The ProHeat ordeal continues

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I am sitting in Atlanta with a dead ProHeat. This is the fourth failure since installation 10/30/04. Two failures were loss of the climate control system and two, including this one, are total failures. At least one of the prior failures was due to a burned circuit board according to the technician. This failure is a burned board according to my nose and the bad smell of burning electronics when it quit. I am getting some support from ProHeat but not what I hoped for or believe should be given at the fourth failure in just over 6 months. If this repair isn't successful it will be time to pursue other action besides just returning for more service. I will update as details warrant. x(

Leo
truck 4958

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I am slowly beginning to see a trend of problems with these units.
Does anyone have a reliable unit running over a year?
I originally liked their setup, but they seem plagued with numerous problems. Is it more the unit, or the way it was installed?
Davekc

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I've just left the dealer after a 1 minute fix. Apparently there is some sort of design problem that allows EMI to affect the units. There is an upgrade circuit board in engineering now to address the EMI problem but no ETA for it at facilities. The "fix" was to unplug one wire from the unit and wait 1 minute to plug it back in. They aren't sure exactly why that works but it does. I don't believe the installation has any bearing on it. At least now I know which wire to unplug and can try it myself before going out of service for 28 hours to get it looked at.

Leo
truck 4958

cliffn

Expert Expediter
Leo: Glad to hear it was a "simple fix" this time.....

I have a question for you (or anyone else who cares to answer). ... We have a truck with a Pro-Heat unit. It was on the truck when we bought it (used). It works fine in the winter but it is not cooling properly. Do you have some dealers you can recommend to work on it? I know I can pull some up on the internet but thought you might have someone to recommend.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Cliff :) :) :)

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Cummins Mid States in Normal, IL. is my choice of the ones I've been to so far. I've also been to the ones in Ft. Wayne, IN., Indianapolis, IN. (twice), and Lake City, GA. (Atlanta). I haven't been specifically unhappy with any of them however the facility in Normal is the nicest and the people were equally good so it's my pick so far. I really hope to not see any of them for a very long time.

Leo
truck 4958

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
have a question for you (or anyone else who cares to answer). ... We have a truck with a Pro-Heat unit. It was on the truck when we bought it (used). It works fine in the winter but it is not cooling properly. Do you have some dealers you can recommend to work on it? I know I can pull some up on the internet but thought you might have someone to recommend.

If compressor is running ok, it is probably low on freon.
Does the compressor cycle continously? If it does, low freon or a leak is probably the cause. A dye test would be needed to find the leak.
Lastly, it could be a plugged condensor
I hope that helps
Davekc

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
call bill moore in north jackson oh 800 388 3850 i 76 ex 57 southand i
he's best when it comes to proheat
i had 2 proheats one on fl60 and one on star and he worked on them any time i need something done or was able to tell someone how to fix it

chetjester

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Wow!!! I thought it was only Blair Enterprises that was having ProHeat problems. Every time I go to AlumiBunk in Woodhaven, they try to fix mine but also tell me nobody else is having so many problems.

Thanks for making me feel better!!!!!

As far as I know, Tom refused delivery of 4 brand new trucks until they took the ProHeat off them. I never asked him if he replaced it with something else, like RigMaster.

I've had the circuit boards replaced in the CCU under my bunk in Atlanta. I've had the control panel in back of the actual ProHeat under the truck replaced in London, Ontario. I've had the capacitor under the generator replaced in Phoenix. I've had John at AlumiBunk work on it many times. Right now, it runs and makes electricity. But, the boards are burned out again and I have no heat or AC. In addition, when my AC did run, it would only run a few hours and then the unit under the bunk would turn into a block of ice.

I'm so discouraged.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Chetjester wrote,

In addition, when my AC did run, it would only run a few hours and then the unit under the bunk would turn into a block of ice.

Just like the A/C in your house, that is a lack of freon if it is freezing up. Or at least one of the problems.

Davekc

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
>I've had the circuit boards replaced in the CCU under my
>bunk in Atlanta.

There is a connector on the board under the bunk that is a miracle cure. I don't know what it is but the last time I was in for service the shop foreman came out and unplugged it. He left it loose for about one minute. He reconnected it and everything worked again. Prior to that nothing worked and the engine itself wouldn't even start.

The company is working on an 'upgrade' of an EMI board. They don't know when it will be available. Until then, if (when) it goes out on me again I will disconnect the wire for a minute or so before spending a day and a half out of service sitting at the repair facility.

The connector he unplugged is the second white multiwire connector from the outside wall of the sleeper under the left side access panel. This works in my unit but I am totally not a ProHeat mechanic and can't say if it will work for anyone else. It could fix it or it could initiate the self destruct sequence. I have no clue so use caution or keep it to ask about at your next service.

Leo
truck 4958

aardvarkman

Expert Expediter
>I am sitting in Atlanta with a dead ProHeat. This is the
>fourth failure since installation 10/30/04. Two failures
>were loss of the climate control system and two, including
>this one, are total failures. At least one of the prior
>failures was due to a burned circuit board according to the
>technician. This failure is a burned board according to my
>nose and the bad smell of burning electronics when it quit.
>I am getting some support from ProHeat but not what I hoped
>for or believe should be given at the fourth failure in just
>over 6 months. If this repair isn't successful it will be
>time to pursue other action besides just returning for more
>service. I will update as details warrant. x(
>
>Leo
>truck 4958
>
>Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you
>like.

