Taking Time Off

JohnO

Veteran Expediter
From 1999 to 2001 I took time off and decided to do some long distance backpacking a passion I’ve had since childhood. I did 600+ miles on the Appalachian Trail from Delaware Water Gap, PA to Catawba, VA with some side trip added on.

From May 24, 2000 to June 27, 2000 I hiked 400 miles of the International Appalachian Trail < http://www.internationalat.org/Pages/index> from Cape Gaspe, Quebec, Canada to Fort Fairfield, Maine, USA.

September 2001 I backpacked through sections of Bridger-Teton National Park, Grand Teton National Park, Yellowstone National Park and Caribou-Targhee National Forest

Here’s link to my journal John's Ultralight Backpacking Page. Not sure how long link will be available as I changed provider.

Since this is a trucking forum I’ll relate some positive encounters with trucks during one of these adventures. Nothing mind-boggling just seemed today was a good day to do some story telling. So grab a stick and toast a marshmallow or two at the campfire.

During the 2000 hike on the International Appalachian Trail I was passed by hundreds of lumber trucks at road crossings also traveling through the small villages dotting the countryside.

Kerosene smell was ever present when these lumber trucks passed, usually the driver would toot his air horn and we would wave back. A real friendly bunch of people they are, in villages we would meet some of them as they replenished food at local convenience stores. They wanted to hear about our adventure saying they had been following us since Cape Gaspe. Most didn’t speak English and we didn’t speak French so I would use my English to French glossary in an attempt to communicate. There would be a lot of scratching of the heads on both sides trying to figure out how to get our thoughts translated into the proper tongue. We both had a good laugh more than once in our effort to communicate.

When we got to the US & Canadian border it was going to mark the end of seeing most of our newly acquired friends as the route would take us far away from truck traffic. I missed not smelling the kerosene, hearing the horns and trying to talk with them.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Very impressive web site about your travels. It is clear you put a lot of careful work into it. I am certain that many, many backpackers and hikers will benefit from the work you did. Great things happen when people live and share their dreams.

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
John you have always been a true inspiration.
When the new site was launched I discovered posts dating way back with your name just to realize you are old school..
Postscript I wanna be just like you starting today.
Live hard breath free and love like you will never love again.
I got that from you and I thank you...
Mike

JohnO

Veteran Expediter
What an interesting journal! Any plans to do another major hike in the future?

Thanks, glad you enjoyed I had a blast hiking the trails.

My ultimate goal is to complete the Triple Crown

This link gives some info on Triple Crown

ALDHAWest

That should keep me busy for many years to come.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
WOW!! Now that would be an awesome accomplishment.
When we lived in Albuquerque we would made day hikes up in the Sandia's. I loved it, but can't imagine doing more than a day trip. :eek: I'm a wimp. LOL