Transmission

roadeater

Active Expediter
I have an 2003 chevy express van with 300029 mi on it and the transmission its giving me problems, now I had to replace it..anyone else has had the same problem?

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
I have an 2003 chevy express van with 300029 mi on it and the transmission its giving me problems, now I had to replace it..anyone else has had the same problem?

You made it past most.. Mine puked at 252K...

250-280K tends to be the failure point.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
380,000 on my 06 express when I changed out the trans.

Sent from my ADR6300 using EO Forums

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I am gettin old, but if my memory serves me right, my 05 went 286,000, crapped out in Miami a Fla..so while it cost me a few bucks and 2 days lost of time, it was all good as i "enjoyed the sights and sounds"....:)

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I agree with Scott's disagreement. I have had two Chevys and no transmission problems. My 04 has 587,000 miles on it. I recently replaced the rear seal and it has had a couple of filter and fluid changes. Bullets can't stop it. Rockets can't stop it. We may have to use nuclear force. FZ

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Either you and I have been very fortunate or some others are overloading and abusing their vans.

Roadeater, is your van a 3500? I think maybe the 6.0 in the 3500 might come with a beefier transmission.

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
Either you and I have been very fortunate or some others are overloading and abusing their vans.

Roadeater, is your van a 3500? I think maybe the 6.0 in the 3500 might come with a beefier transmission.

4L80E in the 1 tons. I think the 3/4 has the 4L60E. I know the half tons do.

roadeater

Active Expediter
Moot, its a 1500 I use it for courier service, I'been doing this for 5 years, same time I have with that van. Thank God I have a 03 2500 chevy express as a back up van so I dont have to worry about replacing the transmission on my other van

Sent from my SGH-T959V using EO Forums

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Moot, its a 1500 I use it for courier service, I'been doing this for 5 years, same time I have with that van.

300,000 miles in 5 years doing courier work; I assume inter-city, multiple stops per day in stop and go traffic, yeah, that's hard on a transmission. How heavy are you usually loaded?

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My 03 3/4 ton savanna had 3 transmissons in 500,00 miles it was the 4L60E which is also in the astros which I have also and it went out at 255,000 miles

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
My 03 3/4 ton savanna had 3 transmissons in 500,00 miles it was the 4L60E which is also in the astros which I have also and it went out at 255,000 miles

it was GM's transmission of choice for rear wheel drive cars and light trucks including 4X4 trucks starting in 1994.. I think they are still using it to this day for 4 speed applications. You'll even find one at the rear of a corvette. (the drive shaft runs between the engine and transmission that is directly connected to the differential)

300,000 in city driving as a courier is pretty good if you ask me.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

I have a 2005 Chevy express 3500 and transmission lasted until 575,000. Transmission guy told me tranny was pretty much ok but torque converter basicly self destructed.