The New Scarlet Letter?

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
They have an interactive Google map that anyone can see, the who, what, and where for people that are permitted to own a handgun.

http://www.lohud.com/interactive/article/20121223/NEWS01/121221011

The map indicates the addresses of all pistol permit holders in Westchester and Rockland counties. Each dot represents an individual permit holder licensed to own a handgun — a pistol or revolver. The data does not include owners of long guns — rifles or shotguns — which can be purchased without a permit. Being included in this map does not mean the individual at a specific location owns a weapon, just that they are licensed to do so.

Data for all permit categories, unrestricted carry, premises, business, employment, target and hunting, is included, but permit information is not available on an individual basis.

To create the map, The Journal News submitted Freedom of Information requests for the names and addresses of all pistol permit holders in Westchester, Rockland and Putnam. By state law, the information is public record.

Putnam is still putting together its records and could not immediately provide any data. The map will be updated when that data is released.
Personally I would like to see an interactive map of the anti gun people with the same information. As a special feature they could post all information for the 'Journalists' and their family members, to include schools, bus routes, and recent photos of the family.

I'm not sure, but if one of those peoples homes are robbed, and someone is injured or killed because of the information posted..... well it wouldn't be the last person hurt if you know what I mean.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
They have an interactive Google map that anyone can see, the who, what, and where for people that are permitted to own a handgun.

http://www.lohud.com/interactive/article/20121223/NEWS01/121221011

Personally I would like to see an interactive map of the anti gun people with the same information. As a special feature they could post all information for the 'Journalists' and their family members, to include schools, bus routes, and recent photos of the family.

I'm not sure, but if one of those peoples homes are robbed, and someone is injured or killed because of the information posted..... well it wouldn't be the last person hurt if you know what I mean.

Lots of new gun owners, really there should be only blue dots all over North America imho.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That's nobody's business. It should be illegal to publish that information. Anal orifice newspapers.

bobwg

Expert Expediter
New York paper publishes names of gun owners with interactive map

Foxnews.com A local New York newspaper called the Journal published the names of gun owners along with an interactive map showing where they live in Westchester and Rockland Counties

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Irresponsible journalism at its finest.

Best comment by a reader of the newspaper:

"I'd rather have a gun owner as my neighbor then a journalist, one is far more responsible then the other."

Last edited:

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
That's nobody's business. It should be illegal to publish that information.
I'm afraid that's a bit of a wrong target IMHO - you must go earlier to find the correct one.

Advocating the abrogation of the Constitution (suppression of the freedom of the press) as the solution to another abrogation of the Constitution isn't the correct way to handle the matter.

The fundamental problem lies in the premise that State has a right to require a license for ownership and possession of a firearm - which it itself would seem to be an infringement of the right to bear arms.

At the point where one submits to the idea that the state does indeed possess the right to do this, it's fairly easy to make the case that the information regarding this falls within the realm of public information.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Re: New York paper publishes names of gun owners with interactive map

Foxnews.com A local New York newspaper called the Journal published the names of gun owners along with an interactive map showing where they live in Westchester and Rockland Counties
So you're posting saying that Fox is saying what I already posted in the OP?

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter

Do you think that people should put the 'Journalist's' info on the net? Maybe include where his wife works, and just about anything that could be dug up on them to include all of the people in the chain of command in the paper?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Do you think that people should put the 'Journalist's' info on the net? Maybe include where his wife works, and just about anything that could be dug up on them to include all of the people in the chain of command in the paper?

No I don't think we should stoop to their levels.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums mobile app

bobwg

Expert Expediter

So you're posting saying that Fox is saying what I already posted in the OP?

Yes i started a different thread before I read yours and one of the moderators moved this into your thread

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I agree. Two wrongs don't make a right. Journalists and publishers have a right to their personal privacy, same as anyone else.

I also think that, if the state requires a licensing permit, that while the case can very easily be made that such information falls under the category of public information, I still think it's a private matter between the state and the citizen. It's really no different than vehicle license plate registration information.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter

I what I think is that allowing the State to infringe on the right to possess and bear arms is an astoundingly bad idea ...

In Life, one often runs into unintended consequences, which flow from well-intentioned efforts on the part of statists and other assorted do-gooders ...

These people undoubtedly mean well ... but alas, the road to Hell is paved with good intentions ...

The essential fact of the matter remains: but for the existence of licensing, there would be nothing to publish in the first place ... no data, no info, no governmental records ... which are subject to being considered "public information" ...

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

If the law is properly written the state could not legally divulge that information to anyone. No first amendment issues since the state couldn't release the information. In the future I'll try to answer for those more blissful than I.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter

If the law is properly written the state could not legally divulge that information to anyone. No first amendment issues since the state couldn't release the information.
Yup.

Of course, I suspect that in the eyes of those who wrote the law, it is "properly written" ...

That right there ought tell one a little something about the advisability of getting into bed with such folks certainly where anything related to the 2A is concerned ... and probably many other things as well ...

In the future I'll try to answer for those more blissful than I.
No - in the future you should just be a little clearer in your phrasing - so it doesn't appear that you are advocating the suppression of those who are exercising their rights under one portion of the Constitution .... while at the same time in another thread you are bemoaning someone else violating some other portion of it ...

None of here are mind readers AFAIK ... we're relying on you to help us out.

Last edited:

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Over on another forum I'm a member of, one of the posters asked if health information could be made public in this way. The answer to that is "no". HIPAA laws make it illegal for the paper to dig for your health information, and any health-care provider that gave it to them would be subject to charges.

So, what's the difference? HIPAA became law so we, the public, can't learn easily who is and who is not an HIV carrier. AIDS is protected by the very same people who want to publicly embarrass you if you buy a handgun. AIDS is "sexy", guns are not. Any questions?

RLENT

Veteran Expediter

Just to clarify for accuracy: what was actually published was a listing of people who hold a NYS firearm (handgun/concealed carry) license - not a listing of "gun owners" ... although I'd guess that it's fairly likely that most who have a license might possibly also own a firearm ... or two :rolleyes:

This isn't anything new by the way - the same paper published this info back in 2008 or 2009 ...

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Just to clarify for accuracy: what was actually published was a listing of people who hold a NYS firearm (handgun/concealed carry) license - not a listing of "gun owners" ... although I'd guess that it's fairly likely that most who have a license might possibly also own a firearm ... or two :rolleyes:

This isn't anything new by the way - the same paper published this info back in 2008 or 2009 ...

It should not be public information. There should even be a "list" of people who choose to exercise their Rights.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter

I think if you should be required to have a license to keep and bear arms, then you should also be required to have a license to practice your religion, and to exercise free speech, and to print a newspaper, and to peaceably assemble, and to petition the government, and to not be forced to incriminate yourself, and to be free of unreasonable searches and seizures, and to breathe.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Over on another forum I'm a member of, one of the posters asked if health information could be made public in this way. The answer to that is "no". HIPAA laws make it illegal for the paper to dig for your health information, and any health-care provider that gave it to them would be subject to charges.

So, what's the difference? HIPAA became law so we, the public, can't learn easily who is and who is not an HIV carrier. AIDS is protected by the very same people who want to publicly embarrass you if you buy a handgun. AIDS is "sexy", guns are not. Any questions?

I haven't found anything that said hipaa was enacted to protect HIV patients. The timing looks right and maybe it was just can't find info to support that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums mobile app