TEAMS What kind of miles are you getting?

shadow7663

Expert Expediter
I would like to hear from some other teams on the avg miles your getting lately running a straight truck, and which carrier your with. If you wish to pm the info that would be great.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I don't know that a PM is necessary for your type of question. Mainly because there are numerous things to look at. What kind of straight, DH miles, total miles and the actual rate.
One could run a lot of miles and yet still be broke.
Gross numbers mean little unless you have numbers to everything else.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
I just ran into an A. Blair driver who told me that he averages between 4500-6000 miles per week, at $.82/all miles flat rate. Not sure if he was smart enough to BS me.

He also told me that he has chains for his steer tires.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I just ran into an A. Blair driver who told me that he averages between 4500-6000 miles per week, at $.82/all miles flat rate. Not sure if he was smart enough to BS me.

He also told me that he has chains for his steer tires.

I thought everyone had chains for their steer tires?:rolleyes:
I hope you were neighborly enough to give him a quart of blinker fluid.

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
what I cant stand about drivers no one can ever get a straight answer from anyone just a lie lol

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
can you elaborate a little more on the a blair figures. was this a truck or van. i know you said all mi., were they smart enough to know that all mi. meant dh also. if it was a sprinter did they own it or was it company owned. he has quite a few co. owned sprinters. not sure if he still has co. owned trucks. they do run alot of miles but they run cheap. they tend to work harder not smarter.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
I thought everyone had chains for their steer tires?:rolleyes:
I hope you were neighborly enough to give him a quart of blinker fluid.

I got a midget that hangs from my mirror that cleans my glass on the inside in the winter,,in the summer i tie him to the wipers.just kidding..........................:rolleyes:

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
Well Shadow, we went into service in this truck Wed at 5pm. Got a load Thursday morning from Grand Haven MI to Tulleytown PA. (775) Dropped in Tulleytown at 9am Friday morning. Loaded Friday night at 9 pm in Trenten NJ going to Miami FL. (1296) so we ran a total of 2071 loaded miles from Wednesday to Sunday. unloaded miles was 169.

The thing with miles is it is not a set amount. Some weeks a truck does really good and other weeks it does poorly. The week before Thanksgiving we ran 5800 loaded miles a few weeks before that we only ran 1900 miles. Sometimes the freight is moving or you just happen to land in all the right spost and other weeks it seems no matter what you do that load is just out of reach. :eek:

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I could care less how many miles we drive a week. The less miles we drive a week and the more money we make is the perfect scenario.

Less miles equals less wear and tear on the truck, more money equals a happy checking/ saving account.

I know I get funny looks when people ask me how many miles a week we get as it is a figure I do not know. Ask me how much income a week I want and I know that figure. It is not about the miles it is about the income and out here we need a hobby as we have time to pursue it.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I could care less how many miles we drive a week. The less miles we drive a week and the more money we make is the perfect scenario.

Less miles equals less wear and tear on the truck, more money equals a happy checking/ saving account.

I know I get funny looks when people ask me how many miles a week we get as it is a figure I do not know. Ask me how much income a week I want and I know that figure. It is not about the miles it is about the income and out here we need a hobby as we have time to pursue it.

Ditto! We did just six runs in October and it was one of the most lucrative months we had all year. While I can look it up, I cannot say off the top of my head how many miles we ran because that number does not matter as much as the other numbers we consider when accepting and declining loads.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
there are times you can be required to put your chains on your steer tires California Oregon Washington

That is news to me. I recently chained up for the first time ever in California. Checking this CALTRANS document, I saw no requirement to chain the steer tires ever.

Checking further into this, to make sure Diane and I are carrying all chains on the truck that we may ever need, I saw no requirement to chain steer tires in Oregon or Washington either.

Oregon Chain Diagram

Washington Chain Diagram

Links to state chain law info

You have been on the road much longer than me. Perhaps the rules have changed since you formed the belief that steer tire chains are required in the states you mentioned?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

Ditto as well Linda..
Down here in CV land carriers just don't get it...they offer tons of miles and you can drive your butt off and make fair money....that is if one is stupid enough to buy this hog wash line...they just can't or won't acknowledge the added cost of the added miles into the equation...

I may sit an extra day now...but I actually make more $$$ in doing so..and that was my goal...

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
we have been looking at it that way for a long time. as i said in this post, work smarter not harder. many dont understand that sometimes sitting an extra day for a decent rate is worth it.

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The number of miles is not the issue as many have stated. You need a good rate AND enough miles at that rate. $10 per mile is GREAT, but not if the run is only 10 miles and ties up the truck for a day. You must know what you need to earn to remain in the black and work with that.

As to what kind of miles we get, we get "statute" miles only! :p