Super Cool Load

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
One of the great things about this business is the varied freight that we get to haul. Sometimes it is even SUPER COOL!!

We hauled a load on Monday that allowed us to touch future history and play a very very small part in shaping it.

We picked up a load at the National Lab in Los Alamos, NM, and took it to the Jet Propulsion Lab in Pasadena, CA. It was not heavy, not reefer, not guarded, not much more than a bump and run.

What is SOOO cool? It was a part of the next Mars rover!! It will be launched in Oct, 2011. It will arrive on Mars in May of 2012.

This part of the Rover was built in France and uses lasers to determine what minerals are in rocks.

The Rover is the largest yet and on of the engineers told me that this package is the largest, heaviest man made object ever attempted to be landed on another planet.

This business is just SO COOL!! To get to talk with these people, ask questions, get real (not media) answers to questions is priceless. To see the excitement in their eyes is wonderful.

Man, too bad we did not get that run all the way to Mars, can you imagine what THAT would pay? Even at only $1.70 for all miles, a retirement run for sure!!

Scottrucks

Seasoned Expediter
A very cool load for sure...
Don't you just hate after thoughts, could of, should of, would of...
Can we assume you will start carrying a "brag book" for autographs/stories
etc for the next cool load?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
A very cool load for sure...
Don't you just hate after thoughts, could of, should of, would of...
Can we assume you will start carrying a "brag book" for autographs/stories
etc for the next cool load?

That would be a good idea, might have to think about that.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Is this a Martian Rover or an IRT Probe?

marvin.gif

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
K-9.gif

K9 Rover. Get it? Rover.
Oh, well, I guess you hadda be there.

straigth_jacket_ejecting_bazooka_mm_k9.jpg

Layout shooter. Get it? Layout shooter.
Tough crowd.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
ya better hope that part works when it arrives on mars. you know where the finger wil point if it doesn't!:p

moose

Veteran Expediter
and it will be assemble at ...
some 10 Months ago i took a load of aluminum parts to that same place ,all the way from N.C .
they did not tell me what it was for ,but ,some of the white dressed IT's almost cry to see it arrived . and getting a loaded trailer into that 'no dock' in JPL is no picnic either .

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
and it will be assemble at ...
some 10 Months ago i took a load of aluminum parts to that same place ,all the way from N.C .
they did not tell me what it was for ,but ,some of the white dressed IT's almost cry to see it arrived . and getting a loaded trailer into that 'no dock' in JPL is no picnic either .

It will be assembled there at JPL. You are right, that dock is no fun even for a straight truck. Far easier than yours though. They did not even use that dock (even though I had already pulled up to it) They brought a fork lift with a basket, loaded into that and the walked with it over to the assembly point.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That's cool. About 3 years ago I took a 2 gallon bottle of some liquid that's part of the heat shielding for the space shuttle. They told me that 2 gal. was valued about $350k. Not as cool as what you had but still sort of neat. It sure didn't look like much in that 22' box either.

moose

Veteran Expediter
Not wanting to hijack your post ,but on the same space ,...
last week Israel launch the "ofec 9" (Horizon 9) , from it's launch pad in 'Palmachim' .which is a mach difficult launch ,since the sea is to the west . because of that ,its 1st system check was over the US ,before heading to Iran .
it's have being reported way before the launch ,that this spy satellite ,is the most advanced ever to be placed into orbit .
after 8 hours in space ,in a news conference in TelAviv , the officer in charge of the space program said that it 1st mission over the western coast of the US have being successful ,and that this thing can see through sands storms .clouds ,and everything else ,almost in real time ! ,
the first question from the media was :
' did it see through "Bar Refaeli's" outfit ? '

(an Israeli top model living in L.A)

Google Image Result for http://bp3.blogger.com/_7nuNXqqoInI/SFvMyvzMmsI/AAAAAAAAA-4/ow-Cguvl1ak/s400/bar-refaeli-8.png

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
One of the great things about this business is the varied freight that we get to haul. Sometimes it is even SUPER COOL!!

We hauled a load on Monday that allowed us to touch future history and play a very very small part in shaping it.

We picked up a load at the National Lab in Los Alamos, NM, and took it to the Jet Propulsion Lab in Pasadena, CA. It was not heavy, not reefer, not guarded, not much more than a bump and run.

What is SOOO cool? It was a part of the next Mars rover!! It will be launched in Oct, 2011. It will arrive on Mars in May of 2012.

This part of the Rover was built in France and uses lasers to determine what minerals are in rocks.

The Rover is the largest yet and on of the engineers told me that this package is the largest, heaviest man made object ever attempted to be landed on another planet.

This business is just SO COOL!! To get to talk with these people, ask questions, get real (not media) answers to questions is priceless. To see the excitement in their eyes is wonderful.

Man, too bad we did not get that run all the way to Mars, can you imagine what THAT would pay? Even at only $1.70 for all miles, a retirement run for sure!!

We have had two loads for this project.
The navigation system and the heat shield used for re-entry.
at both locations where we picked up we got a mini tour of the facility. That was worth the price of admission so to speak.
It is a cool perk that we really enjoy as we RV around the country.:D

ATeam

Retired Expediter
One of the great things about this business is the varied freight that we get to haul. Sometimes it is even SUPER COOL!!...

...This business is just SO COOL!! To get to talk with these people, ask questions, get real (not media) answers to questions is priceless. To see the excitement in their eyes is wonderful.

Very well said, and very true!

ATeam

Retired Expediter
It is safe to discuss what are we hauling?

I believe you will find that White Glove contractors are very discrete about what they haul and the names of their shippers and consignees. But every once in a while, customers come along who can do nothing other than broadcast what they are up to and want you to tell the whole world.

They give you plant tours and details that are not available to the general public but that they very much want the public to know. This seems to happen most often in the space industry.

It happened to Diane and me at the Kennedy Space Center in Florida and we are proud to have once had on our truck items that are now in Earth orbit on the International Space Station.

When such things happen, it is great fun telling the whole world because we so seldom get to share details about the really-cool freight we haul and the really-cool places the freight takes us.

Last edited: