Things You Need to Ask

ATeam

Retired Expediter
From the article: "What other questions do you ask recruiters when you're on a carrier search? What details about a carrier are make or break for you?"

1. How fair is your dispatch system and how can I verify your answer?

2. Does your company own any trucks or trailers?

3. If your company owns trucks and trailers, are they dispatched in a way that gives preference to them over others in the fleet?

4. Does every contractor in the fleet operate under the same contract or are different contractors paid different rates (or are charged different fees) or receive different bonuses under different contracts and/or special deals?

5. If there are special deals in your fleet, which one is the best and how do I become eligible for it?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
From the article: "What other questions do you ask recruiters when you're on a carrier search? What details about a carrier are make or break for you?"

3. If your company owns trucks and trailers, are they dispatched in a way that gives preference to them over others in the fleet?

4. Does every contractor in the fleet operate under the same contract or are different contractors paid different rates (or are charged different fees) or receive different bonuses under different contracts and/or special deals?

5. If there are special deals in your fleet, which one is the best and how do I become eligible for it?

Thats just too many questions.;)

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Let's not be overly harsh with recruiters. They are a favorite punching bag but much of the criticism is undeserved. Drivers are not widely known for resisting the temptation to hear what they want to hear and remembering what they want to remember.

Last edited:

Brisco

Expert Expediter

Thats just too many questions.;)

Still just a little bit bitter over the whole FedEx ordeal...........Huh??? :)

I got one that comes from my ordeal with the Panther recruiter I tried to work with several several years ago.....

"Can you please provide me proof, either by legitimate settlement sheets or the actual/verifiable contact information, of the Cargo Van Drivers in your fleet that are clearing $100,000 - $120,000 a year Driving a Cargo Van all across the country??"

Yeah....sign me up there Mr Recruiter...I can't pass up a deal up like that!!! :rolleyes:

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Moot;

Even being a recruiter in the past, I love that Xtranormal movie you did a couple years back. I still find it funny as heck today. Unfortunately in Expediting, like any other business, you are not guaranteed success.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks John. While I did take a shot at recruiters, I was also poking fun at the people who want to enter this business with a cargo van and expect to make boat loads of money.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
"Can you please provide me proof, either by legitimate settlement sheets or the actual/verifiable contact information, of the Cargo Van Drivers in your fleet that are clearing $100,000 - $120,000 a year Driving a Cargo Van all across the country??"

I have a very hard time believing a recruiter told you that vans were "clearing" that much money. I guess we'd need to define clearing.

STruckingGal

Active Expediter
One way to find out more about a company, the 'real' down and dirty, is to scout out some employees or owner-operators, and get some info from them. When you're talking face to face with someone and can ask direct, specific questions, for the most part, you'll get truthful answers.
Recruiters have a job to do. Sometimes they don't mean any harm, but they often are not very accurate when answering questions for hiring. The recruiters work for the carrier, and their job is to get more drivers/owner-operators on board. Some will deliberately mislead the applicant, just to get them on-board. Ask as many questions as you're able, and then verify the answers with a presently employed o/o or company driver. Also, try to find out if there are folks who have been with the company for a long time. This can be a good indication that there may be a future in driving for this company. They must be doing 'something right', to keep people for long periods of time. Just a few ideas, that may help.

dletheridge

Seasoned Expediter
Researching
One of my favorite ways that I find out about carriers, is that I'll call the several times trying to get the same recruiter and ask the same questions. But, with the twist of slightly changing the wording of the questions.

My personal experience with talking with drivers or looking on the web is that you either will get the too glowing or the too dark kind of comments.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
A great way to ask the questions, to talk to other drivers, and talk to truck dealers is to attend the Expedite Expo. The Expo is crawling with drivers for fleet owners, O/O, recruiters for most of the Expedite Companies. Come prepared to ask a lot of questions and take notes. Attend the workshops and go ask more questions.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
"Greetings fresh meat." Bwahahahahha!

Hahahaha.....

Same outlook with the 3PL Companies, or the 3PL Company I was with for almost 5 years, we had towards the new drivers we used to hire. We had around 175 "Local" Drivers under contract with us doing local deliveries for the Dealerships we also did OTR runs for. Our term for "New Hires" was "Virgins".

Why???

Cause they hadn't been fornicated by the Dealerships, the Parts Managers, the Service Techs, and so on.....YET. (I would've used the real word we used....but since I've gotten in trouble on the board here recently....it's best I didn't for now. :) )

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
:)My favorite two part question I asked about five years ago after I was dictated the insane list of requirements and restrictions then the stuidly low pay rate was.

"You mind waiting here for a minite, I have to go get my title, and can you have a check for $35,000.00 ready to buy my truck?"

It goes without saying I was not hired and I stil have the truck.