To CV, Sprinter, Cubes...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
So as I look around available truck sites I see 3500-4000 lbs sprinters listed...on the Alliance boards....

there is no way in the world a sprinter can haul these loads....I am wondering does the risk of getting in an accident and being sued to death in a civil court proceeding out weigh the monetary gain?...

I mean even the carrier listing these van could be sued to the hilt....in a civil court....

Every time we decide to a "little" over, we are playing Russian roulette, with our business, our family, our future.

WHY do we do it? Egos maybe? Because it sure is NOT a good business decision...

When a carrier offers a load like this, they to can be wiped out....

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's not good business sense. We're paid by the mile-- at least most of us are. I might be able to haul a three-thousand pound load, but it will push my van to the limit and it won't pay a penny more than a three-hundred pound load would pay. The wear and tear, the increased braking distance--- it takes longer to stop when you're running heavy-- and all the rest of it say that I'm better off not running that heavy.

invasionuk

Active Expediter
Run legal, run safe, lawyers make a lot of money and will be all too happy to destroy you (smart words from a friend of mine who is an accident investigator)

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Oh I'm sure those are all dual wheel sprinters and 15 ft. yellow cube vans right ,,,,, Lol ..... I just grin to myself when people on here or at the TS tell me they can haul 3500 to 4000 legally ... I know sooner than later if they don t get caught by Dot ,,that the maintenace man will and the repair bills will empty their pockets ...

Sent from my SGH-T959 using EO Forums

MCGohio1985

Active Expediter
I have a 2009 Ford E250 I can haul 3600 and still be under the GVW but jest because I can didn't mean I will that is to get me out of a spot to a better place and under 500 miles i think in 3 yr i have done 3 loads over 2500 lb

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Oh I'm sure those are all dual wheel sprinters and 15 ft. yellow cube vans right ,,,,, Lol ..... I just grin to myself when people on here or at the TS tell me they can haul 3500 to 4000 legally ... I know sooner than later if they don t get caught by Dot ,,that the maintenace man will and the repair bills will empty their pockets ...

DOT has very little to do with us vans as we are not regulated....BUT the civil courts if sued for exceeding manufacturers sticker.....will just tear us up and spit us out....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a 2009 Ford E250 I can haul 3600 and still be under the GVW but jest because I can didn't mean I will that is to get me out of a spot to a better place and under 500 miles i think in 3 yr i have done 3 loads over 2500 lb

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums

Yes some gasser vans can do up to almost 4,000 Lbs...

cannedmeat27

Expert Expediter
I had a 2001 chevy 1 ton. It was a short wheelbase and weighed a little over 5600 empty. That was myself and my things. The gvw I believe was 9400. Looking at those numbers it gave me 3800lbs capacity.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don t know , but those South Dakota scale houses scare me . :p:p

cannedmeat27

Expert Expediter
No reason to be scared. I'll bring them some brownies next time I drive by. They will leave you alone then. Lol

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You can't sit there and say those weights are crazy and then decide, oh ill take a few hundred lbs extra it isn't going that far.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums

guido4475

Not a Member
I've been preaching about this for how long now? Way too many times do people try to turn a van into a straight truck.Let the straights haul the load we can't.Too many times a customer will ***** and complain when we have to struggle with a load because it was shoe horned in the van to begin with.Or the pallet comes apart as we are having it pulled out because it may be heavy, and not made to be pulled, but lifted.

Ken, Remember what happened when someone in a ford van took 5,000# from ky to wa?

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
But yours is empty!!....DOH.....LOL....and yours has the same sticker weight as me....and your unit is smaller and lighter in weight....so naturally your payload would be higher...

I have a cot and other items. You're assuming they're all running heavy. Are some of then? Probably. Am I losing sleep over it? Nope.

guido4475

Not a Member
While on the phone with my friend, who we will call the Magic Man,I was reading these posts to him, and he said a very good point, which is this:" How often are they going to beat a dead horse? It's cut and dry, that simple."