This was a kicker very unusual stop

csands007

Seasoned Expediter
Was going thru Kansas on I 70 had cruise set at 68/69 range on my van but since I went to 265-16 tires from 235-16 it threw my speed off on my speedometer by a few miles, well the Kansas finest came up behind me then lights started flashing, he said I was doing 72 in a 70mph zone, after checking my bill of lading he wanted to look at the load, let him, then he seen the insulation on my inside from carrying live rats in it, the Temp had to be a certain degree, and had to have it maintaain, but after lost of contract tore floor out but left sides, In rear to left of back door is a panel where the electral was, it been taken out. Guess he thought I had drugs in there he told me he was calling for the dogs to check it out, Told him if he really wanted to see what is in there had a hammer I could tear it out, he said no, went back to his car then in about 40 min came gave my lic back and a warning ticket for 2 miles over and told me to go.
Chuck

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
2-3% error rate on his radar gun. That's all you had to say if he gave you a ticket. Also... calibrated instruments, like his radar or laser gun, have to be checked every year or twice a year or so. Good guess is they weren't. Always something to keep in mind if you go to court.

-Vampire Super Slooth Trucker!!!

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Maybe I'm missing something. Did you say "live rats?" I read your post a couple times but don't get the live rat part. Can you help me understand?

csands007

Seasoned Expediter
My van used to be completely insulated with temp control in rear, transported live rats to pharmaceuticals test labs. Had to maintain 56 degrees all time, plus no smoking allowed. My van still is equipped with a smoke alarm and fire Extinguisher plus two 24" dc fans which I just this weekend took out to sell. So where in back there was an insulated box built in extended from wall to rear door opening all way to roof and about 18" long, this was still intact and was the electical to roof air for back. He must thought I was running drug I guess.
Chuck

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Phil,
Some companies who do bio-research use certain breeds of rats that can't take heat (the heat effects the research) and they are transported in controlled conditions. Vans are used many times because it is easier to contain the rats if there is an 'accident' - try opening your door with 500 rats loose.

Also I was pulled over by the US border patrol a few days ago for a spot check, I went through the check point and 15 miles later here comes this jeep with flashers on. He search the truck, including under the hood and even under the truck, finding no one other than me on board. I can't see how anyone would fit under the hood but he said you would be surprise that it does happen often enough. The other interesting thing that happened was at one of the check points they grabbed a bunch of people who made it over the border and were on their way to CA. I counted 17 but I think there were more crammed into a caravan.

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
This has nothing to do with rats, but I noticed my GPS speed was slightly different than my speedo speed on my GMC van. Original size tires. Which speed would most likely be accurate?
:+ :+

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
If the GPS is one of those less-than $100 receivers used via a laptop, like with MS or DeLorme, then the vehicle odometer is probably correct. The laptop GPS devices are often off by as much as 3 MPH. If the GPS is a Garmin, then it's the correct one.

Sprinters have a quirk where the speedometer shows you going roughly 3 MPH faster than you really are. The odometer will be correct, however. It depends on what size wheels you have. 15" wheels and the speedometer will be correct, but the odometer will show less miles traveled than you actually went (which is a plus regarding the mileage warranty). 16" wheels and the odometer will be correct, but the speedometer will be off. The van's computer can be reprogrammed if you change tire size, but apparently it's just impossible to program it for both an accurate odometer and speedometer at the same time. That's the silliest thing I've ever heard.

The Sprinter has a hard-coded absolute maximum speed of 84 MPH. But, that's according to the speedometer. When the speedometer says you're doing 84, you're really doing 81.

I have a Garmin c550 standalone, a laptop GPS puck, the van's speedometer, and a ScanGauge II. The ScanGauge II and the Garmin both register the same speed, which is the accurate speed. The van's speedometer and the laptop GPS both agree with each other, but it's the wrong speed. Weird.

BigBuzd1

Expert Expediter
I've got the C550 also, and yes, it does show a higher speed than my speedo, and according to roadside radar stands...the Garmin supplies the correct speed, which works well for me...the Mrs. will look over at my speedo and say I'm speeding..."lol, no I'm not...see", as I show her the Garmin.

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
Been thinking 'bout this for some time. Not likely Smokey would ticket anybody for 2 or 3 mph over the limit unless something else was involved. What I suspect was that he found out his wife AND his girl friend are both pregnant. Could that be the deciding factor?
:+ :+