The T/T Advantage

moose

Veteran Expediter
O/O are getting into Expediting for all kind of rezones.
Many are a class A CDL holders.
in this case , it is easy to forget the Tractor Trailer advantage .
if you buy into a T/T , and things just don't work out the way you planed , you can always take your tractor and lease on with a Trucking Company .
if you buy into a strait truck , you must make it within the Expedite market.

Moose.

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
I have to disagree with that assesment of the straight trucks. There are loads of local and regional carriers that utilize straights for doing calls and some guys do alright. Many of these have expeditied calls going short distances that pay well and if equipped with tailgate lift there are many jobs to be had delivering for various outfits. I know a couple of local places where their top drivers make reasonable money. Now these guys work for it and do multiple calls a day but quite often they do well in just 8 hours on the road.
Rob

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
There's also that T/T disadvantage: finding somewhere to park that puppy. It was tough when I drove T/T 5 years ago, and it's only getting worse.

Jayman

Expert Expediter
Im thinking of buying either a T/T or a straight truck next year. One of my key issues is this. I dont want to be on the road for a lengthy period of time. Right now, my company sends me places that I can get to within 11 hrs. After I deliver, I have to go down for 10 hrs. Then I dead head home. Thats the way the company does it almost 100% of the time.

If I buy a truck of any kind, I know I wont be able to operate like that. But, I dont want to spend my 34 hrs of reset time on the road. So, I would like to run hard until I reach my hos limit. Then go home for 2-3 days. Is it possible to do that and still generate about $3,000 a month? (after expenses) I live near I-70 in Terre Haute IN.

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
Jayman i have a similar problem where I work with the sending me out and no backhaul but rather than look elsewhere I'm working on changing their ideas of doing things so now they are looking into load boards etc. It has been a slow process but with constant input and reminders and giving reasons for the change and of course benefits of greater income etc I think they are starting to see the light (oh wait that's the sun rising....). I can relate to the deadhead part as I have a lot more than most expeditors.
I'm not too sure if with the current market conditions if you'd be able to run hard for the week and then go home for a couple of days and then do it again. I get busy one day and sleep half the next. Most of my calls are short runs which means not a lot of time running.
Rob

moose

Veteran Expediter
Jayman
you can easily clear 3K$ a month running a dedicated run out of your area.
on a T/T running general freight .
(heck ,with some experience ,you can do so as a Co. Driver)
with the current HOS , many trucking Company's have changed the operation for regional job, maximizing the 34 hours restart at home.
i dont think you can reach your home-time/3K goals , running Expedite , tho'w.

Moose.

Jayman

Expert Expediter
Jayman i have a similar problem where I work with the sending me out and no backhaul
Rob, thanks for the info. I may not of made situation clear. I am a company driver. So, it dont cost me money to deadhead. lol But, you make good points that I need to consider.

Jayman
you can easily clear 3K$ a month running a dedicated run out of your area.
on a T/T running general freight .
(heck ,with some experience ,you can do so as a Co. Driver)
with the current HOS , many trucking Company's have changed the operation for regional job, maximizing the 34 hours restart at home.
i dont think you can reach your home-time/3K goals , running Expedite , tho'w.

Moose.
Thanks. I may end up going T/T then. Time will tell. Fortunately, I can get my class A and drive for my current employer and decide whether I want to buy my own before I take the plunge. I drive a straight truck now. May look into whether I can get general freight biz with a straight truck too. Somebody mentioned that was possible.

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
O/O are getting into Expediting for all kind of rezones.
Many are a class A CDL holders.
in this case , it is easy to forget the Tractor Trailer advantage .
if you buy into a T/T , and things just don't work out the way you planed , you can always take your tractor and lease on with a Trucking Company .
if you buy into a strait truck , you must make it within the Expedite market.

Moose.

The more I read mooses post the more I want my own Tractor trailer.
Im going to have it. Id rather be running and paying for somthing of my own then paying somebodys elses bills
Bills Bills hmm Dixi Chicks what happend to Bill where is Bill
YA ROTFLMAO

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
It is rare that you can read posts regarding T/T's on EO...
Most on here are straight truck and cargo van/Sprinter drivers/owners.

It is also rare that you see posts from other T/T operators, other than FedEx and PII.

I still have yet to see a post from a T/T driver/operator with other co.'s than FedEx and PII. And even those 2 there's only 1 of each.

What's the deal there??? Both co.'s watch your logs and your movement like a hawk, regardless of whether you are loaded or not.

The real question I have:

Are there advantages to running T/T for expedited co.'s Besides FedEx and/or PII???

When I rarely see T/T subjects on here, it really makes me wonder, why? where are they?
if the money is so good in T/T expediting, then why don't other co.'s than FedEx and PII appear to be talked about on here?

They're both good co.'s, but I know that other co.'s use T/T's for expedited freight.

This is an interesting post. Hopefully I've just made it more interesting.

