Super Single Tires

bruchar

Expert Expediter
Anyone out there have super singles on your straight truck? We have a class 8 and are curious about any difference in wet and or winter driving? Are you happy with them? Our truck is heavy and just curious about what we can expect with wear and driving conditions. Thank you.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I have never seen them on a straight truck. Usually just on tankers.

Davekc

GUNSLINGER

Expert Expediter
You will very seldom see a "super single" on anything but a fuel hauler. The main reason they were designed was to save weight so they could haul a few gallons more on each load generally for more short haul.

bruchar

Expert Expediter
We have them on our Volvo 780 straight truck. Never had them before and were just curious if anyone else had experience with them. Thanks for the input anyway.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Months ago, we met an expediting team on the road that had super singles on the rears. May it have been you? This was in the parking lot at the Hilton Hotel in Reno, NV. We were on our way in to check in. The visit was brief because the team was on their way out to pick up a load.

This was a FedEx White Glove team in a Volvo straight truck, reefer, tandem axles, Interlift lift gate, tractor stretched to fit D-unit box, Volvo integrated sleeper. While we did not discuss the ride the tires themselves provided, the team expressed high satisfaction with the ride the truck gave them.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
I have had the opportunity to talk with two different tractor trailer drivers and here was there response. One said he did not care for them was from Quebec traction in snow and rain poor and no increase in mpg as promised. The other one was on a one month old CFC those bright red well kept fleet with the little smiley face guy hidding behind CTC with the wording caution blind spot on the mud flap. The driver indicated to me that if they did not put him back into a tractor with 8 drive tires he was quitting, after 5,000 miles he had enough the truck likes to slide in the rain as the duals were much more effective in holding a straight line in poor weather conditions.

Another point he brought up is the duals were brought into the market place for saftey issues when they first came out and traction was one of them. So here they go reinventing something that really was never broke, thus according to the only two drivers I have spoken with.

T

bryan

Veteran Expediter
Hi
I second Broompilot response.Running from London On to Lancaster PA Thursday night in heavy snow the trucks with single tires were having a hard time.Everytime they got out of the tracks of other trucks the snow would pull them towards the median.