That facebook thingie

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Facebook appears to be the place to post all your moments in time. Many families post their kids, where they went on vacation, what their house looks like inside and outside and everyones name is there to view.

I have posted there and some pics.

QUESTION: Is FB a security risk to families????????????????????

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
for me FB is just a waste of time....lately I've deleted some friends, not for anything they did...just trying to keep it for my kids contact only...so if I deleted you, don't think their is an underlying reason....I just don't do FB...

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Facebook appears to be the place to post all your moments in time. Many families post their kids, where they went on vacation, what their house looks like inside and outside and everyones name is there to view.

I have posted there and some pics.

QUESTION: Is FB a security risk to families????????????????????

Of course it is, if they're not paying attention.
Example: I went to a wonderful place with my daughter's fam in Fl - an intractive place [Imaginarium? Looks like the whole bldg's upside down] with really cool stuff. One that we liked a lot was a glass walled room, with a long rectangular table inside. A channel running the length of the table holds a metal ball, and one person sits at each end with a headband wired to measure the brain waves produced by relaxation [theta?]. The object is to push the ball towards the other person with those brainwaves - meaning the more relaxed person wins. Both parties brainwaves are shown on a wall screen, visible to the people waiting in line.
I was waiting [with a camera] as my daughter and her husband competed. He totally kicked butt at it, and how long do you think it was before I'd posted the photo of his nearly flat brainwaves on facebook?
About 30 seconds. ;)
Definitely a risk to some families, lol.

BeecherKen

Active Expediter
only if there not careful, watch what they post, dont set security filters active. also bare in mind on the internet you cant always be sure who your talking to.

pandora2112

Seasoned Expediter
Lol! @ Cheri! Facebook can be extremely risky if your not careful...people will post basically where they live then post when they're not there! Or the illegal activities they partake in, etc...it's amazing what you could learn about someone without their knowledge bc of their posts.

Pagan Trucker Girl - Blessed Be

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
As the saying goes: you can't fix stupid. If people want to show off their tattoos, body jewelry, recreational drug use, and seriously wild parties to potential future employers [& inlaws!], that's their right.
If they are dumb enough to advertise where they live, what valuables they possess [new 656 in plasma tv!] and when they're going on a 2 week cruise, that's their right, too.
Some people learn the hard [and expensive] way.
I only worry about the kids who don't know enough to be careful, because that is scary.

pandora2112

Seasoned Expediter
Why are tattoos lumped in with drugs etc? I'm **** proud of mine and if they need to be covered for work so be it but denying me a job just bc I have them is discrimination.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
P, I have a tattoo that's more than 30 years old, so it's not me who needs convincing - just pointing out how some folks see it, and they tend to be the ones doing the hiring.

pandora2112

Seasoned Expediter
True...went to a group interview and they had pulled up people's FB pages...that's why my info is not public nor is my profile pic ever my face...keep 'em guessing!