I reply to this post with trepidation as I am happy I am not only the only one having a nightmare with this product, but very sad that I may be looking toward many more unhappy moments to come. I too have been down more often than not. I also purchased my ProHeat from Alumibunk with a new truck. It hasn't worked since I bought it. It failed twice with controls and freezes up whenever it does work. I haven't been able to get any help from Alumibunk as they say they are only an installing dealer, not a servicing one. They talk of a fix coming from the factory but no dates available. What good is a product that doesn't work?????????? Anyone with similar problems let me know as I am looking into a class action lawsuit.

excursionking

x(

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
When you run the a/c be sure to have it on high. Don't run it on low or it will freeze up and go warm. With it on high it seems to keep running properly. The 'fix' is an upgrade to the circuitry to eliminate EMI problems, at least from what I was told. It is in engineering now but no ETA to the dealers. My next truck is going to have an Onan or GenPac and a Coleman roof a/c unit. Those seem to be working great in millions of rv's so it should work well in this too. Good luck to you.

Leo
truck 4958

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
I very nearly bought a Pro Heat six months ago. I guess I'm glad I decided to wait a while. How has the reliability been on the Rigmaster units? Anyone out there have one of those?????

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
As Leo mentioned,
The best set ups are a truckgen or onan with a rooftop A/C unit.

We have used this setup on numerous trucks and haven't had any problems.
If installed correctly, you shouldn't have any problems.
It also doesn't tie in to the trucks existing A/C unit. This seems to be where alot of problems arise.
Rooftop setup will be more expensive. $8,000 to 10,000 should get you there.

Davekc
owner
20 years

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
>As Leo mentioned,
>The best set ups are a truckgen or onan with a rooftop A/C
>unit.
>
>We have used this setup on numerous trucks and haven't had
>any problems.
>If installed correctly, you shouldn't have any problems.
>It also doesn't tie in to the trucks existing A/C unit. This
>seems to be where alot of problems arise.
>Rooftop setup will be more expensive. $8,000 to 10,000
>should get you there.
>
>Davekc
>owner
>20 years

Both systems I've looked at run about $9800 however they both provide about 7.5kw of power vs. 4kw with the ProHeat. They also have the Coleman rooftop unit that has been proven in literally millions of applications. The ProHeat runs around $7500 so the difference isn't that huge in the grand scheme of things. One thing going for the ProHeat is keeping the coolant system warm in winter. Combined with the block heater it has the engine pretty well warmed up as soon as you start the truck. You still have to let the oil warm up but it does have you ready to run a little sooner. The most important point is do your research well before deciding on this or any major purchase.

Leo
truck 4958

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Both systems I've looked at run about $9800 however they both provide about 7.5kw of power vs. 4kw with the ProHeat. They also have the Coleman rooftop unit that has been proven in literally millions of applications. The ProHeat runs around $7500 so the difference isn't that huge in the grand scheme of things. One thing going for the ProHeat is keeping the coolant system warm in winter. Combined with the block heater it has the engine pretty well warmed up as soon as you start the truck. You still have to let the oil warm up but it does have you ready to run a little sooner. The most important point is do your research well before deciding on this or any major purchase.

Leo

On the truckgen and Onan, they can run a block heater, and if equipped with a alternator, they can charge your batteries. Heat on ours is a floor ceramic and a heat strip & heat pump are in the A/C unit overhead.
They have stick on heat pads (12 volts) for fuel tanks that can be located on the generator oil pan for fast winter starts. Hit the switch about 30 minutes before you are going to start it, and instant warm engine.;)

Davekc
owner
20 years

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
>On the truckgen and Onan, they can run a block heater, and
>if equipped with a alternator, they can charge your
>batteries. Heat on ours is a floor ceramic and a heat strip
>& heat pump are in the A/C unit overhead.
>They have stick on heat pads (12 volts) for fuel tanks that
>can be located on the generator oil pan for fast winter
>starts. Hit the switch about 30 minutes before you are going
>to start it, and instant warm engine.;)
>
>Davekc
>owner
>20 years

Do you have a facility to recommend that can do a proper installation of alternators, extra batteries, heat pads etc. and won't charge insanely for it? I'm going to check into the package from the sleeper company to see what all is included but doubt they include the heat pads etc. as standard. Thanks.

Leo
truck 4958

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Alternators will vary alittle depending on the unit you decide on.
RV and marine dealers are a great source for deep cycle batteries and installation.
Sears even has the batteries at a reasonable price but I wouldn't let them touch the install side of things. These have to be installed correctly.
RV dealer would be much more use to these, or a marine dealer.

Heat pads are available at truckgen in Jacksonville.
I will PM the info on that to you.

Davekc
owner
20 years

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>Anyone with similar problems let me know as I am looking into a >class action lawsuit.

Not wanting to burst your bubble here but being the unfortunate owner of the aux generator...I predict there will be little you can do about your current situation.

My one recommendation to anyone seeking generator advice is BUY A RV GENERATOR! A real one, with a low profile roof top air unit for air conditioning. You will be able to heat your sleeper either with the heat strip that comes within the air contitioning unit or may be able to use a ceramic type heater. You can have these units worked on at most RV repair facilities such as Camper World.

mcbride-
O/O-D unit-Team-6yrs
--What goes around comes around--
LEGAL NOTICE: The views and opinions expressed in this post are those held by the posting author and do not represent the views or opinions of Expediters Online.com, On Time Media, LLC, it's agents, subsidiaries, affiliates, advertisers or sponsors.