Those darn complain and blame drivers

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
agreed...they are cutting off an income stream...cutting down the size of the country..and it has to be made up elsewhere...so they can't complain....

Take LDB for example... how many pages has he ripped out of his atlas now? But the thing with him is that we never hear him complaining about a lack of loads. ;)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Take LDB for example... how many pages has he ripped out of his atlas now? But the thing with him is that we never hear him complaining about a lack of loads. ;)

Exactly...but he makes them business decisions and lives with it....he knows it might cut into his earnings...he finds other means and does not complain when he has a bad week....decisions you live with...

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
I hope people keep their attitudes about certain parts of the country because we'll keep doing loads in and out of those areas and getting good rates in the process. Maybe I should encourage those attitudes.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I hope people keep their attitudes about certain parts of the country because we'll keep doing loads in and out of those areas and getting good rates in the process. Maybe I should encourage those attitudes.
absolutely Charles...if it helps keep them rates up...

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Maybe I should encourage those attitudes.

I try to.

No canada, great more for me.

No NYC, great more for me.

No shorties, great making more money for me.

This is a business where it has evolved into two types, the ones who want to see the country as they want to, and those who actually work.

I heard a great one this morning, a trip to LA and back after three days of waiting for the load. It was reefer run and offered to a solo driver. It paid $1.75 a mile plus .20 for reefer and fsc. It was turned down because the driver was already out to LA and didn't want to go there again. The guy who took it was more than happy to get it.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

:D Good, it's working. Everyone thinks I have a skinny only half full atlas and here I am going wherever the pay exceeds the no factor.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
now you know what happened to me and my cat when we saw him in those shorts. 6 months of therapy for the cat and she still isn't the same - poor thing.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
thoughs driver wonder why they are not making any more
money

PlusServices

Seasoned Expediter
The first rule of Expediting is keep the wheels turning. Sitting or camping out does no one any good. Take the loads as they come and you may take a short load that gets you to a better area. You also should never get confrontational with the dispatchers. You might be one of those trucks who has your truck number on a postit on the dispatchers computer that say they turn down everything. Your best bet is not to say a bunch of stuff to the dispatcher about all the bad load offers and don't call me with any offers under 300 miles. Be friendly with the dispatchers, call them by name and give them yours. Take one for the team once in a while. Most dispatchers don't have much discretion and just offer loads out to the trucks in order of dwell time and distance to pick-up. Its not their fault so give them a break. Sometimes you might ask for a good load to back up a bad load. Stop looking at the individual day or load and get the big picture and look at the month or week. Have a game plan and learn to be flexible. This always worked for me and I started as a driver with no money in my pocket and now 5 years later I have 11 trucks on the road.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
One week with Panther I was running 47 mile mini's and 150 milers back to back. I had been running day and night making multiple pick-ups and drops each day, only sleeping here and there in between the loads. I started on a monday and it was already Thursday morning and I had only done 600 miles. Next load offer was a 50 mile mini with a stop off; they couldn't tell me if it was two pick-ups or two stop offs.

So I said very forcefully "no" and explained to them that I had been working like crazy and not making jack. They were quite upset with me because I had never turned down a load before. They gave the load to some other driver who ended up spending all day on it and I got me a nice 500 mile run down south.

Dispatchers keep a sticky note on their computer with all of the truck numbers of the guys who will take any short load offered to them. That is how it works. Sometimes you got to man up and tell your company to shove those short loads. I know drivers with some companies who never take short loads and make a load of money. So, if not all the drivers will be a team player and do short runs; why should I do them all of the time?

johnpetrus

Seasoned Expediter
Tonight at the Marion truck stop, Marion Illinois:

Driver One: I am frustrated that my dispatchers are only calling me on these little 150-250 mile runs, then when I turn them down I sit and sit sometimes for days. I don't understand that and I barely have money to eat on.

Driver Two: Yea, my dispatch does the same thing and when I turn them down I tell them don't call me with anything less than 300 miles. A couple of days pass and they call me offering me another one of those short runs. Now I have to ask for an advance just where I can eat.

Me: Yea, I must be getting the loads both of you guys turn down, cause I have had five days of those little short 250-300 mile runs and now my dispatch gives me a long 1,000 mile weekend run - shoot for like the 3rd weekend in a row.

POINT: Simple, take the bad with the good. Take one load and make it PART of your day. Take each day and build it as PART of your week. The week as PART of your month. The month as PART of your quarter. The quarter as PART of your year.

AND ABOVE ALL STOP BLAMING OTHERS FOR YOUR FAILURES, OR YOUR IGNORANCE - WORK TO BE A SUCCESS - only complain and blame if you desire to remain in your rut!

It seems to me, Any money is better than no money ? Maybe 'i'm wrong here but all loads need covered and when you are to good for a load ( not a load you have to dead head for ) You never know what you might get at the other end of the load at the very least you just made a couple hundred bucks than you had when you woke up ! You can sit and wait for days for that load paying $800.00 bucks or you can make it in the days your sitting ! When i have short loads like that i try to bid high on it to make the driver a little something extra ,this way i treat him good and hopefully he will remember and take the short load when i call him with it !