The Expediting Opportunity; An Overview

ATeam

Retired Expediter
People who are looking into the expediting opportunity for the first time can become quickly overwhelmed by the information presented on the EO web site, in the EO Open Forum, from recruiters, from drivers and from other sources.

I thought an outline might help and offer one here.

Kindly note that this is a work in progress. Changes will be made as time goes on.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Good outline Phil. I like the progression!

Dale

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I guess this is a pet peeve of mine when it comes to promoting other sites of other members - why we should go off site for information to help newbies?

Isn't a good post that can be locked and edited by the OP a better solution?

Brisco

Expert Expediter
I guess this is a pet peeve of mine when it comes to promoting other sites of other members - why we should go off site for information to help newbies?

Isn't a good post that can be locked and edited by the OP a better solution?

This I just do not get...........

I'm a member of about a dozen "Trucking Related" boards. Of that dozen or so, I am very active on 3-4 of 'em. I even Moderate on a board where friends I've made over the last 6-7-8 years have all congregated at. That board is the largest board dedicated to the industry they all serve in. (Just as EO is for all the "Expeditors") I'm also good friends with the owner of the largest and best board there is online that is dedicated towards the LTL/HOTSHOT Hauling industry.

There's also 2-3 other "Expedite" boards out there that are active. (not naming names) None out there are as big as EO is though, and I've been a little unhappy with the "world" board here recently cause they changed it up to where you have to register to read more than say, 3-4 new posts each day. I'm going to register though, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

What strikes me wrong with the opinion above is, "Why"???

All these boards are open boards. Anybody can come here and read most of the stuff without even being a member. Are we, I mean "ya'll" (short for you all), all not in the same industry seeking advice on how to do your job better? Why is it not right to share information with each other between boards???

I would fully understand that if Lawrence here had a "Fee" that members had to pay to participate, and clearly had in his TOU that information gathered and submitted here was deemed "proprietary" information regarding the industry, and that cross promotions between boards would not be allowed. But, there is no such rules, and that is why the "openness" within this board exists. Sure, Lawrence has his advertisers that would probably like to keep all members here on this one board "here", but the majority of the advertisers here are also on the other "expedite" boards also. So, IMO, the more boards there are for the advertisers, the more members there are seeking the information and opportunities they provide, and the merrier they are probably.

I was on the largest HS Board there was for over 6 years. Besides the 2 board owners, I was the longest active member there at one time. 1 of the owners made some bad administration choices for the board, chose a seriously inept member to moderate it who tried this exact same scenario above(keep what's on the board "on the board") and attempted to keep every single "topic" on topic. A lot of Moderation and Administrative changes were made that were detrimental to the board, and you know what happened??? That board is down to like 2-3 active members posting amongst each other maybe 3-4 times a week. I see the board owner on there regularly nowadays trying get it back to where it was, but the damage is done and the members are gone along with new people seeking information about the HS industry being quite active on other boards.

So...Greg....Sorry for the rant. While I agree with you that EO is a great(I mean the BEST!!!:D) online community board for the Expediters to share information with, I don't agree that we should become inclusive and not share with each other other online venues, even discussion boards, when it comes to Expediting related issues, information, knowledge, and so forth. In other words, we all(discussion boards) can get along if when we try. Know what I mean.

Last edited:

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
This I just do not get...........

I'm a member of about a dozen "Trucking Related" boards. Of that dozen or so, I am very active on 3-4 of 'em. I even Moderate on a board where friends I've made over the last 6-7-8 years have all congregated at. That board is the largest board dedicated to the industry they all serve in. (Just as EO is for all the "Expeditors") I'm also good friends with the owner of the largest and best board there is online that is dedicated towards the LTL/HOTSHOT Hauling industry.

There's also 2-3 other "Expedite" boards out there that are active. (not naming names) None out there are as big as EO is though, and I've been a little unhappy with the "world" board here recently cause they changed it up to where you have to register to read more than say, 3-4 new posts each day. I'm going to register though, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

What strikes me wrong with the opinion above is, "Why"???

All these boards are open boards. Anybody can come here and read most of the stuff without even being a member. Are we, I mean "ya'll" (short for you all), all not in the same industry seeking advice on how to do your job better? Why is it not right to share information with each other between boards???

I would fully understand that if Lawrence here had a "Fee" that members had to pay to participate, and clearly had in his TOU that information gathered and submitted here was deemed "proprietary" information regarding the industry, and that cross promotions between boards would not be allowed. But, there is no such rules, and that is why the "openness" within this board exists. Sure, Lawrence has his advertisers that would probably like to keep all members here on this one board "here", but the majority of the advertisers here are also on the other "expedite" boards also. So, IMO, the more boards there are for the advertisers, the more members there are seeking the information and opportunities they provide, and the merrier they are probably.

I was on the largest HS Board there was for over 6 years. Besides the 2 board owners, I was the longest active member there at one time. 1 of the owners made some bad administration choices for the board, chose a seriously inept member to moderate it who tried this exact same scenario above(keep what's on the board "on the board") and attempted to keep every single "topic" on topic. A lot of Moderation and Administrative changes were made that were detrimental to the board, and you know what happened??? That board is down to like 2-3 active members posting amongst each other maybe 3-4 times a week. I see the board owner on there regularly nowadays trying get it back to where it was, but the damage is done and the members are gone along with new people seeking information about the HS industry being quite active on other boards.

So...Greg....Sorry for the rant. While I agree with you that EO is a great(I mean the BEST!!!:D) online community board for the Expediters to share information with, I don't agree that we should become inclusive and not share with each other other online venues, even discussion boards, when it comes to Expediting related issues, information, knowledge, and so forth. In other words, we all(discussion boards) can get along if when we try. Know what I mean.

Sometimes his lips move, but only butter comes out.

Great start Phil. I believe it will be useful to new and old.

Your best bet, hire a vet! Please.

Last edited:

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
I don't think they are promoting anything other than help. I think it is a well done outline trying to help people get started up and actually helps keep some of the repeat traffic down. Yes there are a couple of people who have tried to promote things, and yes I agree that if they want to explore business opportunities other than what we're doing than call Lawrence and pay for some advertising. I don't know of one successful business anywhere in the world that makes it w/o advertising.

Anyway I like the list.:rolleyes:

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
I don't care what forums anyone belongs to, as long as they don't post links to a competitor.

That being said, Phil's link is not to a competing board, it is his personal blog which is NOT CONNECTED TO or HOSTED BY any other forum.

Dale

greg334

Veteran Expediter

Brisco, I agree with you on this but it doesn't have anything to do with inclusion of content and goes beyond what it appears to be. Sharing is one point but closing off discussion is another and that's where some miss about what the complaint is. A bit of history should be shared among many who don't know or understand what could be the issue, I won't be the one this time to share it.

With that said, I won't be making any more suggestions or comments for that matter which many of you would like to see me do anyway.

TeamCozumel

Seasoned Expediter
I don't care what forums anyone belongs to, as long as they don't post links to a competitor.

That being said, Phil's link is not to a competing board, it is his personal blog which is NOT CONNECTED TO or HOSTED BY any other forum.

Dale

It's so funny to see that you posted with your Droid. I am a frequent forum visitor of two Droid sites. One gets most of my attention, the other I found because of a link from the first. What's significant about this is the information found in the link was much more useful and helpful than the forum I spend more time in and they are competing forums. They cross link one another frequently because the information is useful.

Maybe the expediting industry is different and needs to be exclusive (or inclusive?). But if someone at another expediting site had better information about what type of batteries to use in our truck wouldn't that benefit all of us? After all, are we not here to help each other out?