Supplement during lean times

Heffard

Seasoned Expediter
I am new to expediting. Since July 12, I have had 5 loads. I work for 2 brokers, and their other trucks have had about the same.
I was thinking of registering for work at a temp agency and try to sign up for day labor whereever I may be.
(A couple of years ago, I did work at a day labor company for about 3 days in Memphis while my wife was there recovering from surgery. Worked out well.)
Has anyone tried to do this? Only problem I see-if the temp agency gives me an assignment, and in the middle of that assignment, I got a load. The agency may not use me after that would happen.
Both broker predict that September should be good.

Thanks for any advice.

bryanvolsfan

Seasoned Expediter
Why not work for multiple carriers? I do work for 3 diffrent carriers, One is a major carrier and the other two are small family run companies. I pretty much have loads whenever I want one, although there are times when I do sit but not very often. When one sends me on a load, as soon as I drop I call all 3 and give them my location and the first to call gets my van.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Don't know of anyone who has done it, but if you can make it work, why not?
I'm wondering though, why you are concerned that "the agency might not use you again if you got a load" after accepting an assignment - would you drop one commitment, to snag another? Why not just treat an agency job the same as a load: informing the others of when & where you'll be available?
It sounds like too many 'balls in the air' for me, but I'm not that great at juggling, lol.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Don't know of anyone who has done it, but if you can make it work, why not?
I'm wondering though, why you are concerned that "the agency might not use you again if you got a load" after accepting an assignment - would you drop one commitment, to snag another? Why not just treat an agency job the same as a load: informing the others of when & where you'll be available?
It sounds like too many 'balls in the air' for me, but I'm not that great at juggling, lol.

Is your lack of juggling talent one of the reasons you expedite? LOL :p

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Is your lack of juggling talent one of the reasons you expedite? LOL :p

Of course it is - what else can I do, when running away to join the circus is not an option?
[I actually tried learning to juggle once, but have a pretty crummy sense of rhythm, I guess - good thing the beanbags were soft, since they kept hitting my nose whenever I looked up to see where they were] :D

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
Why not work for multiple carriers? I do work for 3 diffrent carriers, One is a major carrier and the other two are small family run companies. I pretty much have loads whenever I want one, although there are times when I do sit but not very often. When one sends me on a load, as soon as I drop I call all 3 and give them my location and the first to call gets my van.

More and more people are running for multiple carriers these days. Progressive even has insurance now specifically for this. Perhaps it is the wave of the future..

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
More and more people are running for multiple carriers these days. Progressive even has insurance now specifically for this. Perhaps it is the wave of the future..

It would be an interesting trend. Wonder what it would do to rates if there were NO leased trucks in expediting?

sheperd7

Seasoned Expediter
I am new to expediting. Since July 12, I have had 5 loads. I work for 2 brokers, and their other trucks have had about the same.
I was thinking of registering for work at a temp agency and try to sign up for day labor whereever I may be.
(A couple of years ago, I did work at a day labor company for about 3 days in Memphis while my wife was there recovering from surgery. Worked out well.)
Has anyone tried to do this? Only problem I see-if the temp agency gives me an assignment, and in the middle of that assignment, I got a load. The agency may not use me after that would happen.
Both broker predict that September should be good.

Thanks for any advice.

This why it is so hard for newbies Who are the best expediting companys to work for. Who are the two brokers you work for and what is the differance between working for a broker and the expediteing company. Xiggi That's what I was getting to in that reply to getting started post Please help on this one

shadow7663

Expert Expediter
I actually have another business selling new & used parts on E-bay. It is a full legal LLC and I do extremely well at it! Most months my sales are over 10K. The wife does all the shipping from home everyday and when I am sitting idle in the truck I do my listings while waiting on other loads.

It took a long time to build up our customer base but now its to profitable to stop doing it. In fact My parts biz allowed me to pay cash for my expedite truck and start this biz.

E-bay can be a great thing if you can find your niche in a market. Just like expediting it takes alot of hard work and determination.