The Trump Card...

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The U.S has gained more benefit from imigration, than lost. That said I would still like have some notion of who is entering the U.S. and what their purpose is .

jimmy

There's is a vast difference between legal immigration and illegal.

Reactions: Turtle

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
There's is a vast difference between legal immigration and illegal.
Legal or illegal , most immigrant are seeking a better life for themselves and their families . It is the individuals who have a different goal that I am concerned about .

jimmy

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
“Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed, to me:
I lift my lamp beside the golden door.”

Emma Lazarus

Does this help?
Not any more. We are now broke. :eek:

Reactions: jujubeans

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
illegal-immigration.jpg

Reactions: davekc and Ragman

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
So if I point out one example where one CNN host criticized Hillary then you would have to admit CNN doesn't have an agenda? Seriously?
No I was referring to propaganda. If a news organization is a propagandist news organization, other points of view/arguments are never heard. What all of them have is an agenda. And it effects how they often times present the news. Here are some examples I have heard and seen in the last day on CNN. Brianna Keiler did a news story last night about Hillary on the campaign trail. In her story she showed Hillary coughing. She mentioned that Hillary said it was just allergies and then showed a sound bite with her saying something like 'allergic to Trump.' Keiler then mentioned Trump has brought up the coughing episode as a concern, but she then framed her story by stating something like Trump has often latched on to conspiracy theories in the past.
Very dishonest report. Using some elements of truth (Trump questioned Obama's birth certificate in the past) to dismiss a possible issue with a candidate's health and protect Hillary and try to diminish Trump.
CNN this evening from what I've seen: Panel discussions all agreeing with each other about Trump not releasing tax returns. More Trump birther stories with the question- Should Trump apologize to Obama? Trump pay to play 'schemes' . Another panel with 6 people agreeing with each other and one pro Trump person there.
Another story about Trump being a birther. They asked Mike Pence and he said Obama was born in Hawaii. 'Should Trump say the same?
I'm bring this up about CNN only because I happen to be watching them right now. And the thought that comes to mind is - They sure are trying real hard to politically damage Trump and get Hillary elected. Agenda much?

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Are you for 10,000 Syrian refugees settling in Detroit?
I got no problem with that. There's plenty of room for the hard working people of the Middle East. Dearborn is proof of that.

Of course, Trump will want to build a wall here also.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I got no problem with that. There's plenty of room for the hard working people of the Middle East. Dearborn is proof of that.

Of course, Trump will want to build a wall here also.
What about the people of Detroit. Shouldn't they get first dibs on that?

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
What about the people of Detroit. Shouldn't they get first dibs on that?
Detroit is a city with an infrastructure for 2 million people. For the last 56 years Detroit has bled population like a sieve.
The current population of just over 600,000 would have no problem absorbing 10,000.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
If a news organization is a propagandist news organization, other points of view/arguments are never heard.
Not at all. One of the cornerstones of good long-term propaganda is to make the source trustworthy and believable. The easiest way to do that is to show the other side of an issue, especially when you can do it in such a way as to then dismiss it or discredit it. Fox News has proven itself to be a master at that.

What all of them have is an agenda.
Agenda and bias are often used interchangeably, especially when it comes to politics, but they are really very different. Each word can have a multitude of definitions, but for political news reporting, academia and research, the most common and salient definitions are as follows (along with that of propaganda):

Bias - Judgment unfairly influenced by subjective opinion when the situation calls for reliance on objective fact.

Agenda - A goal or intention usually consciously or unconsciously concealed.

Propaganda - An improper appeal to emotion used for the purpose of swaying the opinions of an audience, to promote a particular biased political cause or point of view usually in the furtherance of an agenda.

The liberal media has a bias, but they may or may not have an agenda to promote. It is widely believed that most of the MSM, and CNN in particular, has the agenda of helping Hillary Clinton get elected. It is something I also believe. It is a goal they intentionally try to conceal, but they're really bad at it most of the time. But they promote that agenda with a strong bias, and not by the use of propaganda, at least not to the same degree that Fox News relentlessly promotes a conservative ideological agenda. CNN will propagandize bits and pieces of the liberal agenda, but that's not what they are there for, and it's not what they chiefly engage themselves within. Conversely, ideological propaganda is Fox News' primary pursuit. No, it's not their sole pursuit, they don't do it 100% of the time all the time forever and ever amen, but it's mostly what they do.

And it effects how they often times present the news.
I would say it it is the overwhelming amount of the time, rather than merely often times. The bias is heavily ingrained. They think reporters interviewing reporters about their opinions is news, but it's just another way to show a bias. When a reporter reports a story, if they can do so without addition any additional personal comments, conclusions, of what it means subjectively, then the bias isn't there. But as soon as the anchor asks them some followup question, BAM, there it is.

Here are some examples I have heard and seen in the last day on CNN. Brianna Keiler did a news story last night about Hillary on the campaign trail. In her story she showed Hillary coughing. She mentioned that Hillary said it was just allergies and then showed a sound bite with her saying something like 'allergic to Trump.' Keiler then mentioned Trump has brought up the coughing episode as a concern, but she then framed her story by stating something like Trump has often latched on to conspiracy theories in the past.
Very dishonest report.
Yeah, they tend to present the coughing episode as a cute and adorable bit. But the sudden urge to bring up conspiracy theories, and other things from Trump's past ("this is what he said in 2007..."), and then try and hit on them very, very hard, is a blatant attempt at what is called "Agenda-Setting Theory" where if a news item is covered frequently and prominently, with the teller repeatedly saying how big a deal it is and how important it is, the audience will regard the issue as more important. The media sets the agenda for the audience.

That can also be done in reverse, where the media (including carefully chosen panelists) keep harping about how the e-mail scandal is old news and not very importance, and if they do it often enough, the audience will soon regard it as "nothing to see here, move along."

One very interesting bit of bias is how they are reporting the current polling. Even CNN in reporting their own polling results. It wasn't too long ago when Clinton led Trump is the polls by 2 points. Every chance they had it was reported that "Clinton leads Trump by two points!" Now that the tables have reversed and Trump leads Clinton by the same 2 points, it's a relentless "Clinton and Trump are in a virtual tie, or at least within the margin of error."

Reactions: muttly

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
“Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed, to me:
I lift my lamp beside the golden door.”

Emma Lazarus Does this help?
One of my favorites from the National Lampoon Radio Hour:

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Detroit is a city with an infrastructure for 2 million people. For the last 56 years Detroit has bled population like a sieve.
The current population of just over 600,000 would have no problem absorbing 10,000.
People from Detroit who live there now and are citizens should get that work and live in those houses.

Windsor

Veteran Expediter
Not any more. We are now broke. :eek:

We spend 670+ billion a year on defence but we're broke? I think Russia is next at around 60 billion. Defence spending has went up every year of GWB and Obamas terms. Trump wants to increase defence spending.