The Puppy Project

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm in the "what Linder said" camp. I'm as big a dog lover as you'll find, and I thought that when I moved up to the straight truck I'd have one on board. The responsibilities outweigh the advantages, IMHO. But, when I go home, the very first thing I do is play fetch and wrestle with Bob.

Scott101

Seasoned Expediter
If that doesn't work I could lend you a Mule. They're smart, affectionate BUT not house broken.

Plus considering they teach them to play basketball you would probably have little trouble turning him into a pretty good co-driver.

Or is that donkey's that play basketball? I always get the 2 mixed up...

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Everybody has an idea of the best dog for a truck is. Unfortunately, you are the only one who can determine what the best dog for YOU is. A few pointers on what is important on picking a dog:

-Do NOT get one from a puppy farm. A puppy farm is not the same as being raised on a farm. Puppy farms are breeders who breed to make a buck, plain and simple. They tend to be hyper (from being locked in cages), not healthy, and you would be promoting the industry to pump out more of these pets. If they aren't sold, they tend to be put down.

-If you get one from the shelter, spend time with it, to understand its temperment... skittish, hyper, friendly, cowering, etc. Mutts can be some of the best dogs, and they need good homes too.

-A dog that's a year or two old has its personality already, whereas a puppy could have an undesirable trait hidden until it gets older. Our dog, Cooper, was a hyper, energetic puppy; and now is an energetic 1 yr old. We've recently found out he's a much more calm dog with an Alpha (in this case, a female doberman mix) dominating him. He's always wanted to be dominated, but not necessarily by humans. His herding instincts (he's a mini Aussie Shepherd) are now restricted to rarely herding the cats. He doesn't mess with the kids so much anymore. IOW, he needed another dog in the house.

I took the liberty on doing a breed selector quiz based on what you mentioned you wanted. You should probably do the same just to get an idea. But keep in mind that this is not foolproof. You could get an entirely wrong breed for the truck (a pug is a bad breed for severe climate changes, but came up as a possible match), or for you. Also, you aren't going to get EVERYTHING you want in a dog. You may have to put up with grooming three times a week, or loud barking at strangers, or more than average training time, or a dog that likes to exercise more than you do.

Here's a couple you may want to look into further...

Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Welcome to PuppyFinder.com - The Most Comprehensive Online Resource for Finding and Raising a Puppy!

Miniature Schnauzer Welcome to PuppyFinder.com - The Most Comprehensive Online Resource for Finding and Raising a Puppy!

Sealyham Terrier Welcome to PuppyFinder.com - The Most Comprehensive Online Resource for Finding and Raising a Puppy!

Here's the link for the breed selector, so you can fine tune your own wants and needs: Welcome to PuppyFinder.com - The Most Comprehensive Online Resource for Finding and Raising a Puppy!

Let me know what you come up with. :)

themagicoen

Expert Expediter
Well I would have to vote for a springer spaniel, or a breed of springer. Most don't get too big, mine is around 30 lbs. Doesn't shed much, very very loyal - very useful cause you can have him out of the truck not on a leash. Just a thought.

gotta go

Veteran Expediter
Cheri, this is a link to the no-kill shelter where I was able to take the stray kitten I'd found. They are open 7 days a week and have truck parking at the Landstar yard right next door. Just a suggestion. Dingle wants me to point out that some people think a Siamese is a dog in cats clothing.
Southside Animal Shelter
This is in Indanapolis, in case you couldn't read my mind.

Last edited:

gotta go

Veteran Expediter
Well I would have to vote for a springer spaniel, or a breed of springer. Most don't get too big, mine is around 30 lbs. Doesn't shed much, very very loyal - very useful cause you can have him out of the truck not on a leash. Just a thought.
All good points until it got to the "not on a leash". Did you mean when you are on your fenced property or at a 'dog-park'? I'm sure you don't just let your dog run while you watch in an uncontrolled environment. The majority of municipalities have leash laws for dogs and some do for cats. As truck drivers we want to improve our image, not appear to flaunt the local regulations.
I'll step back down off my soap box.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Jeanie I agree with having your dog on a leash. It is so darn frustrating when you take your dog out for a walk and have dogs running uncontrolled over to see your dog. Molly is just about blind and she very seldom sees a dog running at her until they are about on top of her. Often the dog has an owner running behind them yelling the dogs name and trying to also yell the dog is friendly. The problem is even if the dog is friendly they over whelm our dog who is on her leash minding her own business.

It is also frustrating watching a dog owner at a customer’s property and not cleaning up after them.

louixo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Cheri, I love dogs, but not in my truck! I think you may rethink your want for a 4 legged companion the first time you have to take it out in the rain, cold, snow ,mud etc. Also, when you lay over somewhere and want to go sightseeing, or away from the truck for a few days, or even shopping all day, the dog has to go with you or lay up in a kennel, if you can find one. It`s akin to taking a child with you on the road in many ways. They always have to be watched and cared for 24/7. Maybe you could baby sit somebody`s dog for a week or so, so you get the experience of realy what it`s like, before you jump in. You might change your mind.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
If I still had my cat, he'd be with me in the truck. I loved taking him places. I walked thru Antietam Battlefield with him on my shoulder.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Don't buy this dog. She was rescued from a puppy mill and then posted on the internet. She has a seasonal skin allergy that is treated with a steroid that causes her to bulk up with an extra 8 pounds. She also has a food allergy and eats a special lamb and rice dog food. She requires a bath at least once a week. She snores and is a bed hog. But she doesn't shed!

