Transit van theft issue

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I keep my third spare on a hook in the kitchen at the house. I keep a key in the ignition whenever I'm in the van, and I take it with me when I leave the van to go into a store or something. I also have, always, a key in my right pocket, for no other reason than to be able to quickly unlock the door at pickup or delivery... because the automatic door locks only work on the rear doors when there are exactly nine pigeons perched on observation deck of The Rheinturm in Dusseldorf.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The remote locks won't work if there is a key in the ignition. And if the key is in the ignition and you open and door, then lock it, it'll unlock as soon as you close the door. However, on the rear door, if you open that door, lock it, and close it, you're locked out just like that.

If you do get locked out and don't have a spare key to get in, a screwdriver worked under the window seal of the triangle window on the driver or passenger side, easiest at the top, will pry the window down enough so that you can pull the entire window out, seal and all, and reach in and open the door. Then pop the window back in. Takes about 15 minutes to get it all back in a sealed up. :D

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Great tip! Beats unscrewing the radio antenna for a slim jim (guess that's wouldn't get very far with a sprinter)

Reactions: Turtle