

Freightliner M2 is popular, but I'm no fan of the CAT C7 engine. Cummins/PACCAR is preferred.
Hino 268 is under CDL GWVR, 338 requires a CDL. The Hino dealer network is not as well established, there have been a few complaints about repairs taking a long time. The engines, cab, wiring are all Hino specific, but the rest of the chassis is built from readily available USA components.

Then there are various International trucks. DT466 engines are not exactly powerful or fuel efficient, but they are reliable and parts are readily available.

Multiple Allison automatic transmissions are available for all of these.

There is no single truck that I can recommend over the others. They all have strong and weak points.

Tobster317

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Also don't forget about age limit. Some company's want the truck to be less than 10 years old to sign on with them.