Sylectus shippers posting !!

idtrans

Expert Expediter
I'm seeing more and more Sylectus companies using the run of the mill load boards lately. My only guess is to get the freight moved cheaper. I ran a load this weekend for a Sylectus carrier that posted on standard load board I didn't get hurt on rate $3 per mile for 400 miles that took me to my front door of the house "well 3 miles away LOL". My point being I have no clue why they would post on other boards when there are many trucks always available on SYlectus system ?

And I'm seeing more and more daily so I guess it's to try to shop a larger market for better rates. I'm not complaining it's cheaper to p-ay $80 for 2 load boards than $150 for 1.

And to clarify what loads i'm seeing it's large semi loads and I have viewed smaller loads straight truck size posted as LTL "makes me think the shippers aren't in as big a hurry to save money".

Now of course expediting will never die because there will always be the need for the item they needed 2 weeks ago ! or the items they forgot to ship or the items that unique and need a very personal touch.

Ok later.

idtrans

Expert Expediter
Also before anyone asks I won't name companies at all they are large firms and it isn't just 1 it's several I've seen posting.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
I wanted to used Sylectus service but was told I need to be a carrier first. They have nothing for the fleet owner that is leased to a carrier.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
First, there are no shippers posting freight on there that I know of, just carriers and brokers, and some of those folks post their truckload and LTL on the other boards like getloaded, etc. That's nothing new. I've been seeing that for years.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I wanted to used Sylectus service but was told I need to be a carrier first. They have nothing for the fleet owner that is leased to a carrier.

Of course they don't

They are there to service the shipment and not the truck.

idtrans

Expert Expediter
Yes Charles what I mean by shippers on Sylectus are carriers. Now on the other boards there are more and more companies daily popping up doing their own logistics now. I am thinking brokers have gotten their foot in the door to do direct shipping under the companies names. Example I hauled a load a couple months ago for a pipe making company with factories all over the usa they have cut out brokers and broker out their own loads now at the same or lower rates than a broker "needless to say no shipping of their items anymore" but yes that is what I meant "SYLECTUS CARRIERS ON THE NORMAL BOARDS SHIPPING EXPEDITED FREIGHT AS STANDARD FREIGHT"

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
We post a number of loads on boards. Sylectus is a strong expedite carrier base, but not enough truckload capacity. As well these accounts are more general freight and do not command the expedite rate that an expedite carrier would be looking for. Kind of have to pick the right market for the right commodity.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If the retail customer knows your expedite company might have tractor trailer equipment, they might pass along a T/L or LTL load offer to you. From there it gets posted on the load board in an attempt to cover it for them. Most likely the retail customer is offering it to other sources as well in an attempt to get the load covered at the best price - and it doesn't necessarily have to be an expedite load. Nothing new here, just more of the market forces at work by means of these load boards that continue to force rates to lower levels.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
In our case it is more a case of type of freight. A lot of freight is standard truckload, not expedite.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
A lot of people think the name of the carrier is what determines the type of freight.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Ive got money that says if there are carriers posting true expedite loads on general freight load boards, the practice will be short lived...along with the carrier, if their not very careful. If expedite freight was the same as general freight, there would be no need for the entire expedite industry. Urgency of the shipment, special care, along with other factors will determine how it gets shipped.

Yet another "the sky is falling" post. This one, because somebody saw an expedite carrier's name on a non-expedite load board. :rolleyes:

My opinion, of course :)

Last edited:

idtrans

Expert Expediter
No this is posted after several months of watching and calling on the loads. And Load 1 I haven't seen on the general boards. Many shippers are shopping around now for best rate many could care less about quality this explains all the many new scum bags entering driving trucks now. Like you don't see the quality of many of the new hires in the industry.

idtrans

Expert Expediter
No not always but when they put urgent load in the notes that makes me think hmm bargain shopping for expeditors.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There are a lot of expedite companies that are marketing themselves now as one-stop transportation sources. They not only offer standard expedite services, but also air charter, air freight - domestic and international, truckload, LTL, flatbed, and maybe even carrier pigeon. Of course they only have their own expedite trucks and perhaps tractor trailer units to handle T/L, but they broker the other services to "partners" - that's where the load boards come into play in a lot of instances.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
A lot of people think the name of the carrier is what determines the type of freight.

Which is why I didn't put something in the company name that indicated expedite or fast or any of those kinds of words. Most of what we do is expedite, but I wanted to keep things open for eventually expanding into other kinds of freight. I think a lot of folks think companies are either expedite or truckload and not both.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
No not always but when they put urgent load in the notes that makes me think hmm bargain shopping for expeditors.

I came across a few of those last week on one of the LTL boards. They had a specific pickup time and delivery time and still wanted an LTL rate. I'm not giving people ribeye and charging them for a hot dog.

Reactions: Oblation

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Which is why I didn't put something in the company name that indicated expedite or fast or any of those kinds of words. Most of what we do is expedite, but I wanted to keep things open for eventually expanding into other kinds of freight. I think a lot of folks think companies are either expedite or truckload and not both.

That's why I called my company On Call Logistics - I wanted to be known as a logistics company; not just an expedite or general truckload carrier - logistics is an umbrella that covers everything!

idtrans

Expert Expediter
Exactly Charles you see what I'm saying ? They are pawning Expedited as LTL freight. I have landed a few off the boards that paid good in the past but Sylectus does usually have better rates than the standard boards.

idtrans

Expert Expediter
That's why I called my company On Call Logistics - I wanted to be known as a logistics company; not just an expedite or general truckload carrier - logistics is an umbrella that covers everything!

Keep up the good work you will do fine hard work pays off. You know this industry is up and down. Heck the oil field supply runs I was doing often have slowed down allot because so many other people stuck their fingers into that nook. But luckily I hammered out some hefty $ while it was hot and stashed the cash. Now companies like Ace hauling from houston, United vision logistics, and LTI have cut the rates to nothing for oil field support. Heck I got $3.50 per mile to haul a load of flour other day 400 miles no touch and no lumpers you know what I said let's do it LOL.

If the freight pays good I could care less what goes in the box "as long as legal" I won't do distribution centers or lumper loads but heck all else is game in my van. I'm pulling my 53' van to cold to flatbed LOL.

Point of this thread is there are companies trying to pawn off expedited freight as ltl and standard loads but give you a short deadline to run it and do not wanna pay expedited rates.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Sure thats what they want to do.

My point is that even if they do get somebody to run an expedited load cheap, its a matter of time until they put one of those loads on a truck and the driver takes a hot load home for the weekend and delivers it a day late.

You, me and everybody else have heard the comment "if they wanted it there tuesday, they should be really happy if I get it there wednesday". Thats the way general freight works. The carriers who do agree to take an expedite load are generally going to charge an expedite rate. They may catch somebody off-guard and get a cheap rate, but it will catch up sooner or later and they'll lose a customer.

There is a reason why expedite carriers sign on expedite drivers. Its because we understand the importance of the load and why the shipper is paying through the nose to get a couple skids cross country asap. This business is not here because we run cheap, never has been. The business is here because we get the freight moved asap and the shippers know it. If there was a way around it, the expedite industry would have disappeared years ago.

There's no surprise to see 'em shopping rates. Thats what people do. In the end the truly expedite freight will be on an expedite truck at expedite rates.

Last edited: