Transport Straight Truck?

BigDiesel

Expert Expediter
I finally got a straight truck but I need a way to get it to me in Ohio. I dont have my CDL yet so I cant pick it up. I was wondering if any teams driving for ConWay-Now would like to make some extra money and pick it up for me in Alabama and deliver it to me in Ohio approx 720 miles ? If you do contact me via Email. Thanks

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
As long as your only driving empty back to the Buckeye I don't think you would have a problem just flying down and bouncing home. I would not stop at scales like the U-Haul trucks do. Just a thought. Good luck with the new adventure! The freight is there and fuel surcharges are stronger than fuel prices. I believe it is a great time to make some great money in todays market. Watch those pennys and bank what you can.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
Anyone driving from AL to OH would likely drive I-65 through TN . DOT sets up in a rest area at the 48 mile marker and waves all trucks in . They check log books , puysical cards , everything . How would the truck be tagged ? What insurance coverage does it have ?

BigDiesel

Expert Expediter
Its already licensed and tagged by ConWay-Now and it will remain with them also. Thats why I wanted to have someone from Conway Drive it. It will be insured also.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Its already licensed and tagged by ConWay-Now and it will remain with them also. Thats why I wanted to have someone from Conway Drive it. It will be insured also.

Being tagged by Conway is what killed you. That makes it a commercial vehicle. You would have been better to put a 30 day transit tag and a Not For Hire sign on it. Conway could still carry the insurance. This is how most dealers move trucks around.

The part I am not sure on, is whether you would still need a CDL? At least they likely wouldn't stop you. A dealership could answer that question.

Davekc

geo956

Expert Expediter
Hey BigDiesel....Congratulations on the purchase. What kind of truck did you end up buying? Class7 or 8? Engine, miles etc?

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
When I drove my truck home from WA, I was stopped at the scales even though I had "not for hire" on the side. My logbook was checked, and I had to buy permits for several states. I would advise someone with a cdl drive it back. Otherwise, you're looking for a headache.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
You must have had a base plate if they wanted you to buy permits. The 30 day transit tag would exempt the permit issue.

Davekc

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
BigD, If you fly me down, I'll be happy to drive the truck back to Ohio for you. $.25 per mile and a one-way ticket. My bag is packed and my log book is up to date!

Rex

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
People confuse the meaning of "Not for hire" . This just indicates you aren't hauling someone else's goods and don't need hauling authority and an MC number . Private carriers with commercial vehicles have to meet all other requirements . The single state apportioning plan will be phased out and private carriers will have to participate in the plan that replaces it . Supposedly this will lower charges for the for hire carriers .

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
>People confuse the meaning of "Not for hire" . This just
>indicates you aren't hauling someone else's goods and don't
>need hauling authority and an MC number . Private carriers
>with commercial vehicles have to meet all other requirements
>. The single state apportioning plan will be phased out and
>private carriers will have to participate in the plan that
>replaces it . Supposedly this will lower charges for the for
>hire carriers .

You are correct. That is why in his case, he needed a transit tag. However, it was already plated, thus needing a driver to move it for him in a commercial fashion.

Good info.

Davekc

BigDiesel

Expert Expediter
Thanks for the help and all the input, the truck will be delivered Wed. night. Again thanks for the help guys. Mike

Here she is:

Aint she purdy?? :) :)