Tipping

Tobster317

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Question! Does anyone leave a tip for the porters that clean the showers at the TA/Petro? Thanks

hazmat

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Good Question... Follow up question would be why do you tip the shower porters (at all the truck stops, not just ta/petro) or why don't you???

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Some people do. I don't, because tips are not how they're paid. Nothing wrong with giving someone some money if you want to, though.

As for the follow up question, my guess is that it's because he only showers at Petros and TAs. For myself, personally, I only shower at Flying Js and Pilots, so even if I did tip, I seriously doubt that I'd walk into a Loves or some other trucks stop and just tip the shower cleaner person just for the heck of it.

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I will IF they do their job and clean well.
Some don't clean as well as others, and won't get one from me. But I appreciate the ones that do a good job of cleaning.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I shower at pilot/j but yea if the showers are clean I'll leave 1 dollar. I don't make sure I have a dollar before I shower or anything but if I have a one I'll leave it.

Reactions: hazmat

chetjester

Veteran Expediter
Driver
When I stay at a motel/hotel, I leave a tip. If I go to a restaurant, I tip based on service. When I shower at a truckstop, to me, it's the same as if I were tipping my housekeeper or the person who served me graciously at the restaurant. Is a $2.00 tip too much for the drivers who want others to treat us as regular people? Maybe a few more tips would be a good incentive for the shower cleaners to put in a little more effort despite the slobs who trash their showers.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I always ask for a second towel to dry my hair [Pilot/J], so whether I tip or not depends upon their response to my request.

Reactions: hazmat

rollincoal

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I thought tipping was more for people who do not get paid minimum wage like servers in a restaurant. Actually those are the only people I know of who don't get paid minimum wage. They get paid about $2 an hour and so depend on the tips to actually earn a living. If they excell at service they thrive if not they go hungry. I will tip good service in a restaurant and tip it very well. I never tip cleaning people at hotels, carry my own luggage, never tip shower cleaners at truck stops or anyone else making minimum wage.

neilblack

Rookie Expediter
I thought tipping was more for people who do not get paid minimum wage like servers in a restaurant. Actually those are the only people I know of who don't get paid minimum wage. They get paid about $2 an hour and so depend on the tips to actually earn a living. If they excell at service they thrive if not they go hungry. I will tip good service in a restaurant and tip it very well. I never tip cleaning people at hotels, carry my own luggage, never tip shower cleaners at truck stops or anyone else making minimum wage.
I was never tipped for doing the job I chose to do. How about you.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I was never tipped for doing the job I chose to do. How about you.
I delivered newspapers. Got plenty of tips. Used it as my horse race track monies.

horse-racing-clip-art1-285x300.jpg

Reactions: artie and RoadTime

Hamman77

Active Expediter
Driver
What kind of tipping are we talking about? Money
tipping for good service or outhouse tipping? I'm confused!

Reactions: Turtle