Tall Van Drivers

rolling force

Expert Expediter
I am looking at Sprinters because they're roomy. But they're not very wide as with most cargo vans. I'm going to have a bunk installed I was wondering what it is going to be like sleeping on a short bed for the next few years. I'm 6'2" & I like to lie flat on my back and realized I won't be able to do that in a Sprinter as it is only 68" wide inside. I will have to have my knees bent all the time. somehow that bothers me.

I know many people like to sleep curled on their side so this wouldn't be an issue for them. But if you're a taller driver who likes to sleep stretched out & has to deal with this situation I was wondering if it impairs your sleep. Or did you get used to it quickly?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

t

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Rolling Force,

Yes, I got 'used' to it, but it was never 100% comfortable... Inevitably, I ended up sleeping on my side with my knees pulled up, or on my stomach, with my feet sticking up along the wall towards the ceiling.

Another option is to put a long fold up bed along the side, ala the Bentz B10 and B30 conversions. Much more comfortable, but you give up the ability to sleep under load.

Kind of a toss up for a tall guy... do you guarantee a place to sleep by putting it crossways, or opt for the comfort of a long bed...

http://www.expeditersonline.com/cgi...rucking_Show/MATS_2002&image=eo8.jpg&img=&tt=

Dreamer

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Another option may be the aerocells. They are a foot wider than a conventional van. There are several posts and pictures of them on here.
Check them out
Davekc

merkurfan

Expert Expediter
have it both ways. Build your bunk so it can be placed sideways for sleeping under load, or the long way for sleeping when empty :)

Nothing worse than having a side mounted bunk and getting a load on friday that delivers on monday..

My Ford is 6 feet wide and I sleep pretty comfortable in it. The size is not the problem, I need a thicker mattress :)

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Check out a company called "The Mattress Factory". I've seen their name in several cities, but my experience was in Cleveland. We were in a hotel there on a Sunday and saw their ad in the paper, went there, ordered a pair of custom made, sized to fit our van, mattresses at about $85 each. about 6-8" thick dense foam that has not broken down in several years. Our order was ready for pick-up the next day about noon. This place was located at the southwest edge of the State Street exit on I480.

merkurfan

Expert Expediter
I've heard of them before, they are a national chain I think. However, your right, most stores make the matresses in house. Never thought of asking them to make me one. Thanks for the tip.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm looking a little bit at the Aerocell. It's at http://www.unicell.com/bodies/aerocell.html on the web. It's up to 90" wide inside depending on what you do with the walls. It's also up to 16' long as well. You could build a D unit type sleeper in it and still carry a full van load if you went with a heavy enough chassis. That would put you over 10k and into logs but it would be a heck of a unit.

Leo
truck 4958

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

merkurfan

Expert Expediter
you can't have a large sleeper in a regular cargo van? Huh?? I have a 78 inch sleeper and can haul 2 skids. I stole the idea on how to do it from the photos of another board members van, I think it was terryandrene. They ran team so they used the extra space for a large bunk. I have a 30 inch bunk along the rear of my sleeper leaving roughly 4 feet of open space. At the front of the sleeper area I have my fridge behind the drivers seat and behind the pasangers seat I have from room for something else. Might go overboard and install a sink and a two burner RV stove. I already have propane for the heater mounted under the van. I can also stand up in it due to a 2 foot high top. The celing is 6.5 feet from the floor. Above the cab the old roof remains so I mounted my TV and microwave up there. I also made a large shelf above the cargo area behind the sleeper so I have a 5X5 storage area above the cargo area. My rear doors are original height so the space above them is useless for cargo. I am also going to install 8 to 10 inch deep shelfs around the outside edge of the sleeper above the cargo area.

To haul two skids I move the bunk to the front of the sleeper and place it above the fridge where I can still use it, open the doors in the bulkhead and in they go.

I am working on getting photos of it. I picked up my digital camera last time I was home only to realize my new laptop does not have a serial port :( Gotta stop at a computer store for a usb adapter.

rolling force

Expert Expediter
Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

I called Bentz and asked them to send info on their Sprinter bunks.

As for the Aerocell, there is only one option if you want to keep it under 10000 GVW, the bubbly SRW. It's taller and wider than the Sprinter but not as long. With a sleeper it will only accomodate 2 skids.

I am bewitched by the Sprinter because I can walk around in the cockpit. If I could sleep standing up like a horse it would be perfect.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
My point about using the 17' Aerocell on a C4500 chassis is you can put a bulkhead in that allows 2 skids, or 4 if they're turned sideways or the smaller skids, while also allowing a sleeper similar to this on the other side of the bulkhead and not have to compromise or adjust based on loads.

Leo
truck 4958

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Not to be a stickler for detail, but I believe it's 10,001# GVWR logs; 10,000 or less no log, unless carrying a reportable quantity of Hazmat.

Terry

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
>Not to be a stickler for detail, but I believe it's 10,001#
>GVWR logs; 10,000 or less no log, unless carrying a
>reportable quantity of Hazmat.
>
>Terry

Yeah, what he said ^^^ An Aerocell like I've been looking at would require a logbook but keeping one now and never knowing anything different it's not a big deal to me. The major increase in comfort it would allow as well as the higher load capacity that could increase number and pay of jobs are a larger positive than the negative of logs. My .02, YMMV.

Leo
truck 4958

Dark_0ne

Expert Expediter
Not to mention that the 4500 is near dock height so if you had a couple of ramps with you.....

Could be a real money maker.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yes, it wouldn't take too much to get it to dock height. I don't know that I'd let them put the dock plate up but they could certainly set skids into it that way. Like every other unit on the road it is a compromise vehicle. It just depends on which way one wants to compromise and what items are most important. I do think in vans the Aerocell variants are tough to beat though.

Leo
truck 4958