That Cracker Barrel thingie.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Chuck Jeter After reading about your treatment of Joe Koblenzer, my family and our company have decided that we will no longer be having our Saturday morning breakfast and our weekly lunch meetings at your establishment. While I am sure that your corporation will not miss the few thousand dollars we spend in your restaurants each year, we can not in good conscience continue to frequent an establishment that probably throws away more food on a daily basis than this man gave to the needy. As a small business owner and as a father I appreciate the need for rules. However, I believe that common sense should be exercised when enforcing rules. I understand that Mr. Koblenzer was disciplined for providing a to-go coffee and other such minor violations. Unfortunately, Cracker Barrel executives are more concerned about saving 40 cents of coffee than repeat business. Moreover, I am sure that Cracker Barrel gave away a lot of coffee on its way to becoming a corporate giant. Do you think the woman he provided the coffee is likely to return to your establishment? Chastising an employee, veteran or not, for merely providing a corn muffin to someone in need or for providing a cup a coffee to a patron, who I am sure Cracker Barrel had profited from, is beyond ridiculous. You are going to save money on a few coffees and a few pieces of cornbread, and you are only losing the few thousand a year my family and my business spend in your restaurant. Given the current situation, I am sure your executives are proud of themselves. Way to go Cracker Barrel keep up the good work.

The above statement was the sentiment for Joe Koblenzer, who was fired for giving a homeless person a muffin....yes company policy forbids it, but Joe was heavenly right and the Cracker Barrel corporation is earthly wrong, imho. CB will never live this one down.

Cracker Barrel Fires 73-Year-Old Veteran Who Gave Food To 'Needy' Man

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Apparently he was warned five times. I understand the company's position because if you allow it for one, do you then allow it for every other employee? Whether he is a veteran or not has little to do with it. They may have been better off doing something on a different scale that would benefit a larger group of people in need.

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
Title of the article:
"Cracker Barrel Fires 73-Year-Old Veteran Who Gave Food
To 'Needy' Man"

A good example of the media using sensationalism to create a controversy to increase the number of "clicks" on their story.

A correct headline could have read:

Cracker Barrel Employee Let Go After His 5th Infraction of Giving Food Away.

73 years of age is irrelevant but plays to emotion.
Being a veteran is irrelevant but plays even more to emotion.
The neediness of the man has not been established at all and is irrelevant.

The media likes to pray on Americas misguided emotions and the sheeple oblige by attacking the evil companies and popularizing an inflammatory article. :(