stretching a class8

snapem01

Active Expediter
does anyone know of good shop that does this kind of work? and what does it run with the box and stretch

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Truck tech in Warren MI has done a number for us. Variable depending on a number of options. 21k range or so is right.

Last edited:

GandJ

Active Expediter
Is it the Truck Tech 1880 Hydraulic Drive Howel MI ?

Was wondering what a ballpark cost was too..... thanks for the info John !

jt1980a

Active Expediter
Stretch for just the chassis will depend on how much longer you want to stretch it. How much frame needs to be added? How many driveshafts need to be made and carriers installed? wiring harness extenders? Air lines extended?

I do my stretches in house but I have had quotes before to see what it would cost and to move axles back 4' is about $2800. That is for cutting off all rivets, redrilling and bolting, adding driveshaft, adding abs extension cable, adding air lines. Basically drop off chassis and drive away chassis 2 weeks later. Also, this price is for a tandem axle, air ride.

Monty

Expert Expediter
I often wondered, when a stretch is done, why the wiring harness need to be messed with at all?

Seem an easier solution, and one without problems, would be to wire the box, and place a trailer plug on it, then use the exsisting connectors?

shadow7663

Expert Expediter
JT,

Where did you get that quote from for $2800? Does that include adding the additional frame or just a labor quote ?

jt1980a

Active Expediter
notanewbie,
that would work on older trucks but with the newer trucks they use multiplex wiring or optics to control electronic valve banks to dump air, activate abs, interaxle lock, etc. You need the wiring harness extension to make it work. Plus it is sealed meaning a problem free solution in the future.

Shadow,
I got that quote from Central Wisconsin Body and Hoist in Weston WI (Now called Equipment Lift?), Northern Repair and Welding in Ringle WI also does an excellent job. That did not include the frame. I had enough frame, just had to move axles back 4 feet. They did quote me in the past for other projects that needed frame and they charge the cost of the steel and the bends. In this situation if I were to add frame it would cost an additional $400. But the $2800 quote did include the building another driveshaft 4' long and balanced with carrier bearings, wiring harness, air lines. Basically drop off and come back two weeks later and drive away. Everything complete.

That is a good price but the shop was 1 month behind and I didnt have a month to wait so I did it myself. I did end up sleeving the entire frame up to the back of the steer axle spring hangers. Just wanted the double frame for peice of mind and I had $900 in the steel (1/4" grade 50 frame stock bent to dimension from flat steel).

Last edited:

shadow7663

Expert Expediter
Those are some pretty good prices. Steel prices seem a little off , I presume was not a recent steel price?

We did ours double framed from the sleeper to the back ICC bumper. Moved the axles back similar to yours.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
A place in Dexter, MO quoted me $6,000 to stretch and double frame a FL Century...but that was in '05. They were going to build a complete new drive line if I remember correctly. That truck also had to have frame added before the stretch (not enough there to just slide the axles back). They were highly recommended by a guy here who stretches and builds tractors into the big tow trucks.

Last edited: