tag axle

cliffn

Expert Expediter
My wife and I have a 2000 Century with 22 ft box, reefer, generator and lift gate. With all that weight we need to increase payload by adding a tag axle. Where do I start looking and who can do this for me? After adding a tag can I get rid of my dolly legs and use the tag to stabilize when I am running single axle with lighter loads (when unloading)? Thanks for any help and/or suggestions.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
i would leave the landing gear on as it will help air bags as a forklifts goes in and out

2 places to get tag axle put on and at a fair price
is tsi in north jackson oh 800 388 3850 ask for bill moore
or harris truck and body in newport news va 757 874 0155 ask for donnie harris

SHARP327

Veteran Expediter
WELL I'M NOT AN EXPERT ON THIS SUBJECT I'M ALSO LEARNING AS I GO! BUT FROM WHAT I'VE GATHERED YOU'LL WANT TO KEEP YOUR LANDING GEAR TO REDUCE THE WEAR AND TEAR ON YOUR TRUCK! BUT THE THING YOU MAY WANT TO LEARN MORE ABOUT IS SHOULD YOU GET A PULLER OR PUSHER TAG AXLE AND I MAY EVEN BE WORDING THAT WRONG! IT'S JUST THAT I RECENTLY HEARD THAT A PUSHER WILL REDUCE THE WEIGHT ON YOUR STEERS AND THAT A PULLER REDUCES THE WEIGHT ON YOUR DRIVE AXLE! HEY WEAVE! DID I GET THAT RIGHT? BE CAREFUL OUT THERE! LATER SHARP327 :)

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I think you did get that right Sharp, although I am no expert on tags either as I have never owned nor had the need for one with the places I have ran at. If I were to put one on my truck it would be the "pusher" ahead of the drive axle type, but the need has yet to arise. Always keep your dolly legs when adding a tag, just a smart thing to do, even if you end up with a 40k lb rear capacity, sometimes places will still ask you to use them on your straight truck.
-Weave-

ONESTACK

Expert Expediter
I have a tag onder my 2000 FL80 and it was put on at a place in Lansing,Mi.The name of the place is Aoto Truck.Call them at 800-372-8322 and ask for Dave.Very honest and a pro.job installing it.:7

GUNSLINGER

Expert Expediter
Another good place to have this kind of work done is Eddies Truck Repair in Knoxville,Tn. He has lots of experience with all kins of expediter work and is very reasonable when it comes to price. (865)546-2445.

cliffn

Expert Expediter
I really appreciate all the good information. Can someone give me a ballpark figure on prices so I'll have some idea of what to expect before making some phone calls? I am certainly open to finding a used unit if they are available. Thanks. :)