Time to sell the truck and move along

ATeam

Retired Expediter
After lots of thought and prayers, we have decided that we need to spend more time at home. We do this with mixed emotions, since we've greatly enjoyed our travels and working with the best carrier in the business. I'm sure at some point we will have to get an RV and become one of those moving hazards that you pros deal with everyday!

Diane and I wish you both the best.

It is an interesting experience moving from expediting into a field in which most of the people you interact with have no idea what it is like to travel, live free and work on the road like expediters do. I hope you share your observations and experiences about that in the weeks and months ahead.

fr8hlr521

Active Expediter
Diane and I wish you both the best.

It is an interesting experience moving from expediting into a field in which most of the people you interact with have no idea what it is like to travel, live free and work on the road like expediters do. I hope you share your observations and experiences about that in the weeks and months ahead.

It's interesting, sometimes, hearing the misconceptions many have about this business.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
We are also sorry to see you go. But excited for you to have this next phase of life. It's been great having you guys as part of our team and as a friend.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Good luck on the new gig. Stop in from time to time and let us know how real estate is in MN. ;)

ATeam

Retired Expediter
It's interesting, sometimes, hearing the misconceptions many have about this business.

True enough.

One adjustment we had to make when moving out of expediting into a non-trucking field was in the loss of interest people showed in expediting. When you are in a truck and in the presence of people who are prompted by the sight of the truck to ask about your life and work, many opportunities rise to tell the story. When you are out of the business, people prefer to talk about other things.

When people ask what we did before we got into the gym business, we don't try to explain expediting or trucking to them. We simply say we had a job where we traveled most of the time. That satisfies most inquiries and frees us to move quickly back to the topic at hand.

Expediters have great stories to tell and, as storytellers, can often have great fun entertaining people who are interested in hearing them. Salespeople (realtors, gym owners, etc.) do better not as storytellers but as listeners; telling their own stories less and listening to customer stories more.

In our new field, no one has purchased anything from us because we were once expediters. People buy because we listen to their stories and fulfill their needs.

Last edited:

fr8hlr521

Active Expediter
Thank you, John. We have truly enjoyed being on the team and you are a class act all the way, which is reflected in the enterprise you have built. Second to none, in our book. Please be sure to look us up whenever you are in the Twin Cities!

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
As many will attest to - it's not always easy to get back to the civilian lifestyle, but we wish you the best in your next endeavor.

Lawrence I will agree with you 100%. After three years of being off the road full time, I still have a hard time going to sleep at night.