Training a co-driver

dieselphreak2K

Expert Expediter
Can anybody out there give me some tips on training a co-driver. I tok a good friend with me last time I left, and he said he was interested in learing the buisness and becoming a co-driver i this truck. He's been just fine with being away from home, and after week 1 he still says he wants to do this, but I'm skeptical. He shows no inerest in learning how the paperwork process goes, learnign how to run a QC, or the GPS system, and for somebody that has to get their CDL yet, he asks nothing about driving. I expected him to want to go over pre-trips when we are stopped, and maybe have me explain what i'm doing and why as I drive. Is this a hopeless case, where I shouldn't waste anymore of my time, or am I doing something wrong. It seeems like he's only out here to play video games and sleep.

raceman

Veteran Expediter
I, in the past ran team and hired a couple of team drivers or in my case Co driver. Not a good thing what you describe.

I hired one from a driving school and the other was a buddy from Falcon. Neither lasted more than 3 months. They seem to like the "Camping" aspect of it but could not take the grind.

I was with Tri State at the time and we were running hard. It simply was not for them. So out of two co drivers I let them both go so I guess I would say myexperience says people have no drive. I have never had anyone solo drivers or co drivers that wanted to work like I do, so I gave up.

Good luck to you.

Raceman
OTR O/O

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
//It seeems like he's only out here to play video games and sleep.

You sound like you know how and what subjects to train, you just need to pick a good trainee.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would say to go with your gut on this. And, maybe give serious thought to staying on your own. The vast majority of people I've talked to that tried this have ended up solo. When you find a dieselfreakette give it a shot.

dieselphreak2K

Expert Expediter
The last time I tried that an engagement ended. I wanna give the guy a chance, but he needs to show more interest. I'm gonna stay out until memorial day, so I'll keep trying, but if I don't think it's gonna work by then, forget it.

Pappy

Expert Expediter
For several years,I conducted driver training classes for a carrier.
Starting from scratch--General knowledge--Pre trip basic skills, road training log books--and the whole nine yards.Surely your trainee uses TP when he goes to the bathroom. He should understand that no job is complete 'till the paper work is done! It also needs to be point blank that the vehicle he is operating now does not drive like a car.I agree with what was said in another reply---I think you got your ducks in a row with regards to WHAT and HOW to teach.
From what you've said about your trainee--My personal and professional opinion--HE'S AN ACCIDENT LOOKING FOR A PLACE TO HAPPEN!

Pappy

35 years OTR T/T :7 :7 :7

dieselphreak2K

Expert Expediter
From what I've read here, and what I can see. I'm not sure I want the headaches. I can make the $700 a month payment on my own, and have my sanity left. I still have to teach him how to drive, he has straight truck experience, but the 10 speed I have in here is a whole new world to him. I had the benefit of growing up around trucking, and it's all I knew my whole life. I went to school for a month before I got my class A, so I think I could teach him, but i doubt I will. I'd like to help the guy out, but it's not looking like it'll benefit me any. I know that sounds shallow, but It's not like I need companionship, and the payments aren't high enough to demand a team.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
I trained a driver once. He would sit in the jump seat not say a word. Then finally when he hadn't asked me any questions I started asking him questions. What do you know? If he said we'll i'm not real clear on how we do our paperwork i asked him if he wanted me to show him. Then I did. The problem with this driver was he felt like he would ask a stupid question if he started asking. Might be the same with your friend. Maybe you need to break the ice. I'm sure most of your school teachers didn't come in class and b quite until someone asked a question. They started the lesson. Maybe You need to just start the first lesson in expediting 101.

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
It's a lot harder to find a good friend than a good co-driver and that's nearly impossible. If he doesn't show much interest, gracefully back out before you loose a friend and a possible co-driver too. I've worked for friends and had them work for me. I've found you take things far more personally than you should. It's better to make friends while you work together not before.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Your not being shallow, this is after all Business. Sit down at dinner (the next meal) and just be frank with him. "Johnny its apparant you are not really intrested in going forward with this or is my gut reaction wrong?" Than DO NOT SAY ANOTHER WORD, let him talk he will either agree with you or ask what do you mean. Give only two things you have noticed not a list of 12 as this will insult him. Than again DO NOT SAY ANOTHER WORD, listen you will get your answer if you do not already have it, but it should keep the friendship from completely comming unglued.

It is critical that after you ask the question, do not say another word, but LISTEN to his response.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Interestingly, I had anticipations of growing my company, so, I started growing it in Apr 2005. One year later, after going thru twenty something owner operators and drivers I have grown two whole trucks. And, one of those is standing on a bananna peel. The big problem I see is absolutely no dedication, and a large lack of give a ##### about THEIR business. Instant gratification and a hand-out seem to be the norm.

tec1959

Expert Expediter
Well i've always found out that if people are really interested in this they would be more involved in trying to learn the business,He maybe thinking he's just on a vacation we you right now...

dieselphreak2K

Expert Expediter
Thanks broom, that sounds like a good idea. We're here at the J and about to go in and catch some pizza anyway. (had a craving, don't know why) And yes, he is paying for the meal. I've purchased everything do far, but it was expected, as he's been out of a job for a few, and selling insurance door-to-door.

