The Netherlands To Abandon Multiculturalism

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
America likes to follow the lead set by European countries. I wonder if this will catch on here?

The Netherlands to Abandon Multiculturalism

This article from Gatestone is from 2011. Three years have passed and it would be interesting to study if or how these proposals were implemented and to what effect. The Netherlands is struggling, like most European nations, with a growing Muslim immigrant population not necessarily interested in assimilating smoothly with their new home country.

The issue of multiculturalism needs to be paid a great deal more attention. Nationhood should mean something real. The Dutch have every right to expect immigrants will assimilate. From my studied point of view, Islam is not compatible with Western civilization as the Dutch and many others are coming to grips with this reality.

Last edited:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Too much reading i was board by the tird pagraph
It is the very last line that I found most significant. "Although society changes, he says, it must not be "interchangeable with any other form of society."

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
From my studied point of view, Islam is not compatible with Western civilization as the Dutch and many others are coming to grips with this reality.

Its not so much Islam, although that was the main group mentioned in the article, but the failure or reluctance to assimilate. Until very recently the U.S. was considered a "melting pot". Most immigrants felt it necessary to learn the language and customs to survive, integrate and get ahead without totally giving up their heritage. Multiculturalism does the opposite. I suppose it is easier for politicians to pander to smaller, well defined groups.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
Muslim immigration is the point of contention for the Dutch. They don't have tens of thousands of Mexicans and aliens from Central America pouring over their border.

Last edited:

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
Our nation needs to have a long conversation about the unwise worship of too much multiculturalism and diversity. The United States was from its founding and has continued to be a predominantly Christian nation built upon Judeo-Christian principles. We can choose to retain that which unifies us as a nation or we can become something else. A nation not unified on basic core principles will not long stand. Nationhood is more than a defined geographic region.

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
The Dutch have every right to impose stricter requirements on immigrants.
The Scandinavian countries have been taken advantage by groups with specific agendas which don't include integration.*
They have most likely observed the mess that has taken place in the U.S. due to a misdirected embracement of multiculturalism. IMHO.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Its not so much Islam, although that was the main group mentioned in the article, but the failure or reluctance to assimilate. Until very recently the U.S. was considered a "melting pot". Most immigrants felt it necessary to learn the language and customs to survive, integrate and get ahead without totally giving up their heritage. Multiculturalism does the opposite. I suppose it is easier for politicians to pander to smaller, well defined groups.

That's what gets me about immigrants, to any country. They can still bring in parts of their culture but should be ready to change.

I don't know about other countries but Americans are some of the worst offenders of going somewhere, even just on a trip to another country and not trying something different or expecting it to be like home. How many people run through Amish country and eat at McDonald's instead of enjoying an Amish restaurant? Or never bother trying out alligator when they are in the south? If you travel overseas Americans will be at some westernized restaurant. We fail to realize that we are there and should be exploring and adapting to their culture. This applies to everywhere except Canada because their food comes in one flavor, maple.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The Democrats pander to the uneducated, lower socio-economic classes like these hordes of Central American peasants, making them dependant on their party and the govt for their livelihood. Result: a whole new group of voters to keep them in power. Why they pander to the Muslims the their extremist radicals is a mystery, since that religion isn't compatible with the principles of our constitution. Freedom of religion is one thing, but their expectation of communities to make accommodations that are incompatible with our norms is quite another. The Bottom line is this political pandering is balkanizing the country and destroying the societal pillars that made it great.