Tonight might be the last night on the road for my van...

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
Goes to figure. Fix everything, than something expensive breaks.

Today while doing a run to the lumber yard all was well. Drove there, loaded up and on the way out the guard said "whats that loud ticking??" I get out and I can hear lifter clatter. Shes always been a little loud but not this bad.

I look at the pressure gauge. 0 PSI with the check gauges light now flickering. Raise the idle up and shes quiet as she normally is.

Pull away from the guard shack, open the hood. Thoughts running through my head.. Oil was changed yesterday. First thought. Free engine! No oil in it right?

Wrong. it's full.

Bring it home. Thinking they put some cheap oil (they claim it was Valvoline...) in it I drain out the clean oil and refill with oil I know is the right weight.

Start it up. Same problem. Replaced the filter. Same problem.

I'd like to blame it on Sears, who did the oil change. But I know, its time has just came. Would have happened if I changed it or not. It is a bit odd that it went from 20 PSI warm idle to zero. I suspect it chipped a bearing or some passage is now leaking. Or perhaps the pump is shot. either way, no easy fix. And it's a 4.3V6 with 265 or so on it.

with 10/40 and lucus (1 quart) I get about 10 PSI at idle and it's quiet. but I don't expect that to last long.

I bought the van right. It owes me nothing. I could put an engine in it but this van works nightly and I don't have a shop. It's gonna snow.

So far the cards are stacked against her, I scouted a 05 that is up for bids tomorrow. It's wrecked but drive-able. Radiator has coolant, fluids are full and with a grille it'd be presentable until I have time to finish the rest of the repairs. It's almost what I want, 3/4 ton, small (4.8) V8, tilt, cruise, power locks, keyless. It lacks 2 things I really wanted to hold out for. Power windows (fixable) and extended body (not exactly fixable)

Wish me luck! I hope she sells cheap.

Last edited:

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
It made it through the night.. Not sure what is going on with it because about 2 hours in to it the noises where gone and it was holding 25 PSI at warm idle.

I wonder if there is a bypass or something that was sticking open.

I should also mention I *never* pay retail for my vans.

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
There's a bypass valve in the pump or along the oil gallery and may be one in the filter - i would think pump right now.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not sure about the low oil pressure (although it might not be showing true as they tend to get gummed up), but it might just have been a sticking lifter? I've had that twice and changed the oil out, run brand name (not bulk), and use an oil conditioner. Worth a shot.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You're considering replacing the entire van because an oil pump or sensor might be going bad? Am I reading this right?

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
You're considering replacing the entire van because an oil pump or sensor might be going bad? Am I reading this right?

yes. also because it's a a old body style 02, it's a half ton, and I don't have a shop to pull the engine to get to said oil pump. Given the miles on the engine I would not think it wise to put the old repaired engine back in.

it was more than a bled down lifter. everything was rattling. my oil pressure gauge is mechanical. the electronic one in the cluster is extremely wrong.

could I fix it? yes. no doubt. But keep in mind, I have been looking for a newer van, i have my eye on one that is being auctioned off today. Friday there is one that will be auctioned that is what i want, 3/4 extended with the power and appearance package.

Last edited:

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Goes to figure. Fix everything, than something expensive breaks.

Today while doing a run to the lumber yard all was well. Drove there, loaded up and on the way out the guard said "whats that loud ticking??" I get out and I can hear lifter clatter. Shes always been a little loud but not this bad.

I look at the pressure gauge. 0 PSI with the check gauges light now flickering. Raise the idle up and shes quiet as she normally is.

Pull away from the guard shack, open the hood. Thoughts running through my head.. Oil was changed yesterday. First thought. Free engine! No oil in it right?

Wrong. it's full.

Bring it home. Thinking they put some cheap oil (they claim it was Valvoline...) in it I drain out the clean oil and refill with oil I know is the right weight.

Start it up. Same problem. Replaced the filter. Same problem.

I'd like to blame it on Sears, who did the oil change. But I know, its time has just came. Would have happened if I changed it or not. It is a bit odd that it went from 20 PSI warm idle to zero. I suspect it chipped a bearing or some passage is now leaking. Or perhaps the pump is shot. either way, no easy fix. And it's a 4.3V6 with 265 or so on it.

with 10/40 and lucus (1 quart) I get about 10 PSI at idle and it's quiet. but I don't expect that to last long.

I bought the van right. It owes me nothing. I could put an engine in it but this van works nightly and I don't have a shop. It's gonna snow.

So far the cards are stacked against her, I scouted a 05 that is up for bids tomorrow. It's wrecked but drive-able. Radiator has coolant, fluids are full and with a grille it'd be presentable until I have time to finish the rest of the repairs. It's almost what I want, 3/4 ton, small (4.8) V8, tilt, cruise, power locks, keyless. It lacks 2 things I really wanted to hold out for. Power windows (fixable) and extended body (not exactly fixable)

Wish me luck! I hope she sells cheap.

My 6 cylinder 4.3 liter engine died at right around 400k mile man. I had the check engine light go on and about 500 miles into a 1300 mile trip the oil pressure started to drop "then the check guasge light came on" and then the oil pressure went to zero and the engine seized up. I don't think the 4.3 liter engines last as long as the 6.0 liters, especially for commercial applications.

You might want to look into replacing the engine - or better yet it might just be an oil pupm in which case you can get that done. It's highly unkilely that the whole thing is shot with such low mileage on it. Oh, and like you, I had just dumped 2500 dollars in repairs on the van - to include four new tires, breaks, all fluid flushes, rotors, tune up, and some other miscellaneous work about 4 weeks before the engine blew.

I had the thing towed home along with me for 500 bucks by one of the shipping wars guys on U-Ship. But in my case I had enough money to buy another van. I had worked and saved 10k and took me a while but I found the van that I have now. I hope you get this all sorted out. Worse case scenario is you might have to suck it up and go to work for a Load 1 sprinter owner and save your way back into your own vehicle! Good luck man.

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
My 6 cylinder 4.3 liter engine died at right around 400k mile man. I had the check engine light go on and about 500 miles into a 1300 mile trip the oil pressure started to drop "then the check guasge light came on" and then the oil pressure went to zero and the engine seized up. I don't think the 4.3 liter engines last as long as the 6.0 liters, especially for commercial applications.

You might want to look into replacing the engine - or better yet it might just be an oil pupm in which case you can get that done. It's highly unkilely that the whole thing is shot with such low mileage on it. Oh, and like you, I had just dumped 2500 dollars in repairs on the van - to include four new tires, breaks, all fluid flushes, rotors, tune up, and some other miscellaneous work about 4 weeks before the engine blew.

I had the thing towed home along with me for 500 bucks by one of the shipping wars guys on U-Ship. But in my case I had enough money to buy another van. I had worked and saved 10k and took me a while but I found the van that I have now. I hope you get this all sorted out. Worse case scenario is you might have to suck it up and go to work for a Load 1 sprinter owner and save your way back into your own vehicle! Good luck man.

Oddly. It's been fine for the past 500 miles. I am going to keep an eye on it and used vans. Right now everyone is blowing tax refunds and cargo vans are bringing a premium (shipping wars?) My back up 78 is ready willing and able to fill in if it comes down to it.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Oddly. It's been fine for the past 500 miles. I am going to keep an eye on it and used vans. Right now everyone is blowing tax refunds and cargo vans are bringing a premium (shipping wars?) My back up 78 is ready willing and able to fill in if it comes down to it.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

We have a shop in Medina Ohio if you need a place to change out a oil pump. That's if you come this way.