Super single at 400k

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Just hit the 400k mark on our super singles, and still good tread life left just a little battle scarred. It's partner on the other side made it to 312k when it was felled by a road hazzard that opened a 10" gash in the sidewall.
Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1337885520739.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1337885520739.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 73

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
400k, very impressive! Is this on a single axle truck? Would have it been practical when the other tire failed at 312k to buy two new tires and save the good 312k tire for a spare? Just curious.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Same here we had 360,000 miles on our wide base single on the drive axle and started seeing a little odd wear. We had the tire rotated on the wheel, the tire store broke the bead and caused a bubble on the side wall.

We were also very sad to have that happen to our tires as we really wanted to see how far they could go.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Longevity is both an advantage and issue with super singles (wide-based singles). They are said to last a long time and offer other benefits but to fully realize those benefits you need to run the tire through its useful life to recover the up-front cost. The longer any tire is on the road, the greater its chances of being killed off by a road hazard, accident or other such event.

Time is both your friend and enemy with these tires. It's the same as the truck itself. The longer you run them, the closer you get to recovering the purchase price; but also, the longer you run them, the greater the chances are that a negative event will negate the investment.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A road hazard, accident, or other such event can happen with any tire, or part. Not a reason to go cheap.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Brought this thread back, as today we removed the tire from the truck. It made it to the 470,000 mile mark, but a broken belt finally finished it off.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums mobile app

Last edited:

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
Brought this thread back, as today we removed the tire from the truck. It made it to the 470,000 mile mark, but a broken belt finally finished it off.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums mobile app

470K is pretty impressive. Did any of you super single runners notice a mileage improvement? As far as the price variance, I shopped around and paid Southern Tire of El Paso $1900 with tax and mounted after core trades for 4 new Yokohama TY517MC2's (rolling resistance 102) and got 299K out of last set. I venture to say super singles may be a bit less in the long run, even before factoring any fuel savings. Any one have any zero offset super single aluminum wheels for cheap?

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Call Flying J truck sales. They were going to trade me 4 ss tires and rims for my 8 tires and wheels( 4 alum/4 steel).
Used for used.
$500 out the door including labor.
It's easier on them to have some trucks on the lot with 8 tires. Their fleet runs on all SS.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Very impressive mileage Doggie Daddy... We have the wide base singles on our lift axle and we are rotating them with our drives.