The Trump Card...

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Why is Disney’s stock falling? Stocks go up and down. Truth Social just completed a merger. According to Nunes, it’s a three year plan. Be patient and stay out of the prognostication business.
As an investor, a significant part of my life is spent in the prognostication business. I'm good at it and will remain in it, thank you very much.

Nunes has been predicting Truth Social success since its inception. Now, when forced to reveal the truth on the public record, the company itself says in public its viability as a going concern is questionable. Why would a company that claims to have $200 million "in the bank" also say of itself that its continued viability as a going concern is questionable? It might be because that money is not actually "in the bank."

I looked at the TMTG SEC filing. That money is not "in the bank." It is in a special account entitled "Cash Held in Trust Account." While that money may be on deposit in a bank, it is not cash the company is free to spend. It is held in a designated trust for reasons I do not know. I do no know because I have not dug deeper into this. I presume the money is in trust because it is encumbered by the terms of the merger.

I do know that if TMTG was free to spend this money, the money would be listed in the "Total Current Assets" account. The reports says the balance of that account is $395,000.

Regarding Disney, it closed yesterday at $117.35, up 31% year to date, and near it's 52 week high.

Comparing Disney to TMTG to make or defend political points is a fools errand. In its current, post-merger form, TMTG is not even a month old. Disney is a major company that has been around for decades. TMTG is currently a meme stock, which means it cannot be analyzed as a more-established stock can be. Disney is a going concern and is followed by analysts in every major investment firm.

Last edited:
Reactions: RLENT and Ragman

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
As an investor, a significant part of my life is spent in the prognostication business. I'm good at it and will remain in it, thank you very much.

Nunes has been predicting Truth Social success since its inception. Now the company itself says in public its viability as a going concern is questionable. Why would a company that claims to have $200 million "in the bank" also say of itself that its continued viability as a going concern is questionable? It might be because that money is not actually "in the bank."

I looked at the TMTG SEC filing. That money is not "in the bank." It is in a special account entitled "Cash Held in Trust Account." While that money may be on deposit in a bank, it is not cash the company is free to spend. It is held in a designated trust for reasons I do not know. I do no know because I have not dug deeper into this. I presume the money is in trust because it is encumbered by the terms of the merger.

I do know that if TMTG was free to spend this money, it would be listed in the "Total Current Assets" account, the balance of which is $395,000, the report says.

Regarding Disney, it closed yesterday at $117.35, up 31% year to date, and near its 52 week high.
Disney’s stock has been down the last week. The point is that it’s a mere snapshot of a stock like DJT. It’s a long term(3 year plan) investment..

• Haha

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Lol lol lol
First a constitutional scholar, now a Wall Street investment expert....
There is no Wall Street expertise demonstrated here. Like many of the people who have invested in TMTG, muttly is using TMTG as a proxy to express one's sentiments and hopes regarding Donald Trump. He's not looking at the investment charts and reports. This is emotional for him, not analytical.

It's emotional for me too. I'm taking great pleasure watching DJT stock fall like a rock after the merger. A week or so ago, I put my emotions aside to consider DJT as an investment. Understanding this to be a very high risk gamble because the company is a meme stock, and believing the stock was destined to go lower, I seriously considered taking a short position or a put-option position in that direction. When I looked into it, I found that other investors overwhelmingly had the same sentiment. The market forces they created made the cost of shorting the stock very high. Options premiums were prohibitively high as well. I decided against this bet because the risk and cost were too high for my tastes.

With the benefit of hindsight, it would have been profitable to make this trade. That's OK. There is always another trade to make.

I have never invested in a meme stock in my life. But it's hard to keep my eyes off DJT, like it's hard to keep one's eyes off a cataclysmic car wreck as you drive safely by.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There is no Wall Street expertise demonstrated here. Like many of the people who have invested in TMTG, muttly is using TMTG as a proxy to express one's sentiments and hopes regarding Donald Trump. He's not looking at the investment charts and reports. This is emotional for him, not analytical.

It's emotional for me too. I'm taking great pleasure watching DJT stock fall like a rock after the merger. A week or so ago, I put my emotions aside to consider DJT as an investment. Understanding this to be a very high risk gamble because the company is a meme stock, and believing the stock was destined to go lower, I seriously considered taking a short position or a put-option position in that direction. When I looked into it, I found that other investors overwhelmingly had the same sentiment. The market forces they created made the cost of shorting the stock very high. Options premiums were prohibitively high as well. I decided against this bet because the risk and cost were too high for my tastes.

With the benefit of hindsight, it would have been profitable to make this trade. That's OK. There is always another trade to make.

I have never invested in a meme stock in my life. But it's hard to keep my eyes off DJT, like it's hard to keep one's eyes off a cataclysmic car wreck as you drive safely by.
So, you initially missed the short. Then still didn’t jump on the short when the opportunity was there. Ok, thanks for playing.

• Haha
Reactions: RLENT

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The whole thing about "betting" on stocks is one of the things they do on wall st that needs to be banned, just another way the rich scam the poor out of their hard earned money.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The whole thing about "betting" on stocks is one of the things they do on wall st that needs to be banned, just another way the rich scam the poor out of their hard earned money.
Or how about the Federal Reserve not continuously juicing Wall Street at the expense of the poor’s hard earned money.

• Haha

ATeam

Retired Expediter
So, you initially missed the short. Then still didn’t jump on the short when the opportunity was there. Ok, thanks for playing.
I missed nothing. I looked at it at exactly the right time and chose to avoid it because the borrowing cost of DJT was prohibitively high, and at times, the supply of stocks to borrow was depleted. There were a lot of people who wanted to short the stock but could not because there were no shares available to short.

That's not why I passed on the opportunity. The trade itself -- shorting an extremely high-risk meme stock -- was too risky for my risk tolerance. While I would have been right had I been able to make this trade, it would have been wrong to make it because it lied outside my risk tolerance. Had the expense of making this trade been lower, I might have acted differently but it wasn't so I didn't.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
You are not wrong. In the DJT case, a whole lot of that is going on. Poor people who should know better, but don't know better, are driving the price high on their Donald Trump hopes. And they're doing so with zero regard to or even knowledge of the actual financial status of this company. The "smart money" got in before the stock was even publicly available. They paid about $12 per share or even got them for free. When the six month insider trading restriction lifts, they will unload their shares at a likely profit, pocketing the money the poor people invested on Trump hopes.

Trump's DJT stock is a classic pump and dump scheme in progress.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
In what way do you mean?
All those years of quantitative easing: poor people who had some money in the bank couldn’t get it to grow because they were getting nothing in return. While those that had money to invest could just put money in the stock market. One of the reasons rich got richer and poor got poorer.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
All those years of quantitative easing: poor people who had some money in the bank couldn’t get it to grow because they were getting nothing in return. While those that had money to invest could just put money in the stock market. One of the reasons rich got richer and poor got poorer.
True but the flip side of that was all of the cheap money because of low interest rates. Big corporations were living beyond their means on debt so that the CEO could get a bigger raise.

Now that interest rates are higher, those who have some money in the bank are back to making something.

I dont fully understand the reason they raise interest rates to combat inflation, but there are plenty of good and bad things that happen when they are really low and when they are really high. Either way, the rich know how to manipulate it to their favor, the rest of us get screwed.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Also, of course the out of control spending by congress that is driving down the value of the dollar to the point where eventually it won’t be the world’s reserve currency. Again, the poor bares the brunt of lower purchasing power from high inflation.

Reactions: ATeam