towing with an expeditor ?

phatbob

Seasoned Expediter
we aren't into expediting, but we need an expeditor style truck for what we need to do

(need a sleeper, need a 20-24 ft. box, prefer single axle), however we also need to tow a car trailer (approx 24ft long, not too heavy)

although many expeditors have lift gates, we've modded a few that can take a traditional pintle or receiver hitch, and others without lift gates, this is no problem

just wondering, does anyone have any other config ideas for towing with expeditors ? the only issue we've ever seen is the rear overhand, which kind of sucks, but if you want the sleeper and the box, the wheel base can only be so long

is anyone doing anything similar ?

thx

phatbob

Seasoned Expediter
what do you mean whats the purpose ? because we need to :cool:

We've been doing what we've been doing for 10 years. The box truck needs to travel coast to coast at least 8 times per year. As fast as possible. We use a team of drivers (two, sometimes 3) to get it there as fast as possible. We usually would have three other trucks that convoy (or different type). Right now we have two semi's (columbias), two cube vans (e450s), two flat deck/gooseneck haulers (m2's) pulling trailers (5 different trailers in all that rotate depending on the trip). At any given moment three of those would be on a trip together.

For us, a 24ft box truck with a legal double sleeper that can optionally tow something up to 30' long would be ideal. because we need to sometimes use a 24ft box truck ONLY (once we are there). But on the long haul there and back, we can save a lot on diesel if we can tow a pup trailer. So we'd like to use the same box truck, and take a pup trailer (24ft long) with 2 cars in it (stacked). We sometimes need to take a smaller pup trailer (same length, half height, for just 1 car). We also sometimes need to take a longer, lighter trailer. And once there we'd ditch the trailer, and then pick it up for the road part back.

we cant use a semi trailer instead of the box truck, because a) we already do that and know why it doesn't work for us and b) we dont need half the space when we are at our destination. Besides, we already have that and have issues making it fit (thus if we took the 24ft box with trailers, once there we can dump the trailers).

we need this configuration, so I am asking technically is anyone doing this and does anyone forsee any problems, and if anyone isn't, why not (regulations or some technical reason)

does it matter why I want to do this ?

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Actually, yeah, it does matter. If you want an expediter straight truck with a sleeper and a box, just go to a dealer and buy one. If you want to spec one for a specific purpose, you need to know what that purpose is. If people know what the heck you're doing, they can give you better, more targeted ideas, rather than just something as simple as an expediter straight truck with a sleeper and a tow hitch.

phatbob

Seasoned Expediter
well, thats pretty much what we are doing

to be more specific:

need a minimum of 22' box space
weight isn't a big issue, but generally we need to take a 10-12k payload in the truck
need a minimum of two berths in a legal sleeper
need to be able to negotiate some gravel roads (needs diff lock, and some decent ground clearance, nothing out of the ordinary, but nothing ground hugging either)

need to ideally pull all of:

36' flatdeck - tag hitch 9000 lbs loaded (* might be overlength)
30' 12ft high enclosed trailer - tag hitch 14000 lbs loaded
24' 12ft high enclosed trailer - tag hitch - 12000 lbs loaded
24' 7' high enclosed trailer - tag hitch - 7000 lbs loaded

when I say tag it can also be pintle or whatever, what I mean is bumper style pull not a 5th or gneck/ we have been pulling the above trailers with cube vans but the lack of legal sleeper is a problem, as is the GAWR, as is the physical space limitation.

we are on left coast so we have to cross the rockies every time, prefer auto trannies, our m2s with 330 cummins in our gneck/flatdck haulers have been working well

so maybe putting a hitch on an expeditor is the right answer, but does anyone, has anyone ?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I'm actually not qualified to give you any ideas on specs. The only reason I piped up is because I've seen other postings like this one, and it wasn't until people knew what was trying to be accomplished did any usable information surface.

"so maybe putting a hitch on an expeditor is the right answer, but does anyone, has anyone?"

I've seen what looked like essentially an expedite straight truck towing a pup trailer. I've also seen a tractor with an extended sleeper (much like those with some of a household moving companies) with a couple of pup trailers. The first one was for a motocross thing. I don't know what the two pups were doing. Then there's the option of a long tongue dolly or something.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
36' flatdeck - tag hitch 9000 lbs loaded (* might be overlength)
30' 12ft high enclosed trailer - tag hitch 14000 lbs loaded
24' 12ft high enclosed trailer - tag hitch - 12000 lbs loaded
24' 7' high enclosed trailer - tag hitch - 7000 lbs loaded

Are these trailers equipped with air brakes?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
what do you mean whats the purpose ? because we need to :cool:

That's what I mean, what is the purpose of the vehicle, what are you hauling and what are the needs of the people who are hauling it.

we need this configuration, so I am asking technically is anyone doing this and does anyone forsee any problems, and if anyone isn't, why not (regulations or some technical reason)

Yes, I know of a few straight trucks, not expediters but straight trucks that use hitches to drag trailers behind them.

Problems?

No, none.

does it matter why I want to do this ?

Yes because ...

but generally we need to take a 10-12k payload in the truck
need a minimum of two berths in a legal sleeper
need to be able to negotiate some gravel roads (needs diff lock, and some decent ground clearance, nothing out of the ordinary, but nothing ground hugging either)

Which makes no sense.

If you want to have this configuration, I suggest forgetting the idea of a straight truck and getting a hold of Kenworth to have them spec out a T800 4X4 or 2X4 with the proper equipment for off road use. They won't have a problem building a truck for you.

phatbob

Seasoned Expediter
Are these trailers equipped with air brakes?

not those ones, no

Which makes no sense.

If you want to have this configuration, I suggest forgetting the idea of a straight truck and getting a hold of Kenworth to have them spec out a T800 4X4 or 2X4 with the proper equipment for off road use. They won't have a problem building a truck for you.

it does make sense, we do it now with regular straight trucks, regular trailers and cube vans, just wouldn't work with like those RVs you see or those toters you see with belly lockers inches off the ground. i didn't say off roading, I said gravel roads, of which there are many where we need to go. still roads, just need a bit more clearance on the hairpins.

But yeah, if someone made a logging truck in a straight truck spec with a sleeper (because most dont ahve them), yeah that would be perfect. Except for the 4000 mi of straight highway on those off road tires.

so what you guys are saying is, no one forsees any problems with welding up hitches to a D-unit ?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You may have problems incorporating the truck's air brakes with the electric brakes on the trailers. Check the weight ratings for ball hitches. Might want to go with a pintle hook on a beefed up ICC bar.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
I've got a question. Why wouldn't you find one of those cabovers that I know Swift used to run and Wagooneers still run that pull trailers instead of jimmy rigging something? You the kind where the d-unit had a curtain side body and so did the trailer? I've also seen rigs like that out west hauling everything from gravel to cattle to hay, but they where built that way from the factory.

desync0

Expert Expediter
What about something like this:
Google Maps street view

I can't remember the name of the company to find a real picture.

They're a car hauler, 2 cars on the truck, 2 on the trailer, most of them have sleepers, not much of one, but they're there.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
when you spec the truck,do a class 8 with a dbl bunk sleeper,the tandem axle will come with an axle lock
you can put a hitch on the back of the truck to tow the trailer,just tell the dealer what yuou plan,they will fix you right up