stuck in Memphis

geoguy

Expert Expediter
Been in memphis for 2 days now waiting for a load, any idea on what to do, wait or relocate to where?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
moving or staying depends on what company you are with and how many of their own trucks are there.

Brandy

Expert Expediter
Two days? I'd quit and go work for FDX CC, they have all the loads and the best dispatchers. LOL Okay maybe not the best dispatchers, but
they do try.

Refer Hauler

Expert Expediter
If I was "stuck" in Memphis I would go down to Beale street, But I would probably not surface for at least two days, one of the perks of being independent
regards

GroundHawk

Expert Expediter
I would go to Beale street for sure,was there three weeks ago,but when you have your own authority you can do that,or go over to FedEx at the airport and see what they got. Hawk

coldstart

Expert Expediter
Here's what i do....I don't accept a load that gets me stuck in Memphis. If you must, then tell your dispatcher that you want either first-out or extra pay to get you to a better freight lane. FedEx has good luck out of Memphis but nobody else i've heard of. The more of us expeditors refusing loads because of this type of situation will get our companies off their lazy butts and gather some customers in these areas.

scratchplayer

Expert Expediter
...And I was walking in Memphis. (walking in Memphis)
I was walking with my feet 10 feet off of Beale.
Yeah, I was walking in Memphis. (walking in Memphis)
But do they really know the way I feel.

...I always liked that song.

If I was stuck in Memphis...

I would take out my harmonicas, open up my suitcase (on the sidewalk)
and starting playing for money.

You could always buy a cheap acoustic guitar
and learn to play (with all the layover time
you have). Then you could sit in with a band down there
and make some money that way.

Blues Music Rules

Jeff

Living In A Hole Doesn't Make You Holy. :)

gambler

Expert Expediter
um dont count on companies paying you more or giving first out etc etc because you come to memphis!! plenty of freight moves in and out of there i have never sat more than 1 day there even with a lot of trucks there. this is the nature of our business right?? and i wouldnt be turning down loads just cause they go to memphis or you may be without a contract!! ps. your always "free to leave" memphis on your own.

coldstart

Expert Expediter
Doesn't take long these days to flush out the company employees does it?:p If you never sat in Memphis for over a day you are either new or you have a valuable asset to share or..........

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Guess I must have been lucky too.. Memphis was always one of my favorite places to deliver to.... I also never sat more than a day there... but... like another post said, maybe that's because FedExCC has the Memphis freight more than other companies. Memphis and Jackson both were alway good to me, but I never saw a lot of other companies down there.

Dreamer

bigfoot

Expert Expediter
Hey There Geo,
Wuts up with that ?? U ben around long enough 2 no how it works out here. Sometimes it's hot and sometimes it's just hot outside. Sounds like maybe your just alittle bored. Understandable wen U get stuck in Memphis. Guess I'm not the only 1 that doesn't hav the inside info on Beale St. :7

gambler

Expert Expediter
>Doesn't take long these days to flush out the company
>employees does it?:p If you never sat in Memphis for over a
>day you are either new or you have a valuable asset to share
>or..........

or what???? sorry coldstart im an o/o not a co. employee! sorry if you dont have the ability to control your destiny but i wait on no one!! im sorry the carriers my trucks are leased to are able to keep my trucks moving,maybe its because my trucks take 90+ % of loads offered and do not wait for the t-bone to come our way? and if i were to sit 18hrs i would be picking up a backhaul or 2 as i did from claycomo lastweek and ran a "bh" from topeka to north carolina for $1100. thats about $1 a mile not bad for a freakin b-h!! the $$ is out there for those who really are willing to work for it.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have always done well out of Memphis,rarely stay more then 1 day. However I stayed 2 days on Beale Street once and have some very pleasant memories (Her name was Lisa).True Memphis Belle

RED MAN

Expert Expediter
If I ever get stuck in Memphis, I run south on I-55 to the Shelby Dr.
exit and go by the house for a few days. By the way, there is freight
here if you know where to look for it.