Toledo

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Here is one for you Wingnut!! You won't find this where you came from!!

On Jan 16th the Monroe Rod and Gun Club, of which I am a member, is having it's annual "muskrat and beaver" dinner!! They are looking for people to help clean the "rats" on the 15th, prior experience not needed!! they are willing to teach!!!

By the way, do you know what "speedies" are? That is a really good Northern PA, Southern, NY food delight!!

Last edited:

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager

On Jan 16th the Monroe Rod and Gun Club, of which I am a member, is having it's annual "muskrat and beaver" dinner!! They are looking for people to help clean the "rats" on the 15th, prior experience not needed!! they are willing to teach!!!

By the way, do you know what "speedies" are? That is a really good Northern PA, Southern, NY food delight!!

So what are speedies? I might just tell you what rocky mountain oysters are....

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I know what Rocky Mountain Oysters are. I am not a city kid!! "Speedies" are a way of fixing venison. Small stew size chunks, different marinades then done over a charcoal grill, on a skewer. Many different flavors. Very good with beer etc. They have a big "Speedie Festival" around Binghampton, NY every year.

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
I've lived in Toledo & I loved it there. I truly enjoyed it more than I did Las Vegas, & that's not a knock on Vegas. I'd move back in a heartbeat. Good luck to ya if ya end up there. I think you'll be happy.

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
Yea there are warmer climates. What I liked about Toledo was the people were really nice. I made a fair amount of friends in just a short time there. I liked how it's the most southern place to get CBC out of Canada (hockey fan here). I liked how it had some big city things w/out having the traffic of a big city. I liked how there was a mix of Michigan & Ohio State fans. Back then we were beating the snot out of em so I might think differently about that now though.

For someone from Michigan it's actually a bit warmer. Not like I'd wear shorts in the winter or anything, but a bit better climate than where I'm at now.

Sitting here in Indiana in 15 degree weather I have to ask. Why would anyone move to Toledo? I can think of plenty of places south of there or here for that matter that would work well.

Now if your crazy enough to live your winters where OVM does I guess I could understand moving to Toledo. :D

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
Oh, meant to add one other thing. WIOT (104.7) is in Toledo. IMO one of the great stations in the country. When I had to leave Toledo & get in the Detroit area I actually drove around to make sure I wasn't living out of the reception area of that station.

With the internet I imagine ya can get it from anywhere now. Back then though the internet was just starting up. So it wasn't possible at that time.

Wingnut

Seasoned Expediter

OMG.......I doubt that I'll ever be able to eat again! Blows my mind that people really eat that stuff. Ok....granted I was born & raised in the city then moved to the country in my later years but still.........
As for speidies......my area is home of the speidies. Any of you ever hear of the SPEIDIE FESTIVAL? People from all over the US come to itthe first weekend in August and vie for the best speidie recipe cook off. Chicken speidies are my absolute fav! :)

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
a lot of neat old towns within driving distance of toledo with interesting homes, wraparound porches, bungalows queen annes and more. that is IF interesting homes are your thing. on 420 south of 280 there is a modular home park with room for new singles or doubles. homesites from the 50's says the sign.

ya know danthewolf00's home might be for sale. seriously. his mom wants to move to vegas with her daughter. pm him..

Wingnut

Seasoned Expediter
THANKS...I'll do that jack! I only have till the end of the month to find something to rent. I plan on buying a plce in the spring/summer but for now, I only want a place to rent. Being on a time schedule makes me nuts with things like this. :(