Attachments

• Lyla head 2.jpg
    Lyla head 2.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 5
  • Lyla Dec. 2008 014.jpg
    Lyla Dec. 2008 014.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 8

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
It's probably Donkey basketball. Mules are a cross between a "Jack" a male donkey and a "mare" female horse. My mules are around 800-850 lbs apiece.

moose

Veteran Expediter
Everybody has an idea of the best dog for a truck is. Unfortunately, you are the only one who can determine what the best dog for YOU is. A few pointers on what is important on picking a dog:

-Do NOT get one from a puppy farm. A puppy farm is not the same as being raised on a farm. Puppy farms are breeders who breed to make a buck, plain and simple. They tend to be hyper (from being locked in cages), not healthy, and you would be promoting the industry to pump out more of these pets. If they aren't sold, they tend to be put down.

-If you get one from the shelter, spend time with it, to understand its temperment... skittish, hyper, friendly, cowering, etc. Mutts can be some of the best dogs, and they need good homes too.

-A dog that's a year or two old has its personality already, whereas a puppy could have an undesirable trait hidden until it gets older. Our dog, Cooper, was a hyper, energetic puppy; and now is an energetic 1 yr old. We've recently found out he's a much more calm dog with an Alpha (in this case, a female doberman mix) dominating him. He's always wanted to be dominated, but not necessarily by humans. His herding instincts (he's a mini Aussie Shepherd) are now restricted to rarely herding the cats. He doesn't mess with the kids so much anymore. IOW, he needed another dog in the house.

I took the liberty on doing a breed selector quiz based on what you mentioned you wanted. You should probably do the same just to get an idea. But keep in mind that this is not foolproof. You could get an entirely wrong breed for the truck (a pug is a bad breed for severe climate changes, but came up as a possible match), or for you. Also, you aren't going to get EVERYTHING you want in a dog. You may have to put up with grooming three times a week, or loud barking at strangers, or more than average training time, or a dog that likes to exercise more than you do.

Here's a couple you may want to look into further...

Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Welcome to PuppyFinder.com - The Most Comprehensive Online Resource for Finding and Raising a Puppy!

Miniature Schnauzer Welcome to PuppyFinder.com - The Most Comprehensive Online Resource for Finding and Raising a Puppy!

Sealyham Terrier Welcome to PuppyFinder.com - The Most Comprehensive Online Resource for Finding and Raising a Puppy!

Here's the link for the breed selector, so you can fine tune your own wants and needs: Welcome to PuppyFinder.com - The Most Comprehensive Online Resource for Finding and Raising a Puppy!

Let me know what you come up with. :)

this is so funny !!
now read that again ,
or any other post on this thread for that mattered ,
and every time it say dog ,
replace it with the word : women ...

Moose.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Cheri, at the risk of fiery arrows from all directions which my kevlar/asbestos shorts should repel, I'll also throw in the more serious comment that I hope you've quit smoking if you're serious about getting a dog as a travel companion.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Wow- some great stuff! First, I am going to check the local shelter before trying anywhere else, (Hawk, I know about puppy farms, and wouldn't consider it), and I do intend to research the breed(s) before committing to one. I'd like something small enough for me to pick up to clean paws (I keep my truck clean!), with minimal shedding. I've considered the drawbacks: leaving it in the truck (have a generator), visiting family (all are dog friendly), medical care (I'll keep up with it, same as I do for myself), and "no dogs allowed" - that's one I've never run into, and if I do, then I'll deal with it. (Hide it in a backpack?)
So far, I'm leaning toward some crossbreed that includes Poodle (smart, nonshedding) with some breed that will cancel the 'yap factor'.
PS Detmike: I'd be willing to consider a man, if he'd be content to eat once a day, and only take up a corner of the bed - and NOT the blankets!:p

gotta go

Veteran Expediter

PS Detmike: I'd be willing to consider a man, if he'd be content to eat once a day, and only take up a corner of the bed - and NOT the blankets!:p

If it'll clear the censor, you forgot to mention leash trained. That's a good trait in a man. :D

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Cheri, I forgot to mention that our guy is a great sleepin buddy! He doesn't hog the bed, he's easy to move around and makes an awesome bed warmer in the wintertime! :D

Whatever puppy you decide on, I would also recommend a crate. It will make housebreaking much easier, and give them a place that is "theirs".

Attachments

• sleepin buddy.jpg
    sleepin buddy.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 8

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Agree with the crate, Pel - dogs need a safe, quiet, private place too, that is not shared (except with their toys). Also agree with the need for a leash when outdoors, no matter how "well trained" (and training is a necessity).
Sure could use a cuddle puppy tonite - it's FREEZING!!!