The Quiet Exodus

flattop40

Expert Expediter
Wow you must have it stripped down to nothing cause doesn't the 2500 ext have a curb weight of something like 5400 lbs right of the assembly line?? with a gross of 8550. thats only 3150 cargo cap. If we throw you in and your clothes in there I would think it would be hard to legally scale 3000 lbs. Now it you have the 3500 Sprinter then I could clearly see you getting well over the 3000 lbs legally. I am using 5400 lbs as a est. I took a 2007 long and tall to a scale with a full tank of fuel, wright of the used car lot no extra stuff installed completely stock and it came in @ 5589 with no driver in it. I don't know how people are hauling 3000 + lbs. in these things legally with a 2500 chassis.

In my E350 I was originally weighed at 5400 and had a GVW of 9400 so I was rated for up to 4000lbs. This was ready to roll. Now with a co- driver I have had saftey reset me at 3400lbs.

comet_4298

Seasoned Expediter
I took a 2007 long and tall to a scale with a full tank of fuel, wright of the used car lot no extra stuff installed completely stock and it came in @ 5589 with no driver in it. I don't know how people are hauling 3000 + lbs. in these things legally with a 2500 chassis.

I like to know how your even getting 2500lbs after you put your equipment and all things one might take for the road.

I have a sleeper in mine and been trying to get the weight down ,but I can't seem to get what everybody clams they can put on.The last curb weight I seen was 5870,so by the time you put your self in the seat it's going to be no less than 6,000lbs.then you start adding e-track, straps,etc........,I don't see really that you can get much over 2000 and be legal.

If anybody knows the trick,please let me in on it.You can PM if you like.I'm needing help quick.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Every time I go home and do anything to the van I make sure to get an empty weight ticket before my next load. My most recent one weighs in at 6320 with the fridge, bunk, batteries, shelves and the assorted crap. That leaves me 2230 for cargo.

60MPH

Expert Expediter
In my E350 I was originally weighed at 5400 and had a GVW of 9400 so I was rated for up to 4000lbs. This was ready to roll. Now with a co- driver I have had saftey reset me at 3400lbs.

Thats the curb weight form the manufacture right?? I just checked and a 09 e-350 ext commercial van comes in at 5533 with the gasser in it. I have yet to run into anyone out here that has nothing in there van except themselves. Unless they are running local. even if you had the short van it would still come in at 5390. here is where I got the curb weights from Vehicle Specifications and Options - Ford Commercial Trucks Maybe a couple a years ago the vans were lighter but I don't see them being anymore than 100 or 200lbs lighter than they are today. I will say this, I did not see anywhere on the website that said if the curb weight did or did not included a average weight driver @ 150lbs. It is possible that that there curb weight has this in there but I sure looked for it and did not find it. I know GM list there curb weight with all fluids full and a 150 lbs. driver but it is also noted with a * at the bottom of the page.

Also, in my earlier post I was talking about these Super Sprinters that can haul 3000+:rolleyes: I see Turtle listed his real curb weight. Thank you for being honest.

It just bugs me when I see people overloading there equipment and boasting how much they can haul with it. When they know they are overloading it. Last Monday I was @ a shipper in northern IN. And there was a DDS "FT. Wayne" sprinter there and he was putting on 2 skids that weighed it at 1800 lbs a piece. He was going down to Louisville with them, says he does it all the time and has never had a problem:eek: then argued with me telling me that the sprinters can legally haul up to 10k be for they are considered over weight. What a dum a%^:mad: It just amazes me that a carrier would send a sprinter to pick up a 3600lbs load.

comet_4298

Seasoned Expediter
Thats the curb weight form the manufacture right?? I just checked and a 09 e-350 ext commercial van comes in at 5533 with the gasser in it. I have yet to run into anyone out here that has nothing in there van except themselves. Unless they are running local. even if you had the short van it would still come in at 5390. here is where I got the curb weights from Vehicle Specifications and Options - Ford Commercial Trucks Maybe a couple a years ago the vans were lighter but I don't see them being anymore than 100 or 200lbs lighter than they are today. I will say this, I did not see anywhere on the website that said if the curb weight did or did not included a average weight driver @ 150lbs. It is possible that that there curb weight has this in there but I sure looked for it and did not find it. I know GM list there curb weight with all fluids full and a 150 lbs. driver but it is also noted with a * at the bottom of the page.

Also, in my earlier post I was talking about these Super Sprinters that can haul 3000+:rolleyes: I see Turtle listed his real curb weight. Thank you for being honest.

It just bugs me when I see people overloading there equipment and boasting how much they can haul with it. When they know they are overloading it. Last Monday I was @ a shipper in northern IN. And there was a DDS "FT. Wayne" sprinter there and he was putting on 2 skids that weighed it at 1800 lbs a piece. He was going down to Louisville with them, says he does it all the time and has never had a problem:eek: then argued with me telling me that the sprinters can legally haul up to 10k be for they are considered over weight. What a dum a%^:mad: It just amazes me that a carrier would send a sprinter to pick up a 3600lbs load.

If he would read his owners manual or look at the sticker on the drivers seat pedstel,he might get a better understanding...........Well I can get around 1600lbs. and be legal.........Guess that's why I'm always setting

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
as I've said many times....6100-6300 is my empty weight...so I'll take up to 2500....

Yeah I've seen them jerks putting 3,000 plus in a 2500...stupid. really stupid.

flattop40

Expert Expediter

Did you read my post? I got weighed just down the street from our office. I was ready to roll with all my stuff. I will repeat myself one more time on this subject. It weighed at 5400. which leaves me with 4000 cargo weight. I have the weigh slip and everything if you want to meet I will be happy to show it to you.

60MPH

Expert Expediter
Yea I read your post just wondering how you came in at 5400 with you and all your stuff in the truck when the curb from the manufacture is 5390 off the line for a shorty and heavier if you have the ext. Clothes, laptop, plywood, e-trak, straps, aux battery "if you have one" all add more weight. I went back as old as 2003 and the curb's listed are all within 100 lbs of each other. But if your scale ticket says 5400 then that must be what your van weighs. Cause them weigh scales are always right:rolleyes:

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
the po had a ticket of, memory serves, approx 5800(i am guessing empty). i got in and weighed at 6200. now after walls, floor and beds, box and stuff and two people 6900:eek::eek:.

yeah a truck and person diet is needed.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
as I've said many times....6100-6300 is my empty weight...so I'll take up to 2500....

Yeah I've seen them jerks putting 3,000 plus in a 2500...stupid. really stupid.

Those are the same people that complain that the Sprinters are no good and break down, I wonder why :rolleyes:

Reactions: 1 person