Tri-State or Conway now

romoore245

Expert Expediter
Teams please help we have just bought an older truck these are our only choices with a 97 model. We have read some of the past threads but they seem to be mostly from solo drivers that does not help a team make an informed decision, if anyone has any info about either company please help. Thanks

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
Your attitude is more important than the company you choose! As a team you will make it at either of these quality companys! Interview them the way they would interview you. Tell them your financial needs and above all be honest. In real estate it's location, location, location! In expedeiting it's atitude, atitude atitude!

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
I agree with Glen. You have all the basics for a good chance at success:

1. Carriers with a large customer base
2. Your running as a team
3. Your running a straight truck.

By these three choices you should do ok to very well.

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine

-----------------------------------------
Thanks For Visiting EO!

http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

-----------------------------------------

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Not sure on these companies requirements but a 97 may be too old. Our experience with Tri-State was not a positive one. Don't know about Conway. Tri-State has made some changes so you should read some of the posts on here. We had a truck on with them alittle over a year ago. Not sure how they are now

ATeam

Retired Expediter
When my wife and I were researching the industry and selecting a carrier, we interviewed recruiters, fleet owners, and drivers from each carrier. Recruiters were willing to refer us to their drivers and drivers were willing to chat away. Of course a recruiters did not refer us to unhappy drivers, but the driver visits were very informative just the same.

Perhaps you can do the same. Get team driver referrals from TriState and Conway NOW. Prepare a list of questions and interview the drivers with the same questions. Ask quesions drivers can easily answer without getting in trouble with the company, such as:

What areas do you run in the most?

How are you paid?

How long do you typically wait between loads?

If you do (turn down load, drive out of route, ask for help getting home, go out of service for X amount of time, ...whatever), how does the company respond?

Be respectful of drivers' time and cell phone minutes. Offer to send them a check to reimburse them for the call.

By comparring responses from two or more teams with your carriers of choice, you should be able to make a well-informed choice.

Glen's point about attitude is important too. Both Conway Now and Tri
State are established players in the business. Like all carriers, they have happy drivers and some that are not so happy. If you do what the good teams do, you'll do well with either carrier.

Perhaps other drivers can help here. If you were in romoore245's shoes, what questions would you want to ask driving teams with Conway NOW and TriState?

raceman

Veteran Expediter
raceman

I ran Teams and Solos with Tri State. Overall I think it is a good company. I was very happy there as a team. Solo was too much dead head and short runs. As a team the truck was rarely turned off or not moving with freight. The down side to Tri State is that they do not help their trucks in breakdown situations. If you are loaded they will get your freight off then you are on your own. I found the people there to all be great but I was very unhappy with solo loaded miles, amount of deadhead, they do not seem to really know how to best utilize trucks by location and they are of very little help if you want to head home. I would recommend them for teams but be sure you can take care of yourself if you breakdown.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
>What question would a driver get in trouble for answering?

If a driver has a security clearance and offers information he or she should not, a lot of trouble could follow. If a driver is asked for his or her personal opinion of a certain corporate official and the driver in a heated moment commits slander, trouble could follow.

When one driver responds to interview questions presented by a prospective driver, the first driver should be mindful that the interviewer is a total stranger. Trustworthiness has not been established. A prospective driver would be wise to not ask questions that wouild put the interviewed driver in a position of potential trouble.

In other words, for both interviewer and interviewee, be professional and be worthy of the trust a carrier is willing to place in you. The truth will still come out. It always does.

romoore245

Expert Expediter
I do agree with this, i have worked with expedite soultions driving for conway now for the past year and have never said anything but positive about either. I know no company is 100% good, but reflectiing only thier best means you will always have a place among their ranks. Even when it was the worst day ever. Still have not decided which my wife and I should spend the next year with, whichever it is we will make them a lot of money and that is where the delimia lies. We know what we are capable of. Keep that great input coming. Thanks for it all.

G

I have beem with both. Con-Way Now is a much better company I think. They seem to have other options on getting you loads and plus you can get up to 50% of your money on a straight truck once you are loaded. To me Con-Way is the way to go and Im running teams right now with them and there keeping us busy.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I simply tell it like it is. If statements are factual, I am not worried about a slander suit or anything else. Like you said, the truth will come out. However, sometimes when that truth is shown, it may be a little late for some folks. As you read alot of these posts you will quickly realize what I mean.
On a side note, as far as security issues, I am not sure why a prospective owner operator would even ask that type of question?
The only one that comes to mind would be Haz-Mat, but that would be safety related more than security.
Military loads change consistantly so there is nothing to offer there.

trhoades

Expert Expediter
You might want to take the time to go to the exp show in august. You should have the opportunity to meet some team drivers from both companys. Also, you'll have an opportunity to meet face to face with the recruiters. And if your just starting out, you'll definately pickup a few pointers at thje very least. Just my 2 cents thx.

Tim Rhoades

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
dave, as to your reply #11 i can only say RIGHT ON !!!!. i just wish everyone had the courage to tell it like it is.DD

romoore245

Expert Expediter
Just an update

We went with conway everything seemed great, but on our first run we were rear ended by a 98 kenworth messed up our truck a little. totaled out the kenworth. Were alright the other driver is alright everyone was just shaken up. Seems the other driver nodded off with his cruies set on 70mph. It was his second wreck in a month. We just dont know how this is going to turn. we'll keep everyone posted.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
What a way to get started! A trailer shop should have you in and out in a day. It looks like a AB box, and I think they garantee to have you in and out in 24 hrs. I think I read that somewhere but not sure if that is there true turn around time. They should have those doors readily available as their boxes all look alike. Didn't look like you had any box or frame damage from the picture.

romoore245

Expert Expediter
It was a mess we had to be towed because the fan housing was hitting the fan so the frame be bent somewhat. Those two were the only pics i have as of yet. He hit us deadon in the rear then drove up our side hitting us three or four times once just under the sleeper I dont know how he made it out of his truck okay.

catfish

Expert Expediter
holy cow, that driver was lucky. looks like it used to be a t2000. can't say i'd want to wreck one, i've seen a few wrecked and one looked worse than that. hard to believe a 6-wheeler could tear up a tractor that bad. just glad to hear that everyone walked away from it.