Truck delima..

Texpress

Seasoned Expediter
..actually it's more of a business decision. I've been lurking here for a while so let me get the basics outta the way. I have a Class A (T,Dbl,Trpl,H,P) but I'm not really looking at driving a straight truck (D). I'm thinking more along the cargo van lines (E Series ford 7.3) I actually wouldn't think of driving a four wheeler but since I have all those letters on my license I guess i can still be professional (Just funnin ya mr. Rlent).

I did some line haul for FedX and then took a contract with one of their "Home Delivery" terminals. This brings me to my delima, when I was with fedex Home I had a E350(dsl) cargo van I also had a E450(dsl) Cutaway Van with a 15' box. I ran them both mostly rural 300-450 miles a day.

Now the E450 is a class 3 (GVW 10,001-14,000 lbs). Now if memory serves me, driving the E450 would put me in an "hours of service" catagory as opposed to the regular -10,000 lbs cargo van. So there's my delima is the extra weight capability, and maybe even space for a small bunk, worth taking on the hassles of Log Books etc..? If you're having trouble visioning the cataway van I'm talking about here's one on ebay. I'm not interested in this particular vehicle, I have access to some else where.

eBay Motors: 04 Ford E-450 (item 170298632125 end time Feb-06-09 07:07:01 PST)

Thanks in advance for not telling me how bad it is out there right now and how stupid I am. For many years I have always driven when things in my business get bad.. it's just what I do. Oh and btw I'm a Real Estate Home Inspector by trade as well as a licensed RE Agent... nuff said?

I really would appreciate any input from you guys, both straight truck and van drivers please. My MPG in the E450 was between 14-16 but although it was mostly rural my drivers obviously had to stop every twenty to thirty minutes. Other than a couple of less mpg and two extra tires, and a little bit higher insurance with the E450 there's not that much difference in the up-keep between the E450 and the E350. I'm trying to give you as much info as possible. So what's the best choice? Your thoughts? Thanks, dave

moose

Veteran Expediter
Dave,
Welcome.
so far its look like you are going the right way .
reading back , and asking ,
we will be happy to advise.

if you decide to go Log booking , your main competition will be the class C trucks.
so if you will be limited your cargo space and wight , you will have a hard time keeping busy .

you must answer the question : how long are you going to do this. and make a business plan that you can make a living from.

you will have to find your costumers , in this business , it is more likely that you will find them as you lease to a carrier , yet you will have to find a carrier that can keep your CV/truck busy .
normally it is the other way around ,you first ask your carrier of choice what his needs are , and then you buy the right tool to serve those needs.

with all of your credentials , you might be limiting your income by driving a CV.even if you have a van sitting at home , it might be wise to drive for an owner first ,at least for a limited time.
Good luck.

Moose.
E.St.Louis.

Texpress

Seasoned Expediter
Hey Moose,

Thanks for the reply. As for driving the straight truck for someone, I thought about that originally but as I read though here and looked at the ads it seems that straight truck owners want teams. I can't says that I blame em.

One thing I was thinking is that with these hard times comin on and all this sittin and waiten maybe the fact that you have two people loosing money sittin in a truck.. maybe solos will make a come back.

Either way, you're right I was planning on signing on with a carrier, if not driving for someone, for at least a year.. unless this economy turns :confused:

moose

Veteran Expediter
' as well as a licensed RE Agent...'
what is that ?

and what is the "P" on your CDL for ?

Moose.

moose

Veteran Expediter
and did you got the HazPrint and background check for the Haz-mat ?
or is it an old endorsement ?

one more thing you can do in advanced is get a FAST card for Canadian Crossing .

where do you live ?

Moose.

Texpress

Seasoned Expediter
Yeah RE = Real Esate agent and the P=Passenger. To answer the question on my Haz endorsement it's old so yes I am going down to take a new test and have the background check this week.

Our lab puppy ate my license (and many other things in our home) so when I went down to get a duplicate I was told that all my other endorsements would roll over but I would have to take a new test for hazmat. So I will do that this week..

I'm located between Austin and San Antonio. The fast pass is a good idea. Should I wait till I find a carrier, or should I do that on my own? Thanks, dave

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
might mention there are 7 different Haz-Mat tests to take there and to know all 7 of them,to find them scroll down the left side of page to find the other 6

Texpress

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks Moose and Richard,

Good stuff.. I guess hazmat now falls under the "homeland security" stuff. Do CVs have to follow the FMC or DOT rules and regs? Hmm..to answer my own question.. I'm sure they do if they are operating as a commercial vehicle. Any thoughts on the truck delima? I will probably be talking to some recruiters later this week I may find that the E450 Box van is not acceptable in some fleets. Anyway, thanks for all the help. dave

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Some states Require Cargo Vans to cross scales, as for the rest We don't have HOS rules or Log if your under 10,000 GVW. Every Carrier and even Brokers has some sort of rules for Cargo Vans, and No 2 Carriers are alike.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Cargo van drivers must log when hauling hazmat. And doesn't Alabama require them to log as well?

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Tex, it does not appear you have a dilemma at this point. BUT, if you put a truck on the road with the intention of putting a driver/s in it so they may pay for it for you, you certainly will have. Jes my 02.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Cargo van drivers must log when hauling hazmat. And doesn't Alabama require them to log as well?

I got told last week by someone who is supposed to know these things that vans are required to log in AL as well as NY and VA. I have not had the time to search it out myself but it sure surprised me!!

PS And log Hazmat everywhere.

Texpress

Seasoned Expediter
Tex, it does not appear you have a dilemma at this point. BUT, if you put a truck on the road with the intention of putting a driver/s in it so they may pay for it for you, you certainly will have. Jes my 02.

LOL.. thanks X0 but I'm still torn between the F450 Cutaway box van and the regular E350 cargo van. But the one thing I'm sure of is that I WILL NOT be a fleet owner and/or even slip seat a truck. Not going to happen.. Although my "fleet" was just a Home Delivery contract I don't plan to deal with drivers and torn up equipment etc etc.. ever again! No offense to anyone that is driving for someone. I know there are some good drivers out there and some guys I hired started out good but then... came the call. I think I replaced mirrors on one E450 five times in six months. And then the guy backed into a doctor. I promise if I had it to do over (which I wont) I would take reverse out of my trucks first day.

Texpress

Seasoned Expediter
I got told last week by someone who is supposed to know these things that vans are required to log in AL as well as NY and VA. I have not had the time to search it out myself but it sure surprised me!!

PS And log Hazmat everywhere.

When Ya'll say "Log" does that mean that the van driver is held to HOS regs or just keeping the records?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
It means HOS apply. I thought that Al and NY required logging, but I'd not heard of Va. I never logged in the van, except when hauling Hazmat, though.

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
Texpress sez about his driver: "And then the guy backed into a doctor." Ouch!! At least he didn't have far to go to get medical help.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Your Right Cheri, Guess I've been gone for so long I'm starting to forget what I used to know.

Last edited: