Tires

teamjdw

Expert Expediter
What tires do you use. Front axle is 13000. G series are rated at 12350. With two drivers all our stuff and full tanks scale ticket has me at 12120. Leaving me with 200 before being overweight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using EO Forums mobile app

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
Get H-rated then. I have H-rated Goodyears on my truck. I don't care for them. I liked my Continentals better. I also hear great things from Michelin.

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
Or just load your freight carefully. My d-unit has less than 200lb on it's front axle to work with. I just became an expert on balancing the freight on my drives.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
I run Michelin's on mine and love them. I did just put a pair of H rated Dunlop fuel max steers on one of my Sterlings for a test. Pretty nice tire and I always liked Dunlop's on my cars. We will see how they do. Driver says they are doing ok.

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm with Daffy, I have had better luck with Continental's they seem to wear better and it's a non directional tire.

teamjdw

Expert Expediter
Yes I load my freight over or behind the rear axle. But have had too friends popped at weigh stations. Illinois and Indiana. So my next set of steers will be H's. Thanks for your input. Hope others see this. The Illinois weight station told my buddy he was #6 for the day .quota met.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
You do understand that H's on a 12,000 lb axle still only allow you 12,000 lbs.
Sista got popped in Ill for that.
I've told at least 50 drivers that and I think only 2 actually believed me. ( one being my Sista with ticket in hand.)

Edit: I understand that teamjdw has a 13,000 lb axle. I just thought this was a good place to share this little tidbit of info again.

Last edited:

teamjdw

Expert Expediter
Our axle is 13000. Gross vehicle weight is 33000

teamjdw

Expert Expediter
Yes rear axle is 20000. This a class 8 one axle was removed. We are a C unit.

WRAII

Active Expediter
Isn't there a couple of states that only allow 12000 lbs on steer axle. Seems like i remember volvo having to move fuel tanks back some to lighten steer axle weight

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I don't believe any state could have a 12,000 lb limit IF you have an axle and tires rated at a heavier rating.
My steer is rated at 20,000, tires at over 18,000, and I've been over scales possibly in every state except Maine.
No problems.
I probably never get over 14,500 on the steers.
A 14,600 axle is what I'd spec if I were to build a new DR.
The factory will put the properly rated tires on the axle.

guido4475

Not a Member
I don't believe any state could have a 12,000 lb limit IF you have an axle and tires rated at a heavier rating.
My steer is rated at 20,000, tires at over 18,000, and I've been over scales possibly in every state except Maine.
No problems.
I probably never get over 14,500 on the steers.
A 14,600 axle is what I'd spec if I were to build a new DR.
The factory will put the properly rated tires on the axle.

Michelin also makes a steer tire that says "Nominal width" on the side, and for some strange reason, this tire has a heavier than normal rating. Another option, is to run 12 inch wide rims and tires, often used or found on Prevost coaches, otherwise known as "Bus wheels". A lot heavier rated as well. The next heavier option would be to run what dump truck drivers refer to them as 315's....although not floaters, they aren't too far away from that, either. A lot of heavy haulers run them on the steers.Regardless of what the front axle rating was on my straight's, I have always ran 14 ply tires on the front. Stronger, more stable than 12 ply's.