The Military

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
An oldie but a goodie..

The average age of the military man is 19 years. He is a short haired, tight-muscled kid who, under normal circumstances is considered by society as half man, half boy. Not yet dry behind the ears, not old enough to buy a beer, but old enough to die for his country. He never really cared much for work and he would rather wax his own car than wash his father's; but he has never collected unemployment either.

He's a recent High School graduate;
he was probably an average student,
pursued some form of sport activities, drives a ten year old jalopy,

and has a steady girlfriend
that either broke up with him when he left,
or swears to be waiting when he returns from half a world away.

He listens to rock and roll or hip-hop or rap or jazz or swing and 155mm howitzer.

He is 10 or 15 pounds lighter now
than when he was at home
because he is working or fighting
from before dawn to well after dusk.

He has trouble spelling,
thus letter writing is a pain for him,
but he can field strip a rifle in 30 seconds
and reassemble it in less time in the dark.

He can recite to you the nomenclature
of a machine gun or grenade launcher
and use either one effectively if he must.

He digs foxholes and latrines
and can apply first aid like a professional.

He can march until he is told to stop
or stop until he is told to march.

He obeys orders instantly and without hesitation,
but he is not without spirit or individual dignity.
He is self-sufficient.

He has two sets of fatigues:
he washes one and wears the other.

He keeps his canteens full and his feet dry.
he sometimes forgets to brush his teeth,
but never to clean his rifle.

He can cook his own meals, mend his own clothes,
and fix his own hurts.

If you're thirsty, he'll share his water with you;
if you are hungry, his food.

He'll even split his ammunition with you
in the midst of battle when you run low.

He has learned to use his hands like weapons
and weapons like they were his hands.

He can save your life - or take it,
because that is his job.

He will often do twice the work of a civilian ,
draw half the pay
and still find ironic humor in it all.

He has seen more suffering
and death then he should have
in his short lifetime.

He has stood atop mountains of dead bodies,
and helped to create them.

He has wept in public and in private,
for friends who have fallen in combat
and is unashamed.

He feels every note of the National Anthem vibrate through his body while at rigid attention,
while tempering the burning desire to
'square-away' those around him
who haven't bothered to stand,
remove their hat, or even stop talking.
In an odd twist, day in and day out,
far from home,
he defends their right to be disrespectful.

Just as did his Father, Grandfather,
and Great-grandfather,
he is paying the price for our freedom. Beardless or not, he is not a boy.

He is the American Fighting Man
that has kept this country free
for over 200 years.

He has asked nothing in return,
except our friendship and understanding.
Remember him, always,
for he has earned our respect
and admiration with his blood.
And now we even have women over there in danger,
doing their part in this tradition
of going to War when our nation calls us to do so.

As you go to bed tonight,
remember this shot..
A short lull, a little shade
and a picture of loved ones in their helmets

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Amen. We OWE our very freedom and lives to those who served. Keep an eye out over the next month or two, I will be giving EVERYONE in here a chance to participate in thanking a few of those who gave MORE than their share. I VERY good and VERY cool project is in the works. More on this to follow in the near future.

MentalGiant

Seasoned Expediter
People who has never been in the military or been to war in the military will never fully understand the burden that is layed upon soliders. Those words may reach some of the people and some of the people will just think that is what that solider is being paid to do. People join the military for many different reasons that is acceptable to their belief, for fiance reasons or had no clue to what they wanted to do with their lives after high school.

No matter what the reasoning was for them joining, they are fighting for us. They have gone through rigorous training to being soliders. The first months of training, you don't have much of a life, other than what the military dictates what your life should be at that moment. If you have the dedication, a strong mind and the physical strength to make it through the first part of training, you are on your way to become a soldier. A lot of people are able and willing to do so. The hard part is not the training, following commands, doing your duty that you were trained to do so. The hard part is when these soldiers have to go into a war zone, have the ability to harm another human being to defend themselves and our country. Think about it, actually have to kill someone is not a normal thing most were confronted with when we were growing up. It can mess up the way you react, think and live day by day. So, soldiers have changed in many ways when that first act of killing some one has happened. They can not take it back, they have to live with that fact and deal with it and hope they can and go back home to their families and live a normal life afterwards.

Many are able to cope with it, but there are some who can not. So, don't forget what these soldiers go through and deal with every day of their lives. Show respect to what they have exposed themselfs to, for your freedom.

fketchum

Seasoned Expediter
I had the privilege of working this summer on the National Guard Base in Grayling MI. I was involved in the combat training of the troops who were to be deployed to Iraq next year. For most of them this will be their second or third tour, I had contact with several hundred soldiers everyday. These men and woman were training from before dawn until late in the evening. They were sleeping in tents, It was raining and cold, the equipment they were issued everyday was bulky and very uncomfortable to wear with all of the other stuff they normally ware. They had every right to complain but not once did I hear any serious complaints. Everyday I was addressed as sir, it was yes sir, no sir, thank you sir, almost always with a smile. I was amazed at the professionalism of today's soldier. It truly is a brotherhood and the American service man really stands out above the rest. I was in from 80 to 86 and these guys made me wish I was still in.