The Magic Words....

X1_SRH

Expert Expediter
Thanks to all of you for your input with my other post - that info is now being used to put together a training program as I stated in the post "has a dispatcher ever said anything rude?". Well now I want to flip to the other side of the coin, and see who's doing just the right things.

I'm looking for situations that seemed like the worst deals in the whole world, but were turned around with just the right words from somebody at your company. (OR) I want to know how you want things to be handled like.... Instead of saying this - say this instead. Hypothetical examples are welcomed, all input is welcome.

Once again, please don't name names - but I wan't to know what has gone RIGHT in your communications with your respective companies. Here's your chance to sound off, and your comments are not falling on deaf ears. I appreciate all the participation. -X

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
Don't mean to rain on your parade, this seems redundant. I think we've all had these experiences. Do you have a new spin on an old problem?

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
X,
I think I know what you mean.. what was said to us that made us WANT to take that run...

Well, it's all about attitude. Even if it's a bad run, I always liked it if a dispatcher didnt' try to patronize me, or insult my intelligence.

Don't give me this "You're the only truck".. "Well, it's better than sitting there" etc...

For example, if I had a dispatcher call me up and tell me up front, "I have a run you're probably not gonna want, but I gotta ask!" I'm much more likely to help, because they're honest. I have taken those 'crap' runs, usually with a guarantee of being number one wherever I go next ,etc.... you can work it out when they need to cover a run.

Dreamer

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Scott, one thing I would like to see is this...
My driver got a call the other day asking if he'd like to go to Arizona. Of course he said yes. So the dispatcher told him he was working on it. Well, there was never a return call saying we were outbid. He spent a few hours waiting for a return call when he could've been heading back to the zone. In the end it worked out, but the thing that gets me is we aren't mindreaders! Just as you want us to call if things happens with our schedule, notify us if something falls through!
I don't know what to say about your question other than this...
I like the dispatchers who, when I call every few hours to check in, will actually look on the board to see if there's anything. The ones who say "nope...nothing yet. I'll call if I see something", aren't on the top of my list to help when they're in a jamb. But honestly, I'll help any of our dispatchers out cause I know they've never given me a reason not to... and kindness always comes back as a good run ;-)

T-hawk

DocRushing

Expert Expediter
As in every other business relationship, social relationship, marriage relationship -- as in EVERY relationship of ANY type -- basic common courtesy and good manners provide the starting point for any request or suggestion -- or indeed any order or direction or instruction.
If a dispatcher needs a favor from a driver, or if a driver needs a favor from a dispatcher, such a request should begin with the words "will you please ...?" or "would you mind ...?" or some other such -- a polite request rather than an angry demand.
Dispatchers often ask "can you ...?"
When a dispatcher starts a request for a favor by asking "can you ...?", sometimes I think, "yes, I can, and I probably will, but I would feel even better about doing so if you had asked 'will you please ...?' rather than 'can you ...?'"
From my earliest memories my parents and my teachers taught me to use good manners in all my contacts with others.
I learned that teaching, and I accepted it.
I've tried hard to use that principle myself, and I've tried hard to teach it to my sons and my students -- and, in several cases, my shipmates and my workmates and some others.
There's no acceptable substitute for basic common courtesy and good manners.
Best wishes to all,
Doc.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
one thing i have found along the way is some dispatcher know
how to get driver's to do what they want and other's don't
one that did when i worked at fedexcc was bill v also known as the
great one, he would say this run i need the is covered and it is bas
if you take care of this for me when i can i will make it up to you
some how and he would, or maybe ask well where do you want to layover
when you get done with the run
and most time's when he call and said i have a run you want it
all that matter was he need it covered, and you didn't know how much
or where it was going until you looked at the clink,
as he knew how to treat everyone and you could also tell who he had
train as they did thing's right

ATeam

Retired Expediter
>Once again, please don't name names - but I wan't to know
>what has gone RIGHT in your communications with your
>respective companies. Here's your chance to sound off, and
>your comments are not falling on deaf ears. I appreciate all
>the participation. -X

The best words we've heard from dispatch, and we've heard them several times, are "Stop if you have to."