BigbBob

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
There are other expedite companies that use T T,but in regards to your question,there are more than 2 of us with T T that post here,just seems that only a couple of us post on a regular bases.There is a big advantage to useing an E unit,we can haul B, C, D loads if needed.If you were to concider putting a tractor to work,the biggest advantage is there is less competition,so you dont tend to sit around as much as the straight trucks.I'm not going into the pay scales,or who would be the best to contact,just remember most recruiters are like used car salesmen.You should find a contractor from the expedite companies,and have a talk with them

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Ok, Steve... I have a question within this post... is it worth it for a contract driver like myself to get on with an o/o who has an 18 wheeler with an expedited co. besides FedEx or PII??? Versus a straight truck?

Am I going to make more money as a solo in an 18 wheeler driving for an owner -that pays the fuel for me- for any expedited co. versus being a solo in a regular freight co. driving 18's?

how about teams ina straight truck versus solo in an 18? Is the money still good?

These are basically yes and no questions, no need to mention numbers (unless you want to). Numbers can tend to bring up heated debates on here at times. However, Numbers are always interesting.

Thanks, BigbBob

wallytrucker1

Expert Expediter
Big Bob: ! think there are a half dozen t/t here at leam. I just pull a 40' van with lift gate; works well for what I do here.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Bob,since I dont have any idea about straight truck revenue,except when I might haul one,once in a while,I cant give you a real answer to compare straight truck teams to tractor solos,but I will say,running solo all depends where you are,whether you are willing to do short loads,and have the patience to work around the HOS.There are a lot of variables to making money as a solo,same as a team,but you will stay loaded more as a team.I cant say where you might make the most money,all the companies have ther own problems,its basically what your willing to deal with.I'm satisfied with FECC,you may not be.I make a lot of money here,You may not.Ive run solo here,have had fantastic weeks,have had weeks I'd rather not talk about,but I will say,my net income is much better running team than solo.This probably doesnt help much,I think the way some of the companies set up there systems,you may be able to do ok as a solo.My co-driver has run solo for some other owners,never in a straight truck,always in a tractor,he will tell you, he makes more running team than solo

easyrider2697

Expert Expediter
Steve pretty well hit the nail on the head, being a tractor we have the ability to move all the sizes of freight that the company has to offer, we can take our loads to places that a cv or straight truck will not go to because they cant get reloaded as quick, with Panther I have the ability to backhaul if I want to and relocate myself to a better area to get another expedite load instead of sitting for a day or so waiting on one, I will say both team and solo has its pro and cons, thats why I run 2 tractors and a total of 3 drivers, I have a floater driver that runs in both trucks and I personally believe it works great, gets a little hair pulling every now and then but really works out well...Parking it is not that bad, maybe once a week or every 10 days I have to circle the lot a couple times before I find a spot.:p

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Panther and FedEx again, both saying the same thing. But, Thank you.
Basically, stick to regular freight for solo 18 work.
Go team in expediting 18's to make money.
Team in anything makes more money, that's a no brainer.
No other 18 wheel operators (from other co.'s than the 2 above) want to comment on this thread??

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
At the beginning of this "thread" the opinion that with a TT you can always drive for a Trucking Co. In Mountain Grove MO. as you pass by the Sale Barn, on the South side of highway #60 there are today, nine Tractor Trailers sitting in a For Sale Consignment lot. In mid July there were at least thirteen. All twin screw with sleepers. I don't understand if anyone with a Tractor trailer can sign on with a Company, why these owner choose to stay home and sell their Rig.

kangar0085

Seasoned Expediter
Ok, Steve... I have a question within this post... is it worth it for a contract driver like myself to get on with an o/o who has an 18 wheeler with an expedited co. besides FedEx or PII??? Versus a straight truck?

Am I going to make more money as a solo in an 18 wheeler driving for an owner -that pays the fuel for me- for any expedited co. versus being a solo in a regular freight co. driving 18's?

how about teams ina straight truck versus solo in an 18? Is the money still good?

These are basically yes and no questions, no need to mention numbers (unless you want to). Numbers can tend to bring up heated debates on here at times. However, Numbers are always interesting.

Thanks, BigbBob

I've been solo with US Xpress as a company driver and now I'm an owner operator at Panther with a T/T I'd say you will make the same money with an expedite carrier but will work alot less then with a truckload company like US Xpress who will get you an average of 2800 miles per week.

kwexpress

Veteran Expediter
if you ask me a t/t is the only way to go.you dont need to sign on with anyone.

the cost of operation is more the insurance is more just everything is more.
but consider this.I take 3 or 4 ltls from IL to fl that all pay at least $1 per mile
usally I gross over 4k for my trip down and I have a house in fl so I dont deadhead out I spend a couple of day on the boards to find ltl there and along my route back.so over the course of a month I may sit for 1 week but its at home.
for every week and 1/2 I only run about 2,500 miles total but it averages out to $3 per mile by the time I am done so why would I expedite on there schedule when I can work that this.
I have been off the road since february by choice but will most likely be back on the road after x-mass.

I like my own schedule hos is never a problem and as far as terre haute,IN thats a good area you should do well