Tri-States new short haul division? Thoughts?

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Talked to a Tri State rep the other day, about their new short haul division, which is non sleeper equipped straight trucks based out of Michigan, Indiana, and Ohio. Apparently they just started doing this a few months ago, and I called to inquire, because I noticed in an ad, they were hiring non sleeper trucks now. I've always liked to "run home" when I could, and with this, you can go home every day, cause they only dispatch you in a 250 mile radius. I was told these drivers are averaging 1000-1200 per week, which I'm thinking would be ok, due to the reduced costs, ie... non sleeper trucks are cheaper, sometimes less than a decent van, easier to resell, lighter, therefore less to tag, because a 26,000 lb truck, can still scale 13,000, don't have all the "on the road" expenses, showers, etc, and I sleep in my own bed.... and make as much or more than I did being cramped up in my van for days at a time (I'm 6 foot 4.. LOL) plus, I was told I'm in a good area, Columbus, Ohio, and they run a good bit from Columbus to Detroit, Pittsburgh, and Indianapolis.

Thoughts?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
wife and I team for tri-state. don't think it will affect team operations but might have a negitive effect on single operators. Then again maybe they will get or retain more customers. Would have to be implemented quickly so single operators are not sitting to much.:+

Twistoff

Expert Expediter
I spoke to a friend of mine that drives for Tri-State. The short-haul is to help support the Intra Michigan, cross border shipments being offered on the NLMI website(automotive). Tri-State, like all other carriers are required to bid on the freight so there is no guarantee they will successfully secure the shipments. They are awarded alot of shipments from NLMI but to put your livilyhood on what "could be" is risky. Just my opinion!

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
That operation reminds me of the old AutoQuick that Roberts used to have some time ago.The runs were relatively short,big discounts and running mainly into KoKomo and Detroit. I met several drivers from AutoQuick and no one was making any real money.But they were allowed to have older and smaller trucks which did not cost as much to run.One guy even had a old Hertz D type truck with a Chevy 454 gas engine,he got about 5 MPG ,but the truck only cost about $17,000 with 80,000 miles on it.I believe AutoQuick went away a couple of years ago but since Tri State does so much GM Business it might be succesfull.

Marty

Veteran Expediter
Investigate this well before making your decision.
I drive for Tri-State but I know very little about their short haul division. All I can tell you is that now is the slowest I have ever seen in over 5 years of being with Tri-State. I just had three weeks in a row in which I didn't even gross $500. I am going broke and will probably have to leave them.
Tri-State stated in a recent news letter that the reason their reveues are down is because they don't have enough vehicles. For this reason they instituted a bonus program in which they will pay $50 to any driver who gets someone else signed-on with them.
Even though this is traditionally the busy season, there are vans and trucks setting everywhere. I have been averaging 2 to 3 short loads a week. Before last year I never sat more than one day. Even though Tri-State's rates are lower than the other major companies, they keeped you busy enough to do well with them. This is no longer the case.
Tri-State has a problem in that many of their loads are not covered. They state that the reason for this is not enough vehicles. The real reason is that so many driver are doing so bad finacially that they can't afford to take low paying short runs, or to deadhead far, or to wait up to 24 hours to pick up a load.
I believe that Tri-State could remedy this situation by innovating a new policy that will give drivers incentive to take shorter runs without going broke doing so. This way they can cover more loads with less vehicles. Mabye something like considering any run under 150 or 200 miles long to be a local run for which one doesn't lose his board position.
As for now Tri-State leadership believes that over-hiring is the solution. If they have an overage of driver sitting all over the country, desperate for a load, then they will take any load they are offered. This may be good for Tri-State in the short run, but it is devestating to their drivers. In the long run this won't be good for Tri-State either. Eventually enough people will learn about what is happening and there will be a shortage of drivers willing to lease on.
Tri-State needs to find innovative ways to make every vehicle more productive instead of over-hiring and high turn over.
I hope this will be helpful to you. As I said, investigate this well before signing on. Ask as many drivers as you can to get a well rounded view on which to make you dicision. Don't let your emotions lead you to dive head first into shallow waters.

treeman

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
FedEx also has a program similiar to this. I don't know if they have a name for it but they call them regional drivers. I think they only get loads up to 200 miles. I also was told they were only hiring teams in my area. Maybe this is a way to cover the short runs a team or someone away from home doesn't want. I have turned down short runs because they will often take up most of your day and don't pay enough to split the revenue and have it worth while for a team. If they kept you busy, I'd be happy making less money with a cheaper truck and being home every night, or even nearly every night. Might be worth checking out!

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
I worked with the old autoquick for a while after my farmall got
"too old" to run for fedup. Sounds like about the same deal. But,
when they hit you with a load at 1800 that picks up in Columbus, and
delivers in Akron and pays $86 watcha gonna do?? Probably, turn it down! and, after you've turned it down two more times you're outa
service. Or, they hit yu with a load at 1800 Columbus - Detroit. Be
midnite+ when you get delivered. Not too much freight that time a
nite. Then whatcha gonna do without a sleeper???? That "stay at
home" carrot gets a lot of them. As you can imagine it don't happen
very often that she's a good situation for the clown pack'in the
freight. Bottom line--- they ain't no free (or even cheap)lunch.