Super Single Pos's Con's on Expediter Single axle

Fedex2238d

Seasoned Expediter
Hello, Its getting close to time to replace the rear rubber on my Truck. Ive seen and herd so much good things about supersingles that i want to see what fellow expediter are saying about them all info will be very helpful thanx Michael Huyck 2238D FXSCS

bruchar

Expert Expediter
RE: Super Single Pos's Con's on Expediter Single a

Michael, we have had super singles about a year now on our dr unit. They seem to run cooler in the summer months, ran ok in the snow last winter. Prepare yourself on price though..Michelin X-One will run @1000.00 a piece including rim. Best of luck.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

I have heard super singles aren't legal on a single rear axle and if that is incorrect I still wouldn't run them. With duals in a blowout you still have some control to get to the side of the road and if empty can perhaps limp to a service center rather than paying double for roadside repair. On a tandem axle truck I think they'd be a good addition. You'd also gain some payload capacity that way.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Fedex2238d

Seasoned Expediter

the fix to a blow out is paying extra to have the noflat type that way u can still proccedd to a repair facillity it may cost more but ive gotten almost 150K off the tires on my truck now that were rated 85K tire so beats me thanx for the replys

Jayman

Expert Expediter

Does the super single give you a better ride? Not sure I understand the advantage(s) for this since they seem to cost much more than 2 regular tires.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

You get a better ride and save between 300-400 pounds per axle as well so you can carry more cargo weight and when empty are moving much less unsprung weight. You also get better handling because you aren't forced to follow the grooves of the duals, at least so they say. The cost of rubber only is about equal. It's having to buy the new aluminum wheels the first time around that skyrockets the price. If one has all aluminum wheels then selling the takeoffs would offset a large part of the new wheel cost.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

How about snow? I always thought that a narrow tire performed better in snow than wide tires. The rule I learned was wide for mud, narrow for snow. Are the chains on the auto chain systems long enough to work on the wider tires? Do they hydroplane more? I need to learn everything there is to know and I am already over 50 and will run out of time soon. WHEW! It is so hard to try to learn everything about everything. Layoutshooter

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator

We have also started getting quotes on replacing our tires with wide based radial tires which are different then the super singles. The super singles are a 12 inch wheel and the wide base radials are a 14 inch wheel. The super singles you cannot get in a radial tire. The wide base tire is set up so if you have a blow out the wheel will fall on the tire tread. We also believe that our pusher axle will catch us and keep us from tipping so far over. The way our truck is set up with the pusher axle we cannot get the automatic chains and wonder with the wide tires if we might gain a little clearance and be able to get automatic chains. Right now our best quote is to have our tires and wheels replaced in Oregon. By Speedco's quote the price is only 200. more then to replace our tires. That is with Michelins and us trading in our tires and wheels.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter

I have never expierenced a blow out or flat except a Steer on the road. But this is just a caution if you do.

I have been told by a few expierenced drivers. DO NOT MOVE AFTER A REAR BLOW OUT, unless it is to get your vehicle out of harms way. You will most likely damage the one good rear and will now face replacing two instead of one so the road side repair is much cheaper than replacing both.

Now if you are empty which one hardly ever blows out than you might want to chance it. Road side is not cheap I agree, but its cheaper than replacing both when one limps in.

Next time you see one limping in listen in on the CB and you will hear the same message I am posting. Pull over and call road side no sense in replacing both. Thus its usually company drivers who do the limping not O/O.