To be or go TT

louixo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I`m at the crossroads. I`ve been trucking for a long time. I`ve taken some extensive time off lately, and am deciding whether I`ll go back to expediting, go back to TT, either as an O&O, or just hang up my tire billy and my ray ban shades, and do nothing, meaning of course retire.
First I have to say that I like trucking, and living that lifestyle. Expediting for a single is now alot of sitting and hunting for loads. More than when I got into it for a number of reasons, too lengthy to go into. TT keeps you moving, but your side trips are limited when pulling the big wagon behind you. I heard that there were a couple of companies that had part time fleets, and I`m going to check into that. Does anybody know about part time expediting, or short contract jobs? Maybe I should do a radio show and entertain all you road warriors.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Wow louixo you have hit on something we have been spending a lot of time discussing in our truck also do we stay straight truck with our next purchase or do we move back into a semi?

One thing we know for sure is we like expediting, we like who we are leased to, and we like the trucking lifestyle so that part will not change.

There are so many pro's and con's to this issue and so many things to consider. We have been in a straight long there are even more hurdles to jump before this decision can be reached.

I wish you a lot of luck on your search for what your future will look like! Glad it will still be looking out a windshield just wonder what it will look like when you look in the mirrors.

mhoy40

Expert Expediter
i guess it comes down to what you need out of retirement,my father in law is retired and was looking for something to do so he got a sprinter,he runs when he wants and sits at home when he wants if a load comes up to somewhere hes never been and it pays ok he goes and if it dont well he sits at home by the pool and enjoys retirement,he dosent have as many headaches as we do with the straights and tt either no logs no inspections you know all the fun stuff,i mean yea hes still subject to randoms and that but for most part his day 2 day is pretty easy goin.just an idea for ya.

moose

Veteran Expediter
If you are looking for a great income , go do the TT thing.
if you can afford Expedite , then there you go.
keep in mind that getting back into TT can be tricky at times , with no recant TT experience, carriers and owners can afford to be picky .
if you are not looking for a LTR , don't buy a truck.
I wonder how many solo Vanners are exceeding solo st. truckers income those days ... ?
wish you the best.

Moose.

EagleRiverWI

Seasoned Expediter
I switched back to TT 2 months ago and wish I would have done it 2 years ago. My next load arrives 1 minute after I send my load empty message. I have health insurance and a retirement account now. Very few good TT companies are hiring now and some will not consider you if you have not driven TT in the last 3 years.(dont ask dont tell) Some here in Wisconsin have 1 week on and 1 week off, sharing a truck with another driver.
Then there is 2 weeks on and 1 week off, sharing 2 trucks with 3 drivers. I am on a 2 week out , 4 days home schedule but I have been getting home every 5 or 6 days (and taking 2 off). If you leave expediting, you will have more work and our friend here will have a little more.

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
Moving back into a T/T from a DR-Unit just over two years ago for us was the right move. We have never looked back! With the exception of the hickup we had the first year trying to run an ER-Unit leased to FECC we have been much happier running specialized T/T freight than when we ran White Glove freight. We've also learn that we can make as much or more revenue with less overhead cost like purchasing and maintaining a reefer trailer. Our stepdeck has proven to be a much less expensive money maker. Try it , you'll probably like it!

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Maybe I should do a radio show and entertain all you road warriors.

If you are serious about doing a radio show, know there are a number of truckers trying to break into that right now. There are the obvious shows on the satellite trucking channels. If you go to Twitter Search and search for truckers, you will find some setting themselves up as broadcasters, podcasters and publishers in one form or another. Some of the info some of them put out is pretty good. Some of it is not. Some seem to be trying to make a buck or two by doing it. How well they are doing and how large their audiences are I do not know.

louixo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Phil, I'm not serious about doing a radio show. What I will be looking for in anything I do, is doing it part time. The retirement life can be fun,and I may opt for that. Hawk, I can base out of anywhere. I don,t have to go home,and all the years I was trucking, home was where I was and I never looked to get home much, because I took winters off every year, and went someplace warm. During the other 9 months or so when I was out on the road each year, as long as I could swing by the house once every three months or so to put out the fires, I was fine. My wife and I teamed most of the time during those years,but she doesn,t want to go back out all the time. She'll go with me often enough or fly and meet me here and there. Maybe I'm dreaming in what I want to do, but you have to dream. I always took the time off I wanted because I owned my own equipment. Within reason of course. I don,t think it's changed that much over time. You just have to find your niche Long hauling never seemed like work to me. Still doesn't. We'll see how it plays out.