Those words are said when we're driving in bad weather and notifying dispatch of the delays and/or hazards. We chose our carrier in large part because of it's safety emphasis and legal-running approach. When we hear "Stop if you have to.", we know we made a good choice.

Draco

Expert Expediter
I'd like to hear something postive from a dispatcher from time to time it'd be nice.

I also agree with TenneseeHawk about when I call and check in. Too many times I've been told to sit still and call back in X amount of time and if we don't have something we'll move ya then. Well I wait X amount of time and sometimes I give an extra 15min or so and call again only to be told the same thing. Until eventually the whole day is gone.

Also I would like for dispatchers to have understand (and I KNOW this is asking ALOT) that if I feel uncomfortable taking a load, for a very good reason (ex. bad weather), then I have a good reason for not wanting to move. Copping an attitude with me isn't gonna want me to take the load any more. After sliding my van on black ice I have LEARNED the hard way to trust my instincts.

One last thing I'd like for dispatchers not to think that EVERY load is a good paying load. I'm sorry but .50 a mile ISN'T a good paying load. Just be honest, I'm in this business to make money not spend more than what I make.

Also I don't like hearing don't stop for ANY reason. I mean come on, sometimes you just gotta stop. ;)

Now for the good:
I did have a great dispatcher when I worked for FedEx CC that was always honest about runs. If the load sucked she'd say hey it sucks but if ya take it I'll throw in an extra $50. Sometimes she'd even make it up on the other end by movin me ahead in line or sometimes she'd say I know you want to be home this weekend and I'll do my best to get you as close to home as I can. If she couldn't then she'd try to get me paid to go home. Now I'm not one that wants to be home every weekend, if I'm making $$ then I don't mind stayin out. But when I needed to be home it was nice to have some 'help' getting there.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
The best thing in my opinion is to have a dispatcher ride with someone for a week. And of course it goes the other way, have a driver spend some time with a dispatcher.
Almost a scary concept:)
Davekc

X1_SRH

Expert Expediter
Glen, I don't feel that anybody has rained on my parade. These are the kinds of things I'm looking for. (thanks participants). My new spin on an old problem is working to help lessen the problem. By identifying specific instances it helps to develop hypothetical "what if" scenarios for our training program. I really do appreciate all the input. - X

redbeard2001

Expert Expediter
I have a good relationship whith my dispatch. There have been times when they have called me and asked me to do a run when i have just come home after i have been out for a couple of weeks. It usually happens if he has nobody around in the area.They always seem to make it worth my while as they know money drives me.There have been times when i have been sitting called in to see how many trucks are sitting in the same zone and not get a reply that gets my Irish blood up.:+

Draco

Expert Expediter
>The best thing in my opinion is to have a dispatcher ride
>with someone for a week. And of course it goes the other
>way, have a driver spend some time with a dispatcher.
>Almost a scary concept:)
>Davekc

Davekc, FedExCC does that but it doesn't matter. As the dispatchers make sure that truck moves more and sits less (actually sitting only longer enough to sleep). Which isn't reality, I talked to drivers that will actually volunteer for this as they get twice the loads.

raceman

Veteran Expediter
Hey X, There are a lot of things they can do but understanding what it is like to be woke up at 2:00 a.m. after getting an hours sleep, they need to know that driver is not going answer with a chipper voice and therefore do not label them as a bad seed. I had that happen at the first place I ran for. I can tell you from my perspective when I talk to them as a fleet owner it is nice to hear them say hello to me by name and take a moment to ask how I am and just a word or two about the day in general. The folks that I talk to do that and help out no matter why I am calling and that is important. If I am calling dispatch it is usally because something is wrong and therefore I am already stressed and it is nice when they dont act like I am screwing up their day. So far the ones I work with do just that and that is great to have in anybody.They are for the most part pretty good to deal with. I was with a company before the one I am with now and they would actually argue and try not to help. That is never a good thing. Just making a little small talk or even thanking a driver for a short run or something like that is always nice.

RaceMan

---Why Hug a tree when you can sit on a Diesle---

NoProblem

Expert Expediter
My new spin on an old problem is working to help lessen the problem.

