Suggestions regarding a cargo van !!!

mike1753

Seasoned Expediter
I am a team co-driver on a straight truck with the O/O and interested in obtaining an extended cargo van as a solo driver O/O & starting on a shoe string budget. Any suggestions, especially re a gas Ford or GM extended cargo van.

Last edited:

AutonomyRex

Seasoned Expediter
I have researched both, and I'd go with the GMC/CHEVY. Longer warranty,, longer wheel base, and 6 more inches of cargo space.
Plus some options for Ford are included with a Chevy. You can compare them side by side on a GMC site.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Have you read back at least two years on this forum, expediting is no place to start on a shoestring budget
aside from that alot of people here seem to like the Ford E350

jrcarroll

Expert Expediter
Have you read back at least two years on this forum, expediting is no place to start on a shoestring budget
aside from that alot of people here seem to like the Ford E350

Except that Chevy/gmc have the wheel base extended along with the van. This gives a better ride. I've driven both chevy & ford.

I'll agree on the part about no place to start out on a shoestring budget.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I am a team co-driver on a straight truck with the O/O and interested in obtaining an extended cargo van as a solo
driver O/O & starting on a shoe string budget. Any suggestions, especially re a gas Ford or GM extended cargo van.
Yep. Make sure your shoestring budget includes paying cash for the van, and having five grand in the bank before you accept your first load.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
It still amazes me how a person figures they can start a business and be self employed and be a success on a shoe string...even to the point of only having enough cash to pay for the drug screen at orientation....but then again, one mans shoe string is can be another mans rope....

stamp11127

Seasoned Expediter
The more questions you ask the more reasons you will have in order to abandon the idea of starting on a shoe string budget. Read up on experiences others have had and what the costs have been, not only for the repairs but the lost revenue while being repaired. Especially check out TJP's ongoing adventure:

http://www.expeditersonline.com/for...omething-newbies-think-about-tjps-trials.html

Put up what number's you want to start with and the forum members will let you know the pro's and con's of them and steer you in the right direction.

Keep on asking questions...

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The very best way to do this starting on a shoestring is to keep doing what you are doing until you have plenty of money for both strings, the shoes, the socks, new half soles and new insoles. At that point begin thinking about getting into the business. IOW, if the word shoestring is in your vocabulary then expediting definitely needs to be out of your vocabulary. Lots of good advice above.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The very best way to do this starting on a shoestring is to keep doing what you are doing until you have plenty of money for both strings, the shoes, the socks, new half soles and new insoles.

He needs to have a belt also! :eek:

ronvais

Seasoned Expediter
It is not impossible. I started with no money and a 2001 e350 that I traded for a 1998 mazda mpv straight up. The company had a fuel card so that helped a lot but you need gas to get to the shipper. Try to get the expenses such as drug test/decals/insurance deducted from paycheck. Don't splurge on mcdonalds....or anything else that you don't need right away. Don;t be too picky on loads but watch out for what town you end up in cause deadheading eats money.Good luck....gotta be optimistic...

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
When times were better I was one of those that bought a new van every 3 years, I just replaced my 03 GMC with a 95 Chevy, We operate on a shoestring,BUT, we have enought set aside to replace the van if it should get totaled, we watch every penny. We won't use a fuel card from our carrier since they have fees attatched,our bank card has reward points,that we turn in to get gift cards, for fuel,food,wnd whatever else can be used to move the van.I started in 97 with enough. Cash to last about 3 months without a paycheck,otherwise - don't think I would have lasted this long. Watch your pennys and your dollors will take care of themselves! Oh and I've always had GM vans,never drove a ford. But that might be changing when the Transit hits the US market.

johnf

Seasoned Expediter
Buy a used van

Have 3 months reserves

take all loads for 2 months then you will know what runs make money and those that lose you money

maintain your van

If you this you should be ok

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
When times were better I was one of those that bought a new van every 3 years, I just replaced my 03 GMC with a 95 Chevy, We operate on a shoestring,BUT, we have enought set aside to replace the van if it should get totaled, we watch every penny. We won't use a fuel card from our carrier since they have fees attatched,our bank card has reward points,that we turn in to get gift cards, for fuel,food,wnd whatever else can be used to move the van.I started in 97 with enough. Cash to last about 3 months without a paycheck,otherwise - don't think I would have lasted this long. Watch your pennys and your dollors will take care of themselves! Oh and I've always had GM vans,never drove a ford. But that might be changing when the Transit hits the US market.

replaced an 03 with a 95? Did you get this wrong?

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
replaced an 03 with a 95? Did you get this wrong?
Nope you read it right,the 03 had over 400,000 miles and was needing it's 3rd transmission,the 95 has 40,000 miles and never seen a winter, and I knew the first owner since he bought the van. The 03 hauled 2 skids 2000 pounds,The 95 hauls 2 skids 2000 pounds. To me it was a winner deal.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
It still amazes me how a person figures they can start a business and be self employed and be a success on a shoe string...even to the point of only having enough cash to pay for the drug screen at orientation....but then again, one mans shoe string is can be another mans rope....

Its like marketing,,,they sell u the sizzle, but not the steak. Hes already making money in his mind, but he hasnt turned the key yet.:D