To Expedite Or Not To Expedite?

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
The thoughts of giving up our straight truck and going with a van would be like a nightmare. We have most of the comforts of home with us, recliners, sink, large refrigerator, microwave, TV and enough room for us to move around in easily and have our dog. I know some vans have a lot of these things but for us the comfort of the truck out weighs the idea of always having to be in the front seat of a van while waiting. Also the possibility of more load offers is a great incentive. Now having to fight a semi and a trailer is more stress then I want to deal with. I look at some of the places we pick up at, and once again thank god I am not having to fight with a tractor trailer.

miketango

Seasoned Expediter
terryand rene:
"A specialized truck hauling reefer or A&E would do much better"

What is A&E?

british380:
"maybe even a CR white glove o/o"

What is CR?

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
A & E is Ammunition & Explosives. Generally government shipments that some orientation training and a government clearance.

A, B, C, D, E are, in order, pickups and mini vans, cargo vans, small straight trucks, large straight trucks, and tractor/trailer.

The R suffix is for reefer so a CR is a small straight truck with a reefer box.

The C suffix denotes a Canadian truck. A BC would be a Canadian cargo van leased to FedEx Custom Critical.

Other carriers often use the same vehicle designations which were introduced to the expedite community by the former Roberts Express.

british380

Seasoned Expediter
TerryandRene....What kind of truck do you own? What unit C or D? What are your likes and dislikes about the truck your driving? anything you would do different? Thanks again for all your input:)

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
british380

Rene' and I started our journey in expediting in 1989 in a Chevrolet cargo van (B1230) with Roberts Express. Since that time we have gone thru two Ford diesel vans and are now on our third Chevrolet. We've never owned a C or D.

We started expediting as a means to travel around the country for the primary purpose of selecting a location in which to retire. I was eligible for a no cost move to anywhere in the US of A for one year following my retirement from the US Coast Guard, so this seemed the ideal way to find that dream spot. We decided on either the south side of Lexington, KY or the Ashville, NC area, in the smokies. Having made our decision, we were faced with the dilemma of why. We couldn't come up with a good answer to the why, so we stayed in the St Louis area that was the location of my last duty station. This leads me to the answer to your question "What would you do different?"

We often looked back on our first five or so years driving for Roberts Express and reflected on the huge sum of money we could have saved by avoiding the cost of a $1400 mortgage on a house we only visited, from time to time. Additionally, we were paying all the utilities needed to maintain a household. We had an irrigation system installed to keep the lawns watered; we paid for the fertilizer guys, the lawn mower/snow removal guys and the trash collection guys. The bottom line is we spent a lot of money that we could have saved by devoting just five years to the business, easily in excess of $150,000 plus compounded interest.

What do we like about the truck? you ask. I think you're leaning toward a straigh truck so my answer would not apply to you, but for those that are eavesdropping on our conversation, I like the Chevy because of the automobile-like handling and the lesser operating expense over the Ford diesels that we owned. Not much I don't like because I'm so used to expediting in the cargo van; it works well for one or two skids and the 2500 pounds we occassionaly haul.

Keep asking the questions and someone here on EO will have an answer or an opinion that you might be able to use later.

wallytrucker1

Expert Expediter
I think I would talk to some landstar teams and see how they are doing. Just the regular freight haulers, not the super secert stuff guys, just regular expediters. Do ppl really haul for a $1.20? With fuel over $3.00, WOW.