The best expediting company

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
while there have been many good comments on what makes the best carrier the comment of you dont know till you sign on is the truest. you can due all the research you want but still not be happy after you sign on. we would all like to hope that after all our due diligence we will make the rite choice and it does happen. even the best company out there will have things we dont like. we have to decide whether the good out weighs the bad and can we adapt. the best carrier is truly one that can make you feel at home and one that works for you no matter what company policies they have. we have several good examples of this mentality here on EO. forum members that are quite happy at carriers that others can find nothing good to say about. it is all up to the individual. we have davekc @ panther where people dont like their % policy. bob & linda @ fedex where the flat pay and possible preferential dispatch are concerns to many. greg @ landstar ? where they have their policy about where you stop or park when under load. the just is they are all happy, or they seem to be, where they are cause they have decided that this is home and it works for them.

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
greg @ landstar ? where they have their policy about where you stop or park when under load.

They do?

I only been told that I am not allowed to park on the side of any road for any reason at any time because of the chance of an accident - this includes the asinine practice of parking on an off ramp or on ramp.

Beside all that, the usefulness of this thread ended at post number two

Bring back Moot!

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
greg @ landstar ? where they have their policy about where you stop or park when under load.

They do?

I only been told that I am not allowed to park on the side of any road for any reason at any time because of the chance of an accident - this includes the asinine practice of parking on an off ramp or on ramp.

Bring back Moot!

Asinine? I don't make it a habit to part on entrance/exit ramps, for the same reason you state. But if there's no parking, and people are falling asleep, what do you propose they do?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well T-hawk, parking at the base or a little ways up from the freeway on an off ramp is just asinine at the top or near the top could be a better choice. Just the same as parking at the foot or near the foot of the on-ramp.

Either way there is an accident waiting to happen.

Bring back Moot

Last edited:

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Well T-hawk, parking at the base or a little ways up from the freeway on an off ramp is just asinine at the top or near the top could be a better choice. Just the same as parking at the foot or near the foot of the on-ramp.

Either way there is an accident waiting to happen.

Bring back Moot

That's not what you said tho. You said parking on an entrance/exit ramp is asinine. So now you're saying parking at the top of the hill isn't asinine?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
It doesn't matter what I said, I can't park on the off ramp and won't.

I was trying to clarify my statement but I will just say parking on the off ramps or on ramps is asinine and the driver should be ticketed if it poses a danger to others.

Bring back Moot

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
i had always been told by landstar contractors that even stopping to do a driver change or answer the qc or phone was not allowed on a entrance or exit ramp. by the way of the two the entrance ramp is the safest of the two, speeds are generally slower. parking for the night we will not do. there is always somewhere else to be had.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Bring back Moot
Even when he comes back, he won't come back. The day his ban ends, he sets out on his annual trek to the Dead Zone, Paul Bunyan land, where he will have no electronic communications of any kind. He'll be hunting or fishing or kayaking or whatever else a bunch of men do when they are alone together in the wilderness for too long a time. After that he'll be back, either fully fit and full of vigor, or a really, really changed man.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Even when he comes back, he won't come back. The day his ban ends, he sets out on his annual trek to the Dead Zone, Paul Bunyan land, where he will have no electronic communications of any kind. He'll be hunting or fishing or kayaking or whatever else a bunch of men do when they are alone together in the wilderness for too long a time. After that he'll be back, either fully fit and full of vigor, or a really, really changed man.

I don't know if I'll ever be able to look at my sacred chinchilla pelt the same way again.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
It doesn't matter what I said, I can't park on the off ramp and won't.

I was trying to clarify my statement but I will just say parking on the off ramps or on ramps is asinine and the driver should be ticketed if it poses a danger to others.

Bring back Moot

Ok... but you never answered my question. Where do they park?

And here's another one. What's more dangerous? Trucks parked on the side of the ramps, or driving while tired?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

It's not too hard for S/Ts, there are grocery stores everywhere - it's a major problem for the T/Ts [and the main reason I will never drive one again.]

And here's another one. What's more dangerous? Trucks parked on the side of the ramps, or driving while tired?

That there are trucks parked on the ramps is your answer: it's less dangerous than risking falling asleep at the wheel. But it's a danger that only affects the driver, so it's nowhere near the top of anyone else's priority list.
Doesn't look like it ever will be, either. :(

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter

It's not too hard for S/Ts, there are grocery stores everywhere - it's a major problem for the T/Ts [and the main reason I will never drive one again.]

That there are trucks parked on the ramps is your answer: it's less dangerous than risking falling asleep at the wheel. But it's a danger that only affects the driver, so it's nowhere near the top of anyone else's priority list.
Doesn't look like it ever will be, either. :(

Sorry, Cheri. I haven't seen any accidents from being parked on the side of the ramp; tho I'm sure there have been some. Also, how many grocery stores have you seen on I-80 in PA? Not too many, I'm sure.

Greg... question is to you, sir.

Critter Truckin

Expert Expediter
...and here's your answer.

Your freight is not THAT important for me to lose my life. ST, TT, CV, SP, LMNOP, NBC, ABC, FBI, DOT, & OOIDA can tell me otherwise and not "allow" whatever the crap they feel like "allowing," if I'm that tired, me arse is hitting the rack at the foot of the entrance ramp.

As far as "allowing" it goes, I'll gladly take whatever ticket is involved, pay the fine, watch it go on my CSA, and have a smile on my face when I tell Mr. Safety Man to shove his policy where only inmates dare go.

Other than that... sweet dreams.

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
Isn't this a largely hypothetical argument though? How many times a year do you realistically pull over to sleep on an exit ramp before your 10 hours of service are up if you've legitamately been following them?

I am not a daily coffee drinker so if I do get tired, a coffee or any energy drink wakes me up. Failing that, eating also keeps you alert and awake. Kknowing how most of you pinch every peny, I can't see any of you who are legitamately following the rules pull over because your tired before your 10 hours are up.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter

They do?

Bring back Moot!

When I was with Landstar 03-05 the fastest way to get fired was let someone see you stopped on an off ramp or shoulder.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter

Can he come back? I thought when you were banned you were gone forever.