G

I have to agree with Terry. This may not be his cup of tea. Over the years I have learned the hard way, this is a business 1st. Sometimes people hire there friends or family thinking it would be cool to have them in the truck. Then they find out that friends and family as driver don't always work out, and in the long run people get upset with each other and say things that can lead to you not speaking with that person ever again.

Try to have someone come work for you that understands that this is not a Buddy trip, Its a job and you both have the same goal in mind. Making money. You have to keep things on a business level because some people will take advanage of you if you don't. I hope this helps you out.

Drive safe

Dave Mayfield
FEDExCC/Roberts express O/O Since 3/1/1995
C1847,C2045,D3397,

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have to agree with the others. There doesn't seem to be motivation or drive (pun only slightly intended). At best it sounds like he'd approach a 50% level of participation and at worst you'd carry him almost all the time. If you are doing acceptably (based on your personal criteria) on your own I'd say stay solo. I don't think you'd make enough more team (unless it's in the future with a spouse) to compensate for the trials and tribulations of the second driver. Good luck.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 4958, 5447
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

phatTweaker

Expert Expediter
Speaking as a newbie and an outsider looking in, I'd say if he's playing video games, sleeping, and general chit chatting that he may be enjoying the adventure of traveling with a friend, but on the other hand, you and him being friends should make it easier for him to ask questions and try to learn as much as possible from.
I know for myself if I had a friend that took me on the road and there was possibility of a job offer I'd be drilling him with as many questions as I could trying to learn as much as possible..heck he/she would probably kick me outta the truck for all the questions I'd be asking..lol
Recently I rode in an 18 wheeler with a good friend of mine from northern IN to GA and back and I pummeled him with questions about paper work, route planning, logging, time management, truck stop etiquette, etc. and that was just a joy ride with him..I'd pity him if I were going to be teaming with him..lol

Personally I think it would be hard to have a friend as an employee. Like others have said friends have a tendency to expect special treatment.
Another thing is I've had so called friends that if they weren't on equal ground as I, would get jealous and would cause friction. I guess what I'm trying to say is that if I owned a truck and had one of these type friends team with me, if they didn't feel like they was 50% owners and got 50% of the pay they'd get mad and we'd have problems.
I'm not trying to imply your friend is that type of person, only you would know that, but I have had issues like that in the past(not in trucking though).

best of luck

kempers_gramp

Expert Expediter
I've done it twice now. The first just wanted to drive. Period. That was it. He didn't want to know about the paper work, how to secure the freight, how to run the GPS, who to approach for loading and unloading, none of that. NOTTA! Therefore I got very little sleep, beyond layovers, and the few hours I'd catch while he was driving. A very safe driver I might add.
The second is very interested in owning his own business, but was not by any means a truck driver. After 6 months or so now he is comming around. However, he owns his own business on the side and has his own idea of how HIS business should be run. I mean by this that I believe that he thinks that I should run my business his way. It is making for some pretty interesting conflict. Having been in expediting for almost 2 years now, I know what makes my business run, and I know best how to run it. I have done this against ALL odds as both a solo and obviously as a team. With the proper contractor you will do better as a team than as a solo. E-mail me if you care to know more about either in my opinion.

Now back to your situation. If you want a co-driver and you can sleep with him driving. In other words is he a safe responsible driver? Go for it! He obviously has no intentions of stepping on your feet in regards to YOUR business.

There are some other things you may need to be aware of, such as what his status would be. i.e. independant contractor, or employee. These things are usually defined by the state in which you reside, and are sometimes not all black and white. Lots of grey areas. Talk to both your accountant/book keeper and your business attorney.
While you are talking to your attorney, make sure you have him draw up a contract that states his status by law, and what both you and he are responsible for. If he has an accident while he is driving, who is responsible for the deductible, so on and soforth.

Reading all of these responses above, I can't believe that nobody has brought any of this to your attention.
You may not only be training a co-driver, you may be training an employee.

Sorry if I get a little long winded in my writings, but just some things for you to consider. It may be one of those cases where more is not better?

P.S. The only way that the J's Pizza is good is if sombody else buys it.:p

creekindian33

Expert Expediter
what i do as a owner if they dont have there cdl i tell them to take care of it dont waste ur time he can go rent a truck from penski for semi an ryder for straight as long as he gets a 24 foot box its good enough if he relliy whants to work he will do what it takes:+