Scott,

If you are able too and want to REALLY see a noticable improvement in the relationships between drivers and dispatchers, there is one sure fire way to accomplish it - namely, every dispatcher should get paid the exact same way the driver gets paid - by the load - not by the hour.

I doubt very much that will ever happen but unless it does, there will always be dispatchers who will insult the intelligence of drivers by conning them into taking losing loads, same as there will always be drivers who will insult dispatchers because they are stuck in the un-enviable position of rejecting loads that were sweetly dispatched.

In short, I think if dispatchers were paid exclusively by the load, there would be a whole lot less losing loads given to drivers and quite possibly a whole lot less insensitivity overall.

As long as dispatchers continue to get paid by the hour, no matter how sweetly they ask you to expedite a load, no amount of professional courtesy will suffice for very long if the driver finds themselves running too many loads at their own expense - mean while, the dispatcher does not depend on your profit for his paycheck.

In closing: the title of this thread, "The Magic Words...." does, without a doubt have alot of merit in retaining drivers and in maintaining a good working relationship, but "magic words" are only window dressing to the real problem and a temporary fix that will only slow down, not halt the driver turn-over process, - money is the only real fix and the best way to accomplish more money to the drivers is for dispatchers to see what its like to personnaly have their paychecks depend on their driver's paychecks - magic words would no doubt be a "given" under this condition.

Just my .02

raceman

Veteran Expediter
NoProblem has said something very very very true. I never had that thought. NP I think that is just this side of dead on. Perfect idea. Hey X man lets see your thoughts on this. The more I think about that the more I like it. I think he is right. Sweetness would reach an all time high. What are the chances of any organization going so far outside of the box that they would do that? We need someone to test this idea out. Scott what about one dispatcher giving this a go. I bet productivity all the way around would go through the roof. May really increase the buddy system factor though. Had to put some poo somewhere on it.

RaceMan

---Why Hug a tree when you can sit on a Diesle---

NoProblem

Expert Expediter
Hey raceman!

I made the suggestion - but in reality, I guess it could be viewed as a challenge.

I mean, lets cut to the chase here. Its money that talks and its BS that walks - to be blunt, "magic words" are nothing more than BS - sugar coating on a bitter load.

The problem with the "dispatcher paid by the load" idea is this: the company would most likely find that their profit margin drops significantly - if drivers make more, the company will make less than they are already making because there are too many drivers out there running too many losing loads at their own expense while the company cashes in each and every time.

If dispatchers are allowed to start spending the company's money on the driver by giving extra $$ to make a (normally) losing load profitable, it probably won't take too long for the company to stop that idea in its tracks. Its probably why dispatchers are not paid by the load to start with.

I assume most small companies already operate this way, but I would challenge any of the larger companies to take this route. I'd be suprised if it ever did.

Who knows, maybe the bulk of the drivers in expediting will eventually (or already does?) consist of sightseers and those partially (or fully) retired and only a small portion doing this to try to make a good living.

Oh well, its late, I'm in my own bed tonight - time to put it to good use!

Catch ya later!

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Dave,

Years ago we had a coordinator from FedexCC ride with us for a week. By the end of the week, at the very minimum, she was ready to throw the QualComm out the window! She said it really opened her eyes to what we go through out here. She still states that it was the best training she ever had. She is now much more understanding of driver's needs...lol She is still with FedExCC and we have heard she is still a great coordinator! All dispatchers should ride along for at least a week....

I might add one comical experience we had with a dispatcher at the company we lease with now...lol This example is exactly why as drivers it seems to us that most dispatchers don't seem to have a clue as to what goes on out here.

We were delivering in NYC by Central Park on one Monday morning and upon arriving realized we didn't have the correct address or directions (imagine that). We telephoned our company and informed them we needed correct directions immediately as we had already been warned to move by NYC's finest and we couldnt keep driving around NYC in rush hour traffic with a 40' truck. She told us "sit tight and pull over some place to wait...you know like a mall or church parking lot..." We explained, we were in NYC and there is no place to pull over and sit tight... lol We told her if we didn't get the directions within minutes we were going to head to the nearest parking lot....which happened to be in NJ! Needless to say, we got correct local directions. LOL

mcbride-
--What goes around comes around--