Team out of Eastern NC

nightshift

Expert Expediter
Just wondering what the opportunities are for a team out of the coast of NC. Currently we are company drivers OTR but we are curious about expediting and straight trucks.

I'm also wondering how the freight is opening up throughtout the rest of the country. In the latest addition of the Expediter mag it talked about relying less on the auto industry for freight, what has that done to load availability and the areas straight trucks are running in?

Thanks.
Don't know where I'm going, but there's no sense being late.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
There is alot of freight out of the Carolinas. How much and where other freight is will depend on what carrier you are driving for. The 2nd quarter is usually pretty busy. Keep reading the posts and archives on EO and you should be able to make a well informed decision.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

ATeam

Retired Expediter
If you are a married-couple team with a good record and work ethic, demand for your driving services in expediting will be very high. Fleet owners and carriers will be keen to bring you on board. If you jump into expediting, don't jump at the first opportunity you see. Talk to a bunch of carriers and fleet owners (if you go the fleet owner route) before making your decision. You can make a lot of money and have a lot of fun in expediting if you make the right choices. Take your time. Do your research. You'll be glad you did.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Just a quick Hello

Nighshift is my "better" half :)
We've looked at Expediting off an on since before I decided to drive. He's been driving for 3 1/2 years and we've been a team for about 1 1/2 years. We've only been with one company and they've treated us excellently, but they are not a "team" company. What appeals to me about expediting is a smaller vehicle that doesn't bend in the middle! ;) I don't mind waiting, and I don't mind running hard.

....now I'm off to read the forum.

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
I love the Carolinas...the weather is generally better, the roads are some of the best I have ever seen and I almost always get a load going someplace far.I like far.Far is good.

nightshift

Expert Expediter
We will be at the Mid America Truck Show. We are in a strange situation, we are working the truck show for our company. Like my better half said, we like the company and they have treated us great but they just aren't an team company. I guess the truth of it is that we are basically the expediters for them, if it's critical load or has to be there yesterday, we get it since there are the two of us. The reason we keep looking at expediting is that if I'm gonna run this way I'd rather do it in a straight truck where I can get to a few more places when we do have to sit and I think we can get paid better for it, but I'm not sure. We like our home time but we aren't afraid to run, we normally stay out 3 weeks and then we are home 3 maybe 4 days and out again. We are earning pretty good, avg about 4000 miles per week at 43 1/2 cpm and no truck expenses. With that said maybe I can get some opinions of whether or not we can do better with the same sort of schedule while being on the 60/40 split most fleet owners offer and paying the truck expenses.

Thanks.

Don't know where I'm going, but there's no sense being late.